Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Karting

Old 03-22-2018, 11:28 PM
Closertotruth
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I am just starting to learn something about this sport. Why all the rib injuries? What causes them?
Old 03-23-2018, 12:25 AM
fabe32
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Not that I am an expert, but my untrained kart body will tell you that it's rough in the turns.
Not so much the G's per se but the constant loose grip then stick, kindof like a jack hammer on the side of your rib cage when you turn.
Remember, no suspension here.
I went acrobatic flying with a friend of mine and we did a few crazy 5-6 G's loops and figures. My core was very sore because of all the tensing the core and squeezing, but it is smooth, so no braking ribs.
Old 09-24-2018, 12:02 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

some updates from the racing front. Got a few cool shots from local photographer who had posted these online.

on-track

Racing his buddy Gage12
Old 09-25-2018, 11:15 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

My nephew completed his first season in kid karts successfully. I'm actually quite proud of him he's developed into a darn good driver as the year has continued and while he's getting outrun by equipment in some situations, he's driving as well as anyone out there which is really impressive. The proud uncle vibes are strong when watching him!!!

My brother and I have also completed our first season in the old fat guy class (Masters Yamaha)...lots of lessons learned along the way but we're within reach of the leaders at this point and I can't wait to get back at it next year. We chose a smaller regional track for the family atmosphere for the little one but jumped into a couple of late season races at New Castle Motorsport Park and did better than expected. Lots to look forward to next year...also big spend compared to this year as we look to upgrade to top notch equipment to make a run at the pointy end of the field.
Old 09-26-2018, 11:17 AM
Porsche917K
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

Great thread! I've had a lot of fun karting over the last several years and highly recommend it. Honestly I find it to be more enjoyably than track days. Especially road racing.

Old 12-11-2018, 11:39 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

a few updated images from our karting adventures.. 2018 was our first full season racing with LAKC. The competition level, throughout all classes, is mind blowing. Amazing how tough it is for us to crack the top ten in the micro class! Reflecting back it was a tough year, a fair amount of crash damage, lessons learned and made some friends along the way.

Old 12-11-2018, 11:52 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

on-board video from last race

Old 12-11-2018, 12:33 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Timely updates. As stated previously my brother and I picked up older chassis to get started on a budget and to see if this hobby was going to stick. It's evolved into a spot where the GT3 will likely take a back seat to the karting this year.

Picked up a 3 race old 2018 Tony Kart 401s. Have one motor going to Woltjer and the other going to Comet to make sure I've got 2 potent bullets in the gun. I've dropped body weight from 234 to under 215 and plan on being around 200 by the time race season rolls around in the spring.

My nephew turns 8 mid season and we've already got the next cadet chassis for him to jump into setup and ready to go. He will continue with kid karts this season but will be testing the cadet no later than May getting ready for that next jump.

Old 12-11-2018, 01:26 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

HI Andy -looks like a clean example you got there! Supernats leftover chassis?

We have a 2016 Tony Kart cadet chassis that I would sell cheap. Let me know if interested!
Old 12-11-2018, 01:52 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Originally Posted by chris walrod
HI Andy -looks like a clean example you got there! Supernats leftover chassis?

We have a 2016 Tony Kart cadet chassis that I would sell cheap. Let me know if interested!
He actually sold it to get a fresh chassis for SuperNats. I’ve got a couple locals that Race SKUSA / WKA etc and they won’t go any more than 3 weekends on a chassis. At their level .1 is the difference between first and 10th and not a risk they can take. I’ll gladly take their used stuff for the club level stuff we are doing.

I allreciate the offer on the cadet cadet but we picked one up last year that my wife used a few outings and is getting passed along now.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:52 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
He actually sold it to get a fresh chassis for SuperNats. I’ve got a couple locals that Race SKUSA / WKA etc and they won’t go any more than 3 weekends on a chassis. At their level .1 is the difference between first and 10th and not a risk they can take. I’ll gladly take their used stuff for the club level stuff we are doing.

I allreciate the offer on the cadet cadet but we picked one up last year that my wife used a few outings and is getting passed along now.
Wow three races a chassis - insane
Old 12-11-2018, 08:34 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

And you wonder why it costs some parents 5k a weekend or more to run karts. I mean hey if you got it more power to ya> i always felt if a parent could Spend $100k to $200k a year for there kid to race karts they may be better off spending $50k and saving that money for when they can jump into a real seat. I may rent a kart here and there this year as i miss running my TAG.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:46 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s

Cool deal - yeah a tenth here and there is big when the field of 30+ are so very close. Insane when you think about it, all the variables etc.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:16 AM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

How does one get into karting these days as an adult? Are there national organizing bodies like NASA and SCCA for road racing? Googling is not showing me much except some arrive and drive facilities like GoPro in NC. I'm near the TN/NC border and want to get back into racing something cheaper than cars (hopefully).
Old 12-13-2018, 01:16 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheAddict
How does one get into karting these days as an adult? Are there national organizing bodies like NASA and SCCA for road racing? Googling is not showing me much except some arrive and drive facilities like GoPro in NC. I'm near the TN/NC border and want to get back into racing something cheaper than cars (hopefully).
ekartingnews.com is a great site. what tracks are close to you? there are a lot of national sanctioning bodies as well. Look up florida winter karting series, if you have time go down there and watch and ask questions.

Depending on what level you want to race at karting can be more or less than racing cars. I remember showing up at a kart race with a 20' trailer , AC, two karts, and thinking how much fun it would be, next thing i know 53' trailers are coming in, people have 4/5 karts 4/5 engines, tuners, etc.... its a fun sport and also some great racing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Karting