Old 12-01-2013, 11:48 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tasracer
I budget 5k for the year

1k to freshen motor and 400 per weekend for tires , prep, hotel and consumables over 10 weekends

I run TAG at the Wilson circuit at Pittsburg international... Formerly beaverun

Sent from my iPad using Rennlist
I can recall 5K per day ...
Old 12-01-2013, 12:09 PM
tasracer
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ltc
I can recall 5K per day ...
Ivan recall MUCH more than That!

Sent from my iPad using Rennlist
Attached Images  
Old 12-03-2013, 11:53 PM
L8Apex
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Karting budgets can easily exceed club racing budgets....or so I've been told.
True...especially at the national level. My son races SKUSA and now Rotax in the cadet class and it aint cheap..top end rebuilds after each race gets pricey. Our last weekend at Supernats in Vegas was close to our entire club level budget last year. Thank you sponsors! By comparison, we are on a shoestring budget vs some of the big teams that are spending over $200k a year in the same class.

As far as the club circuit goes, the karting budget wont come close to the club racing budget unless you taco a chassis or stick a motor or two. For reliability, I would avoid the TAG Leopard motor and go Rotax if budget is an issue. Regardless of what class you run in karting it is absolutely the most fun I've ever had behind the wheel. IMO the negative is when you get behind the wheel of your Pcar it will feel lethargic and slow.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:19 AM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisc
Spent the day at AMP scouting things. Thinking of selling the car racing stuff and getting a TaG 125 cart for me & my daughter to race next season. They ain't exactly cheap at around $7500 new but storage, upkeep, tow vehicle requirements etc. plus entry fees make it a lot more reasonable than club racing.
I love that kart track. I wish I was closer.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:51 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisc
Spent the day at AMP scouting things. Thinking of selling the car racing stuff and getting a TaG 125 cart for me & my daughter to race next season. They ain't exactly cheap at around $7500 new but storage, upkeep, tow vehicle requirements etc. plus entry fees make it a lot more reasonable than club racing.
Similar thinking on my part. Will content NASA ST2 for 2014 and hopefully have a great track to race carts in B'ham by 2015
Old 12-04-2013, 10:18 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,719 Likes on 912 Posts

Originally Posted by My993C2
Google the "Rotax DD2" if you are not familiar with it. It's not as popular than the "Rotax Max", but it has more performance and is a blast to drive. It's my mini-formula car.
Great karts. Ran one for two years. Would like to pick up another but need to relocate to more geographically desirable location first.

This is the only downside to karting:
Attached Images  
Old 12-04-2013, 10:34 AM
morsini
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Great karts. Ran one for two years. Would like to pick up another but need to relocate to more geographically desirable location first.

That's got to hurt!
Old 12-04-2013, 02:19 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

^ that's why I didn't get into karting...

They have a world class kart track over in naples. And a college buddy was into it and suggested it as cheaper alternative to auto racing..

So, before got a race car, I went over and watched a race.

One guy was t-boned and cracked ribs and wrist, (had a impact vest, no matter), another touched wheels and landed on his head. -he was fine.

No ambulance at that race.
I watched his girlfriend load him in the passenger seat and take him to the hospital for xrays.

That day, I decided I couldn't afford to race karts.

like motorcross, you pay with your body.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:57 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by L8Apex
True...especially at the national level. My son races SKUSA and now Rotax in the cadet class and it aint cheap..top end rebuilds after each race gets pricey. Our last weekend at Supernats in Vegas was close to our entire club level budget last year. Thank you sponsors! By comparison, we are on a shoestring budget vs some of the big teams that are spending over $200k a year in the same class.

As far as the club circuit goes, the karting budget wont come close to the club racing budget unless you taco a chassis or stick a motor or two. For reliability, I would avoid the TAG Leopard motor and go Rotax if budget is an issue. Regardless of what class you run in karting it is absolutely the most fun I've ever had behind the wheel. IMO the negative is when you get behind the wheel of your Pcar it will feel lethargic and slow.
I would avoid Rotax at all costs. It's a total cluster F with regards to "sealed engine parity" ... trust me.

Sponsors ... that would have been great
Old 12-04-2013, 05:58 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Nizer

Leatt brace ... don't even think about taking to the kart track without one.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:01 PM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

No worries Obama Care will take care of any bumps & bruises!
Old 12-04-2013, 09:55 PM
MattUF
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Race a 125 Rotax in between DE's and love it, a lot less expensive than crashing a car. Ocala Gran Prix has an absolutely awesome track/staff, and their team drivers (who are there most days pounding out laps) are some of the best in the country. OP, did you do the Andersen race? If you're interested in bang for buck, you could go with a clone, the parity is pretty good from what I've seen, and they use 1 set of tires/1 engine the whole season, etc. It's the "budget" class for now, but in racing that'll last only so long...
Old 12-05-2013, 01:17 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

Sebastian Bourdais, Will Power and Carlos Munez were racing at the SKUSA supernats in Vegas two weeks ago. And they weren't the only pros there karting.

Great way to get seat time and hone your skills. Personally, given the carnage and my age, I would rather do open sessions on a track than actually compete. I will leave that to kids, as we did in Vegas. But great seat time for the buck. Just don't get hooked because it will cost as much or more than club racing. We easily went through $10k in parts on our Praga KZ2 rental kart.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:44 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,719 Likes on 912 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
Great way to get seat time and hone your skills. Personally, given the carnage and my age, I would rather do open sessions on a track than actually compete. I will leave that to kids, as we did in Vegas. But great seat time for the buck.
Yes, this is my approach. Great skill development and conditioning tools but I leave the wheel to wheel stuff for the race car.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:59 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Nizer where in the northeast. They have some nice places to drive them here. I had a yamaha kt100 and a birel with a leopard, thinking of may be picking one up just for driving and conditioning as well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Karting