Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Racing & Drivers Education Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum-65/)
-   -   Power versus manual steering (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/785553-power-versus-manual-steering.html)

sundog 11-10-2013 01:06 PM

Power versus manual steering

So the seals in my 1991 c2 steering rack went a few weeks ago.

The car is street legal but is driven almost exclusively on the track.

The RS America is a manual rack, and I assume the 964 cup cars as well. Should I try and find a manual rack, or stick with the power rack replacement. I haven't found a source for seals to do a rebuild, so a rebuilt is probably in the cards.

Northern Ca tracks are the habitat.

J richard 11-10-2013 01:14 PM

I prefer the manual rack. The only place I miss power steering is in the pits/paddock. Also save a few hp....

Viperbob1 11-10-2013 02:57 PM

The manual racks are really nice. I had a dozen of them a couple years ago I sold as New Old Stock. VERY hard to find them anymore though. There were so few no one rebuilt them and the new inventories are gone. U can occasionally find a used one (there was one here a few weeks ago) but you will spend more than the cost of buying a rebuilt for yours...

Tom W 11-10-2013 03:38 PM

I made the switch in my 964 a few years ago. I don't regret it at all. I can finally feel what the front end of the car is doing.

As Bob said, the manual rack is hard to find now and a rebuilt one will not be cheap. That said, for a track car, I think it is worth it.

Viperbob1 11-10-2013 05:26 PM

Howdy Tom Turtle.... How are things in Turtleville (aka Half Moon Bay)?

Geoffrey 11-11-2013 09:34 AM

Speaking strictly of the 964 chassis, I much prefer the power steering to the manual steering. In the 964 Cups, if you put the front bar full stiff, I cannot physically drive the car for more than about 10 minutes. In a more normal bar position (say middle) it is very stiff and fatigue sets in on longer runs. We've converted some to power steering using the 997 Cup electric power steering and the difference is dramatic.

In my 964RSR I have a manual rack, but the car weighs 2200lbs and has 992 GT2 front suspension which is mounted wider and has revised geometery. It is very good and has a light feel, however, I still prefer the power steering found in a 993RSR/GT2 and feel that it allows one to drive fresher, longer.

sundog 11-11-2013 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Geoffrey (Post 10896591)
Speaking strictly of the 964 chassis, I much prefer the power steering to the manual steering. In the 964 Cups, if you put the front bar full stiff, I cannot physically drive the car for more than about 10 minutes. In a more normal bar position (say middle) it is very stiff and fatigue sets in on longer runs. We've converted some to power steering using the 997 Cup electric power steering and the difference is dramatic.

In my 964RSR I have a manual rack, but the car weighs 2200lbs and has 992 GT2 front suspension which is mounted wider and has revised geometery. It is very good and has a light feel, however, I still prefer the power steering found in a 993RSR/GT2 and feel that it allows one to drive fresher, longer.

Does this use the 964 rack with an electric pump? Or is it another rack?

KaiB 11-11-2013 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by sundog (Post 10896823)
Does this use the 964 rack with an electric pump? Or is it another rack?

Dog, I made the switch in my RSA.

Sold the manual rack, bought a 993 rack and RSR pump and never looked back. I do believe Geoff is on the money here; I also am far less worn at the end of the day.

MUSSBERGER 11-11-2013 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by sundog (Post 10894916)
So the seals in my 1991 c2 steering rack went a few weeks ago.

The car is street legal but is driven almost exclusively on the track.

The RS America is a manual rack, and I assume the 964 cup cars as well. Should I try and find a manual rack, or stick with the power rack replacement. I haven't found a source for seals to do a rebuild, so a rebuilt is probably in the cards.

Northern Ca tracks are the habitat.

I had a student with a track only RSA. Not as heavy as my SC but you certainly could feel it. Might be OK for a whipper snapper like you but this manual steering at 90 degrees and 90% humidity is getting old.

forklift 11-11-2013 12:59 PM

I'd go to power steering tomorrow if I could (even though the main reason I bought a RSA was for the manual rack) but Walt said no-go in PCA stock so it will remain manual. I'm wiped at the end of a weekend (sometimes a day).

Tom W 11-11-2013 01:12 PM

Like Geoff's car, mine has a modified front suspension and the car weighs 2200 lbs. It runs with 11" slicks up front too. Yes, it takes more effort and you tire more quickly. I ran 2 hours straight in an enduro with the power rack and was fine. An hour with the manual rack and I get tired. However, my lap times have come down since the change and I attribute at least a bit of that to the better feed-back I get with what the car is doing in the corners.

Bob: HMB is the same as always. I'm (semi-) retired now and split time between HMB and Santa Rosa (where it's warmer and wine is close).

Dan Jacobs 11-11-2013 01:57 PM

Another vote with Geoff. The electric pump makes slightly less pressure so steering feel is better then the belt driven pump. The effort on the manual rack is way to hard for this old guy

ninjacoco 11-11-2013 03:38 PM

We swapped out the 944's leaky power rack for the manual one as soon as we could! 'Tis a LeMons car, so yeah--it's fine enough on longer drives. (Does remind me that I need to start working out my arms more, haha.)

Haven't tried a 911 with manual steering yet, but I'm guessing it wouldn't be too much worse than the 944 considering that I've got a bunch of extra stupid weight in the nose of my car. :)

claykos 11-11-2013 07:48 PM

Power steering all the way. Having driven several cars with both, the electric pump and power rack are the setup to have.

J richard 11-11-2013 07:58 PM

Bunch of sissies...lol