Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time to replace Girdisc rotors?

Old 11-07-2013, 05:05 PM
David in VA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time to replace Girdisc rotors?

First time using these rotors and very happy with them but I don't know if they have any life left. Thickness is above minimum stamped on the hat (but not by much) and cracks are starting to become more pronounced. Does anybody have any feedback on when to replace due to cracks? These have 23 track days on them when I used to get around 10-12 with OEM.

Thanks
David
Attached Images    
Old 11-07-2013, 05:46 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,390 Likes on 743 Posts

Top pic shows a crack at 12 o'clock that goes to the edge of the rotor. This is my signal to replace...
Old 11-07-2013, 07:26 PM
p997s123
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I only had 10 track days on my Girodiscs before they cracked. 996 GT3. All DE.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:30 PM
Stable Energies
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to hear you've been enjoying your Girodisc rotors, they do tend to outlast OEM and other brands by quite a bit.

It's difficult to tell from the picture, but if you can't catch a fingernail on any of the cracks they are more surface cracks than anything and are not really a big deal. The crack at 12 o'clock in picture #1 seems to be very faint and probably won't cause any issues.

I would say just by going off of these pictures the rotors should be good for at least one more track weekend, but personally I would keep my eyes on them (never a bad idea), and maybe have a replacement set with you and ready to go.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:19 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 186 Posts

I replace them. Lasted twice as long as oem. Got good mileage on them. Better safe than sorry. Mike
Old 11-07-2013, 10:01 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 73 Posts

These look way beyond cracked to me. The touch test will show also show you how much the cracks will eat your pads, but visually these rotors look wrecked to me. Replace them ASAP.

But just 23 Track days? I dunno.. Mine seem to last forever. Certainly twice OEM is the expectation, but more like four times OEM for me.

"David in VA" and p997s123 (FL) are both in very hot locations. Maybe thats a factor.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:03 PM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
I replace them. Lasted twice as long as oem. Got good mileage on them. Better safe than sorry. Mike
Well put.

Stable Energies, what's a replacement cost?
Old 11-08-2013, 07:46 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Car is looking good David!
Old 11-08-2013, 10:14 AM
David in VA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input. I did take a spare set to the last two events just in case and kept a close eye on them. No cracks that I can catch a fingernail on but I'll change them out before next event.

Paddy, new hats and rotors are around $1,000 and replacement rotors are around $600 plus hardware if I remember correctly.

Larry, thanks. Car is running great and loads of fun.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:55 AM
Stable Energies
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Paddy
Well put.

Stable Energies, what's a replacement cost?
Originally Posted by David in VA
Paddy, new hats and rotors are around $1,000 and replacement rotors are around $600 plus hardware if I remember correctly
That pricing is correct, but the new hardware is now included with the rotor rings, no need to purchase separately, a savings of $90 for a pair of rotors!
Old 11-08-2013, 11:59 AM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks for the info fellas.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:14 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Girodisc announces a brand new rotor casting that will be used on most applications with an outside diameter between 345mm and 355mm
• Braking Performance: The forty-eight directionally curved vanes act as a centrifugal air pump and actively move cooling air through the rotor as it rotates, helping to shed heat quick and reduce brake pad fading. The discs are also slotted, allowing a maximized contact at the interface between pad and disc as the edges of the slots continuously clean and refresh the pad surface.
• High Quality Materials: The Girodisc rotors use only the highest quality materials and components. The rotors are high carbon content iron for long wear and stable thermal performance. We have developed alloy combinations that are consistently outperforming anything we’ve had in the past. This is proven on both the brake dyno and the race track. We have worked closely with American foundries and testing facilities to help us design our castings and tooling to make the best possible product. This is a commitment to our customer and our country’s economy. All our iron is poured in the US.
The center hat section is aircraft grade 6061 billet aluminum with a charcoal grey color Military spec type II anodized finish. We use only American made aluminum from Kaiser, Alcoa and SAPA. The disc hardware consists of cadmium plated high strength alloy steel drive bushings which take the load from braking actions while maintaining the float between the hat and disc. Girodisc manufactures all these components in-house to our own specifications. Disc machining, hat machining and pin machining all happens at our facility in Bellingham, WA.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Time to replace Girdisc rotors?