Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Most Dangerous Corners in the US?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 05:16 PM
Racerrob
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

How so? Sure you can drive around any track at 35 mph and be perfectly safe but a mistake or a failure at the limit on some of these corners and you are guaranteed to hit something.

Originally Posted by ProCoach
The most dangerous corners are the ones YOU make dangerous...
Old 07-21-2014, 05:18 PM
Racerrob
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Charlie,

I believe it reopened at some level. At least one SCCA region fixed and paved the holes that were the last big problem.

I just noticed this thread again. It predated the closing of Nelson Ledges, but I haven't heard anything on that front in a while. I wonder what the latest is.[/QUOTE]
Old 07-23-2014, 09:27 PM
Burkey
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Arkadi
Prof: I doubt I have as many laps at Nelson's as you, but I have seen more cars climb the tires and end up in the woods than just bruised.

Agree on Mosport, love that place, but, damn!
Mosport is my home track, don't know why but 2 has never bothered me, much safer now with the new paving, agree with everyone about 4 it can be scary if you turn in late until this week the esses at the Glen have always grabbed my attention, but I just spent 2 days at Mont Tremblant with the Rennsport guys, great group for anyone that wants to venture up. Had a sore *** by the end of 2 days from clenching over the top of one, got better as I adjusted the suspension but damn that is a scary corner.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:53 PM
Vonschmidt
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems as if the majority of tracks simply have not changed their layouts or kept current with technology. While this is no doubt economics at work we need to insure that as future tracks are designed they address these needs. You don't need the amazing expensive to install and maintain COTA styled walls but more runoff area, some separation between track and walls, external pavement increasing the stopping power before you hit the grass, are all simple common sense solutions for future tracks. We as a community should support tracks where given a choice that are safer and reduce our uapsage of the ones that are dangerous. Market forces will work.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:48 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,801 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Originally Posted by Arkadi
a failure at the limit on some of these corners and you are guaranteed to hit something.
Yep. And your right foot, comfort, confidence and LOCAL KNOWLEDGE determine that limit... You cannot legislate against every possibility...

If you feel that way about a particular corner, back off. Leave more of a margin.

Originally Posted by Burkey
I just spent 2 days at Mont Tremblant . Had a sore *** by the end of 2 days from clenching over the top of two, got better as I adjusted the suspension but damn that is a scary corner.
Yep, one of the BEST!

Originally Posted by Vonschmidt
We as a community should support tracks where, given a choice, that are safer. And reduce our usage of the ones that are dangerous. Market forces will work.
Don't know about that. Everyone's risk/benefit ratio is different. To each, their own...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 07-25-2014, 12:02 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

No T17 Sebring?
Old 07-25-2014, 08:21 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 101 Posts

Mosport is my home track, don't know why but 2 has never bothered me, much safer now with the new paving, agree with everyone about 4 it can be scary if you turn in late until this week the esses at the Glen have always grabbed my attention, but I just spent 2 days at Mont Tremblant with the Rennsport guys, great group for anyone that wants to venture up. Had a sore *** by the end of 2 days from clenching over the top of one, got better as I adjusted the suspension but damn that is a scary corner.
It was nice to meet you at LCMT and see your car. We had some good runs together (read: me giving you passing signals).

Will be heading to Mosport in 2 weeks for the 1st time... gonna need some help!

Cheers

Matt
Old 07-25-2014, 10:21 PM
chartersb
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 31 Posts

Mosport's a bucket list track and a favorite of the pro's.
In two weeks the Can Am Challenge at Mosport is a PCA Club Racing event, a BMW Club Racing event and an Solo Open event. Fun for all. Go to http://clubregistration.net, http://www.bmwccaclubracing.com or http://reg.pcaucr.org/registration/. Man up and show up it's an awesome and rewarding track.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:42 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

All corners are dangerous. Your welcome.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:44 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
No T17 Sebring?
Turn 16 scares me more than 17 what with the concrete barriers. I crashed there about 5 years ago. If I ever crash in 17, I may agree with you. :-)
Old 07-26-2014, 03:29 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Your car looked great.

There are exciting ways over 1-2-3 at Tremblant and less exciting ways. Better to stay to the far right at the top as the left is bumpy. There are some other nuances as well on the front straight, turn in and at the bottom of the hill for the turn in for 3 and entry to the Esses.

You can carry tremendous speed over 1-2-3 but you better have the brakes and tire grip to slow for the Esses. One of the reasons I am not crazy about Nittos on my car is that I had an unintended rotation commence going around 3 and the car took a long time to straighten out and slow down because there wasn't the grip in the tires I was used to with Sport Cups.

T7 has always scared me much more.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:32 AM
Burkey
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
It was nice to meet you at LCMT and see your car. We had some good runs together (read: me giving you passing signals).

Cheers

Matt
Matt absolutely I am racing that weekend but I will bring some video that will help for sure, you are going to love the track

Burkey
Old 07-27-2014, 12:25 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Lane

Cheers

Matt
Matt, come find me. White toter home. SPB 93 + 944 Turbocup.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:33 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
No T17 Sebring?
Yep! Use to be full throttle at the bridge...until I hit the bump and lost the rear end...at full throttle. Never understood why and what I did wrong...wasn't turning in too sharp and pinching it...same line as always.

No more full throttle at the bridge...that ordeal slowed me down a few mph...LOL
Old 07-27-2014, 11:35 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Yep! Use to be full throttle at the bridge...until I hit the bump and lost the rear end...at full throttle. Never understood why and what I did wrong...wasn't turning in too sharp and pinching it...same line as always.

No more full throttle at the bridge...that ordeal slowed me down a few mph...LOL
A little pucker factor tends to do they to you.

Peter

Quick Reply: Most Dangerous Corners in the US?