Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Most Dangerous Corners in the US?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 11:59 AM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

and turn 2, 3, 5, and 9... was just there this weekend. Very fun track (one of my favorites)... but really really crazy how in this day and age, there are still a possibility to be launched into the air by huge banked dirt mounds, and then follow it up by being impaled by trees when you land. Oh yeah, don't forget about the critters (ground hog and deer both suffered premature deaths this weekend, along with some major car damage). corvette owner may still be cleaning the deer guts and feces from under his fingernails and from inside his belly button. Really nasty.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:12 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Summit must be the rollover king of the US
Old 10-21-2013, 12:41 PM
FrankyV
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean F
Having hit one there, I worry more about the deer. Seems to be there is at least one deer strike or near miss every weekend there.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:16 PM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ninjabones
Summit point turn 4
Originally Posted by DTMiller
+996
Originally Posted by ninjabones
and turn 2, 3, 5, and 9... was just there this weekend. Very fun track (one of my favorites)... but really really crazy how in this day and age, there are still a possibility to be launched into the air by huge banked dirt mounds, and then follow it up by being impaled by trees when you land. Oh yeah, don't forget about the critters (ground hog and deer both suffered premature deaths this weekend, along with some major car damage). corvette owner may still be cleaning the deer guts and feces from under his fingernails and from inside his belly button. Really nasty.
+1
Old 10-21-2013, 05:01 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisc
Cevert was killed when he hit the Armco & landed cockpit side down on top of the Armco. Koenig was killed the following year when he went off and submarined the Armco.
Cevert was not decapitated. As stated, he wound up upside down atop the armco, and was pretty much cut in half. Koenig was decapitated, and is pretty much the topic of that early scene in "Rush". The armco was also found to be at fault, as it was improperly installed. In the aftermath, thousands of washers were inserted to the fasteners to correct it.

Originally Posted by Sean F
Possibly, but only since Bridgehampton is gone.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:17 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 366 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by gums
Cevert was not decapitated. As stated, he wound up upside down atop the armco, and was pretty much cut in half.
Just received the new MotorSport mag and Cevert is featured to commemorate
40 years since his passing.

Gary
Old 10-21-2013, 10:33 PM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 268 Likes on 172 Posts

Koenig was decapitated, and is pretty much the topic of that early scene in "Rush". The armco was also found to be at fault, as it was improperly installed. In the aftermath, thousands of washers were inserted to the fasteners to correct it.
The Koenigg accident was pretty crazy. Some reports described that it should have been a minor accident if the armco hadn't folded when his car hit. There are pictures out there showing the poor guy's head siting on top of the car, separated from his body ...

Koenigg raced Porsches for both the Martini team and the Porsche factory in '73 and '74. He was one of the drivers of the Carrera RSR turbo (precursor to the 935) in 1974.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:43 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

It occurred at the toe of the boot, but not at the entrance to it, a little further up and around.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:03 AM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It occurred at the toe of the boot, but not at the entrance to it, a little further up and around.
Was standing on hill right above it, something I will never forget. He hit the end of the end of the trackside armco barrier that slightly overlapped the outside barrier, which created an opening for safety vehicles. Another car, don't recall whom, might have been the M Donohue car, was pushed back through the opening earlier in the race. Speculation was if he had hit the solid barrier and not at an opening it might not of been so bad. It was very bad and obviously catastrophic but I don't recall seeing anything detached like a helmut. The story at the time was he was not removed as New York state law prevented moving a decedent until the corner could investigate the site. They decided the car was not in a dangerous place so they put a tarp over the car until the end of the race when the corner came in by helicopter. That wouldn't happen today, would have been red flagged for sure.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:23 AM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts

The ones with oil or anti-freeze on them.......
Old 10-22-2013, 12:25 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chrisc
Was standing on hill right above it, something I will never forget.
Pretty horrific, Chris, and you describe the scene very accurately. The overlap for vehicle access has since been removed, but this is very much how the librarian at the Motor Racing Library that I was recently speaking with described it. He also mentioned that the Donohue car was in the vicinity.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:54 PM
tarzwell
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

from that crazy guy Tarzwell in Ontario well you did suck at turn 2 sorry , lol good old times but then again in the mini or moke turn one was flat and a little lift for 2 at 1:40"s
Old 07-18-2014, 03:12 AM
btwyx
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are not many dangerous corners on tracks I've been on. The closest is turn 10 at Sonoma. Turn 9 is the fastest part of the track, and its the entry to turn 10, while you're aimed directly at a concrete wall which is only 30ft from the track.

I got an appreciation for this when I had a wobble in the middle of turn 9, while doing about 100 (aimed at a concrete wall).

The turn 11 hairpin at Sonoma is also a little intimidating, if you don't get your braking right, the wall wraps around the corner. Similarly, the top of the corkscrew at Laguna, there's not a lot of run off, and the hill crest at 7 tempts you to mess up your braking. I've seen pros crash there, its not pretty.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:58 AM
winders
Race Car

Received 762 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by btwyx
There are not many dangerous corners on tracks I've been on. The closest is turn 10 at Sonoma. Turn 9 is the fastest part of the track, and its the entry to turn 10, while you're aimed directly at a concrete wall which is only 30ft from the track.
The turn 11 hairpin at Sonoma is also a little intimidating, if you don't get your braking right, the wall wraps around the corner.
The only concrete wall near turn 10 is well after the turn on the short straight between turns 10 and 11. The entirety of the outside of turn 10 is lined with tire barriers. As is most of turn 11. The exit of 11 points you right at a concrete wall but this is the slowest corner on the track.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:57 AM
chartersb
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 31 Posts

Speaking of Mosport.... The faster you go the faster and further you can go off. Mosport is really fast. It's a pro driver favorite. There's a Club Race weekend there August 8-10. It's a joint event with PCA races, BMWCC races and a solo DE group. Man up and show up.

Quick Reply: Most Dangerous Corners in the US?