Sponsored by:

Another Noob question

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 12:36 PM
Gino230
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Noob question

Sorry if this is a dumb question but- what do you guys do for fuel at the track? Assuming you don't run race gas (I don't). Do you just stop at shell and fill up your car on the way to the track?

I'm doing a 2 day deal at Homestead this weekend with FARA- 4 sessions per day I believe- I have no idea how much fuel I'll burn. (stock 944 NA) I have a 15 gal drum from VP and a fuel pump that I could fill up with 98 Unleaded as a backup.

Thanks in advance for helping the newbie.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:51 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes fill the car on the way and probably at least once more per day. Fuel consumption will vary depending on the intensity of the session. Some gas at the track is useful, many tracks have pumps although the fuel tends to be pricey.
My 3.8 cup, which is about the same engine as a street GT3, burns ~ 1 liter/minute at race speeds....so 1 US Gal in 3.8 minutes.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:11 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 173 Posts

If you run 93 just fill it on the way, add whatever you need during the day at lunch time by running out to a nearby gas station if the gas at the track is way overpriced. At Summit Point I found that the gas at the track was the same price as public stations in CT! I bet in a 944 with a greenie driving you will only use 1/2 - 3/4 tank all day...
Old 10-08-2013, 09:58 AM
stuartjar
AutoX

I run Homestead quite frequently. Your fuel consumption will vary upon the intensity as stated above. There are several gas stations within a few miles of the track. Just fill up in the morning then fuel up again at lunch. That should easily get you through the day. I usually use a little less than half a tank per session so I am ready for fuel at lunch. I would definitely recommend fueling back up at lunch even if it looks like you have enough fuel for the rest of the day especially if you are new to the track. Times can be a little tight between sessions and you wouldn't want to have to run out between sessions 3 & 4 for fuel or to run out of fuel prematurely during a session and have to come in early and miss valuable track time.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:37 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stuartjar
I run Homestead quite frequently. Your fuel consumption will vary upon the intensity as stated above. There are several gas stations within a few miles of the track. Just fill up in the morning then fuel up again at lunch. That should easily get you through the day. I usually use a little less than half a tank per session so I am ready for fuel at lunch. .
You use close to 1/2 a tank per session? I use "close" to 5 gallons per session, and that's running 8-9 10ths in my SC. I would think a beginner, in a 944, would use about 2-3 gal per session (25 minutes?).
Old 10-08-2013, 10:40 AM
stuartjar
AutoX

Actually, I do stand corrected on that. I use a little over a quarter tank per session so by lunch I have used a half tank or more and refuel. Thanks for the catch.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:42 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stuartjar
Actually, I do stand corrected on that. I use a little over a quarter tank per session so by lunch I have used a half tank or more and refuel. Thanks for the catch.
I have been thinking of an 09-10 Cayman S PDK as a play car and you scared me!
Old 10-08-2013, 10:45 AM
stuartjar
AutoX

Sorry for the morning scare. It is also my daily driver. I get around 27 - 28 MPG highway, 22 - 23 MPG City and 9 MPG on the Track. It is a great car. Absolutely love it.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:59 AM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Homestead has fuel, (sunoco) pricey. but who knows how old....

most go to town for lunch and get fuel then. (unless you are running over 98octane)
tons of gas stations, its the last stop before the keys.

(food at track is just ok if they open... ) I usually go to miami subs right across palm ave. (due west from track).

ps: my burn rate is 10gal/hour. -try to find your burn rate in hours...
Old 10-11-2013, 02:35 AM
Gino230
Advanced

Thanks guys. I run Homestead 5-6 times a year on the bikes so I'm familiar with the layout, location of the stations, etc. Makes sense to just drive to the chevron and top off at lunch.

It's a 140 HP car so I can't imagine it burns all that much, but I'm going to try and figure out how many gallons / HR so I have some kind of baseline. I gave up eating at that track many years ago- I just bring a cooler. That snack place at HMS is notorious for not opening at all if it's slow.

FARA has placed me in the Novice Solo run group, point by on the straights. This should be great for getting to know the car, the club, etc. I'm really looking forward to it.

Thanks again for all the tips and advice, on this and the trailering thread. The P-car community has been very supportive, and for that I'm thankful!
Old 10-11-2013, 10:20 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Provided the prices at the track are not outrageous, if I need gas mid-day, I generally get it at the track. It's there more as a convenience for us than a big profit center in my opinion, and I like to support those kind of services at the track.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:56 AM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mglobe
Provided the prices at the track are not outrageous, if I need gas mid-day, I generally get it at the track. It's there more as a convenience for us than a big profit center in my opinion, and I like to support those kind of services at the track.
I agree with this. I used to get gas off track and then realized that it didn't cost that much more at the track and it is important to support that business or risk it going away.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:00 AM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Probably around 4 gallons per session for the SP1. (Obviously depending on run time) I have a fuel cell so I bring my own No Ethanol fuel with me to each race weekend. Daytona was a little higher burn rate.

I can do an entire race weekend typically with (6) 6 gallon jugs. I like to run with the tank well below half, just so you get a feel for what the car will be like at race weight. Maybe start the first day at a half tank, take some fuel jugs along in the truck for the second day so you can get the fuel level lower during run sessions.

With our massive amount of power every pound counts.

Quick Reply: Another Noob question