Sponsored by:

trailering

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 05:31 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by linzman
No parking brake, and in neutral. Just remember to put the brake on or put it back in gear before undoing the tie down straps when you unload. Ask me how I know. I swear it looked like a flat parking lot.
What he said. I usually place mine in gear before I remove the tie downs as my parking brake disappeared along time ago.

The U-Haul Trailers come with a very efficient tie down system and I would stick with it. Be sure to shift the driver's side fender before you drive on to the trailer or you will never get your door open or you will have to do a dukes of hazard imitation.

The 944's unlike their 911 brethern are evenly balanced so it doesn't matter which way you place the car on the trailer. I find it easier to drive on to a trailer and backing off instead of vice versa.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:05 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Good tie straps are worth the extra money, you'll use them 10,000 times and appreciate them each time.
Get the hooks that go to the rear shock mount, they make it a lot easier. If you criss cross the rear straps they'll tend to bend in over time.
If you need ramp extensions, RaceRamps are also worth it; light weight and easy to use.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:59 PM
TurboCup87
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by linzman
No parking brake, and in neutral. Just remember to put the brake on or put it back in gear before undoing the tie down straps when you unload. Ask me how I know. I swear it looked like a flat parking lot.
Disagree with no parking brake.

1. Car can move moderately when braking or accelerating with straps only. On a long tow, $hit could happen.

2. a friend once had his race 911 come loose after 200 miles of towing. He watched it go a couple hundred yards before it stopped against a fence causing a bent front bumper and fender. Fortunately it didn't hit an oncoming car.

Towing is always potentially dangerous. I like to maximize my odds.
Old 10-12-2013, 03:06 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 894 Likes on 547 Posts

Look at it this way: you won't brake anything if you set the parking brake and it avoids the "oh ****" moment when you remove the straps and the car starts rolling off the trailer.

Quick Reply: trailering