Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daytona drivers school...!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 11:05 AM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Did it last year and hopefully this year as well, Dave puts on a great event....
Old 09-25-2013, 03:24 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Dave

Good luck with this event. You guys do an excellent job maximizing track time.

I would like to make your participants aware that I've worked out storage and car maintenance at Sebring Raceway if any of your participants want to leave there car in Florida for the winter. There are a number of DE and racing venues from October thru March. Here is a link to my post, I'll update it with more details soon https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=23424
Old 09-26-2013, 09:27 AM
Dave Pierson
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the Kind words Jerry, I might actually have a couple of guys that need the car stored for a bit, so I will connect them with you..
can you come again this year and do your thing with the camera and data systems?

CU soon..
DP
Old 09-26-2013, 09:36 AM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Dave

I've got the event on my calendar, hope to make it for at least one day. I'll be at the PCA Club race next weekend and I'll post flyers for your event if you e-mail me one.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:01 PM
Skip Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is truly a must do event. It took Dave 5-6 years of bugging me to go and then I finally did last year and was pissed that Dave didn't convince me to go earlier! The facilities are so over the top compared to most tracks that it adds a level of excitement. The track itself is phenomenal. I was hitting 175 mph each lap and was lifting because of lack of big enough attachments. Dave also have a handful of pro teams out there testing which is cool as hell as well. Nothing like getting passed by the Audi Motorsports R8 GT car as well as the Patron Ferraris.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:04 PM
Skip Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually wrote an article for our PCA newsletter on the event. Here it is fwiw:

170 mph. That is officially the speed that scares me when driving a car on a track. Until last month, the fastest I have ever been on the track about 150-160 mph, and that never bothered me. However, this past month I got a chance to drive a GT3 on Daytona International Speedway and exceeded 170 mph almost every lap and it scared me every time.

Dave Pierson started the Audi Club Drivers Ed event at Daytona about 7 years ago, and has a big contingent of Northern Ohio track junkies who have religiously gone down every year. While he has been trying to convince me to come down since its inception, I have never been able to swing it. However, this year, I didn't have any scheduling conflicts and when Kent Winter invited me to drive his GT3 down there, I couldn't resist. I now know that Daytona is not just another track and this is not just another event.

I flew down the Thursday before the event started and Dave came and picked me up from the airport which is right next to the track. To get into Dayton, you have to drive through a tunnel which goes under NASCAR Turn 1, and as soon as you exit the tunnel you see Turn 1 looming over you. At 31 degrees, the high banked turn looks like a wall and holy s*@# was the only thing I could think of to say. It looked like there was no was a car could hold onto such steep banking. The rest of Thursday was spent checking out the facility which was just spectacular. Everything is first class and larger than life.

I got my first ride Friday morning with Patrick Hawkins in his 996 TT, and was blown away. We were running the Rolex 24 configuration with the infield road course and all three banked turns of the tri-oval. The infield course is a straight forward road course that is fairly easy to learn. So when we came out of the pit into the road course it was no big deal. But then we exited T6 of the infield course and went up onto the high banked T1 and holy s*@# was once again the only thing I could say while Patrick laughed at me. It is a very surreal feeling to be going around a corner and feel yourself forced down into the seat as the car accelerates. The curvature and steepness of the banking makes is so that you only see asphalt out of the front and rear windows – no horizon. Look out the right window and you see the wall flying by you at 150+ mph and out the left window you see the ground.

I spent the next three days in sensory overload as I continued to learn the track and get used to the speeds. I would routinely get to about 175 mph on the front straight which is actually an 18 degree turn. It scared me every single time and I would always lift a ways before the braking zone where I would be braking from the fastest point on the track to the slowest corner. Chip Herr, a pro driver that was instructing fellow NORPCA member Joe Lombardo, took Kent’s GT3 out and kept his foot in it until the last minute and was able to hit 186 mph at which point he would stand on the brakes, make the 6-5-4-3 downshift, and dance the car into Turn 1 of the road course.

What an unbelievable experience, and I highly recommend giving it a try.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:16 AM
Dave Pierson
Advanced

This is a good Video from Van's Mustang, of the Audi........ Perhaps a little late pass, but it is the "A" Group....

Love that facility...

DP
Old 09-30-2013, 08:32 AM
Dave Pierson
Advanced

All the momentum car guys are going to be bummed......

http://www.news-journalonline.com/ar...9985?p=1&tc=pg

The power guys are going to love it....! Start working on your Aero package, and drafting skillset now...!
Old 10-02-2013, 11:39 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Bumparoo for the Audi guys!
Old 10-07-2013, 10:35 AM
Dave Pierson
Advanced

Thanks Jerry...!
Old 11-26-2013, 04:46 PM
Dave Pierson
Advanced

We sure could use some more instructors at this event....!

If you are on the fence and want some Daytona time this is the place....!

Instructors at needed..................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the look.....
Old 11-26-2013, 04:49 PM
Dave Pierson
Advanced

Information on the event...

http://www.tech9it.com/daytona/

Quick Reply: Daytona drivers school...!