Old 09-05-2013, 07:10 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,872 Likes on 1,709 Posts
Default Kimi and Alonso Silly Season

Räikkönen wants answers from Lotus

5 September 2013

Kimi Räikkönen says he will not open discussions with Lotus over a 2014 race seat until the assurances he has been seeking throughout the season are provided.

With his options being narrowed after Red Bull picked Daniel Ricciardo to partner Sebastian Vettel next year, Lotus appears to be Räikkönen's most likely home, but an uncompleted deal with the Infinity Racing group has created financial uncertainty.

And while his questions remain unanswered, discussions are to remain at a halt.

"They know the reasons why there is no going forward right now," Räikkönen told the gathered media at the Monza circuit on Thursday. "Until they sort out those issues we cannot talk about next year. It is as simple as that. They know exactly the reasons."

Räikkönen went on to explain that he is not unduly disappointed to have missed out on a Red Bull seat, appearing to understand the team's decision to promote a junior.

"I don't think anything went wrong," he explained. "They probably wanted a different thing. For me it doesn't really matter. It is fine and it is not the first time. Sometimes you speak with people and it doesn't work out. There can be 10 reasons, but I have no idea. I think they took the option they think is the best and that's fair enough."

With Ferrari said to be Räikkönen's biggest opportunity away from Lotus, the 2007 World Champion reiterated that he holds no grudges against any former employers, despite leaving the Maranello-based squad on unsavoury terms at the end of 2009.

"I never had anything against anybody," he said. "Obviously certain things could have been different in the past in many areas, not just at Ferrari but at many teams."
Old 09-05-2013, 07:13 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

So now that the 2nd RBR seat is filled, Alonso has new found loyalty....

Alonso pledges F1 future to Ferrari

5 September 2013

Fernando Alonso has pledged his Formula 1 future to Ferrari amid recent rumours that the two-time World Champion was considering a move away from the outfit.

Sparked after a meeting between his manager and Red Bull team boss Christian Horner at the Hungaroring and heightened in the wake of controversial comments about Ferrari's performance, speculation had linked Alonso to a shock switch.

But the Spaniard has now brushed aside the reports, which included the suggestion of a gap year, insisting that he intends to honour the remainder of his Ferrari contract.

"It was only rumours, a lot of rumours," Alonso stated during Thursday afternoon's press conference at Monza. "There were rumours about Red Bull, there were rumours in Italy about a sabbatical year. There were so many rumours. But I still have three-and-a-half more years with Ferrari which I intend to respect and hopefully increase a little bit. [I will] try to finish my career in the best team in the world – which is Ferrari."

On the subject of a sabbatical, Alonso added: "Never an option. I'm in the best moment of my career with the best experience and performing at the best time. I will not miss any opportunity. I know that I'm still in very good shape for maybe four, five more years. I will give this 100 percent of my passion, that is motorsport and my career."

Alonso went on to discuss the championship situation ahead of this weekend's Italian Grand Prix, admitting that if he cannot cut the 46-point gap to Sebastian Vettel over the next two races, Ferrari should look at focusing its entire efforts on the 2014 season.

"We only closed the gap in Silverstone when he [Vettel] retired," Alonso commented. "We need to change this situation; we will be happy finishing in front of him here in Monza and in Singapore. And finishing in front of him means being on the podium at the minimum. We know how strong he is and how competitive Red Bull will be.

"If we cannot finish in front of him and keep losing points then we need to start thinking of the 2014 project because there will only be six or seven races remaining with a massive points gap. These [Italy and Singapore] are two important races."
Old 09-05-2013, 07:15 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default New Jersey is out

Mexico on 21-race draft 2014 calendar

5 September 2013

Formula 1 looks set to feature an unprecedented 21 races next season, with the first draft of the provisional 2014 calendar being revealed to teams bosses.

The most significant change to the roster, which needs to be ratified at a meeting of the FIA's World Motor Sport Council (WMSC) in Croatia from September 26-28, is that of a return to Mexico, while the proposed New Jersey event is no longer featured.

As anticipated, the season is scheduled to begin in Australia on March 16, as part of a back-to-back with Malaysia. Korea has been pencilled in at a new date of April 13, with the returning Austrian Grand Prix slotting in on June 22, directly before Silverstone.

The inaugural Russian Grand Prix looks set to be held on October 19, the first in a double-header with Abu Dhabi. Mexico follows on November 9, the race twinned with Austin. Once again, Interlagos has been placed as the final round on November 30.

Draft 2014 Formula 1 calendar

Australia, Melbourne – March 16
Malaysia, Sepang – March 23
China, Shanghai – April 6
Korea, Yeongam – April 13*
Bahrain, Sakhir – April 27
Spain, Barcelona – May 11
Monaco, Monaco – May 25
Canada, Montreal – June 8
Austria, Spielberg – June 22
Britain, Silverstone – July 6
Germany, Hockenheim – July 20
Hungary, Budapest – July 27
Belgium, Spa – August 24
Italy, Monza – September 7
Singapore, Marina Bay – September 21
Japan, Suzuka – October 5
Russia, Sochi – October 19*
Abu Dhabi, Yas Marina – October 26
Mexico, Mexico City – November 9*
USA, Austin – November 16
Brazil, Interlagos – November 30

* (subject to contract)
Old 09-05-2013, 08:24 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Alonso pledges his future to Ferrari.

Translation: no other top team wants me and I've burned my bridges and Luca bitch slapped me in public with my sponsor's contract.

His best bet for a WDC: 2014 with all the uncertainty regarding reliability, coupled with them abandoning the current design and shifting everything to 2014, once they realize this season is lost.

Newey should "design" a RBR DNF and force Ferrari to stay in the 2013 development, then defeat them as late as possible for the WDC.
But instead I think they are going to win the WCC and WDC as soon as possible then shift 100% to 2014 design.

Personally, as soon as the 2013 WCC is secured, I would launch Webber early and get Daniel into the RB9.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:31 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm with Lewis. Win the titles as quickly as possible and abandon the 2013 car.

Alonso says they have 2 races to make up ground or throw in the towel on 2013. I think 3 races from now those things will be decided unless Seb wins Monza. In that case, I think Ferrari moves on right away. Putting all their 2013 hopes in RB DNFs.

Shame that a better ride is not available for Kimi. He is one of the elite 4 drivers on the grid, but has the 4th best car. I guess putting Merc 3rd, as i am, is a bit murky. Still, a better ride, Kimi wins.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:24 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

^^^^

I am on page with both of those posts. I thought they might let Webber go on and get Ric in.

I wish Kimi had a better car . Then they could mix it up. And it would be
more fun .
Old 09-05-2013, 10:54 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,401 Likes on 748 Posts

Kimi & Alonso, you say...

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 01-22-2014 at 11:53 PM.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:50 AM
9.5 Degrees
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

This is interesting because Kimi doesn't have good options. I cannot see Alonso pairing with Kimi because I can't see Kimi being in a supporting role.

Aside from Ferrari, who else can he go to? Button is at the end of his contract, could Kimi be going back to McLaren to pair up with Perez?

There really isn't any other team that can be competitive that have open seats besides the 2 mentioned.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:46 AM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Ricciardo got the good seat, so the rest of the paddock carries on with the status quo. Kimi stays at Lotus, maybe Hulk in Massa's tiny seat.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:10 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Where there is smoke there is fire. Briatore saying that there are 3 roosters in F1, Alonso, Vettel and Hamilton and purposefully omitting Kimi leads me to believe he is nervous about Kimi going to Ferrari along side hiss aged driver.

Further, there are no more competitive seats available and if Kimi wanted to sign with Lotus, he would have by now. It's not a negotiation tactic for moreover because Lotus doesn't have any. Outside chance at McLaren but not his style.

Luca has finally witnessed the ugly side of Alonso. FA played his cards thinking RBR would want him and they declined, and why wouldn't they with a home grown 4 time WDC in house.

Alonso hasn't done anything wrong from a driving point of view but the "rat jumping ship" disloyalty is what will do him in. Calling the team stupid on the radio only hardens their resolve to replace him. 2014 will be Alonso's last year at Ferrari
Old 09-09-2013, 01:56 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Pete
Where there is smoke there is fire. Briatore saying that there are 3 roosters in F1, Alonso, Vettel and Hamilton and purposefully omitting Kimi leads me to believe he is nervous about Kimi going to Ferrari along side hiss aged driver.

Further, there are no more competitive seats available and if Kimi wanted to sign with Lotus, he would have by now. It's not a negotiation tactic for moreover because Lotus doesn't have any. Outside chance at McLaren but not his style.

Luca has finally witnessed the ugly side of Alonso. FA played his cards thinking RBR would want him and they declined, and why wouldn't they with a home grown 4 time WDC in house.

Alonso hasn't done anything wrong from a driving point of view but the "rat jumping ship" disloyalty is what will do him in. Calling the team stupid on the radio only hardens their resolve to replace him. 2014 will be Alonso's last year at Ferrari
^ + 1
Old 09-09-2013, 01:58 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by paradisenb
I'm with Lewis. Win the titles as quickly as possible and abandon the 2013 car.

Alonso says they have 2 races to make up ground or throw in the towel on 2013. I think 3 races from now those things will be decided unless Seb wins Monza. In that case, I think Ferrari moves on right away. Putting all their 2013 hopes in RB DNFs.
Let's not dismiss Ferrari's excellent strategy of basing their 2013 DV WDC around RBR retirements ....

Remember...miracles DO happen
Attached Images  
Old 09-09-2013, 02:36 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I would love to see Kimi and Alonso at Ferrari together as this would in my view bring the best out of both of them, the only way for this to be successful is for these guys to show maturity and truly believe in the Ferrari moto that the team is above all. In the below video Alonso claims he would put team ahead and help a teamate but the truth is it is not in his or Kimi's, or Vettel's or Lewi's DNA. Vettel proved he can not deal with team orders with Weber, Alonso and Lewis proved it in tring to work together at McLaren and the list goes on. http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/...or-2014-season
Old 09-09-2013, 04:39 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete

+1 and I think the fact that McLaren hasn't confirmed NEITHER of their drivers for next year is interesting.

Kimi going there would make a lot of sense, no way will Alonso give up his No. 1 status at Ferrari, nor will Kimi be No. 2. Unless...
Alonso is moving away to McLaren to make room for Kimi? Sounds crazy but crazier things have happened and that would be what Bernie wants.
(doesn't want Alonso & Kimi in same team so one of them going to McLaren would work).

Then Hulk to Ferrari, Perez to Lotus and Massa to Sportscars.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:58 PM
leejo
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Didn't Ferrari boot Kimi in the middle of his contract once before? Why would he want to go back there?

Quick Reply: Kimi and Alonso Silly Season