Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kimi and Alonso Silly Season

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 10:26 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Farewell Massa, all class and so close in 2008, but will be remembered as Alonso's #2.

Felipe Massa confirmed on Tuesday night that Ferrari has made its decision on 2014 and that he is no longer part of their plans.

Massa has been a Ferrari driver for eight seasons and made the third most appearances for the Scuderia after Michael Schumacher and Rubens Barrichello.

“From 2014 I will no longer be driving for Ferrari,” Massa posted on Instagram and Twitter. “I would like to thank the team for all the victories and incredible moments experienced together.”

Another message added that he still feels he has more to offer as an F1 driver, “For next year, I want to find a team that can give me a competitive car to win many more races and challenge for the Championship..”

The announcement from the driver allows him to break the news with dignity; Ferrari has always felt that Massa is “one of the family” and has extended great generosity to him. After his accident in Hungary 2009 it kept a seat open for him for 2010. But the harsh reality is that since then he has not won in 70 races as Alonso’s team mate.

And the seat goes to....
Attached Images  
Old 09-10-2013, 11:33 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,872 Likes on 1,709 Posts

Just a quick note on Felipe Massa. This is not meant to be an eulogy, but rather a sincere "Thank you" for his service.

Felipe was a superstar kart racer in Brazil who moved to Europe to hon his racing skills. Eventually, Felipe broke into F1 with the Sauber team as a Ferrari junior driver on loan to Peter Sauber's team to gain valuable experience.

Felipe finally got his opportunity with the Scuderia along side Michael Schumacher before Schumi's retirement in 2006.

In 2007, Massa had a new superstar teammate who won the WDC in his first year with Ferrari.

In 2008, Massa finally had a better year than his teammate and literally thought he had done enough to win the World Driving Championship coming across the finish line well ahead of ever other driver on the grid. Unfortunately, the wait from the time he finished and the time Lewis Hamilton finished was the only time he was WDC as a last lap, last corner pass (some may say point by) from Timo Glock allowed LH to win his only WDC.

In 2009, Felipe was having another good year when in the last race before summer break, a 2 lb. spring came off of Rubens Barachello's Brawn GP car during a qualifying session and struck his helmet just above the visor while traveling at 180 mph. Massa lost control and ran head first into a tire wall.

Felipe should have been dead that day but for the exceptional medical care available at every F1 race.

After a long rehab process, buoyed by the promise from the Ferrari team that if medically cleared, he would race again in their car, Massa came back and initially was not very quick, but eventually he would be on pace and on occasion, faster than his new teammate, Fernando Alonso.

Although many will not think very much of Felipe Massa as an F1 driver, let's not forget that he has perhaps had the strongest teammates in the history of Formula one with 3 different WDC combining for 10 world championships and nearly won one himself.

Felipe will always be considered a Ferrari favorite because he nearly lost his life driving for them and he always did what the team asked him to do without complaint including pulling over for Fernando Alonso when his team asked him to.

In turn, Ferrari has been very loyal to Felipe giving him many more years of service than a top team maybe should have after his accident and made him wealthy and able to take care of his family for their lifetimes.

I wish Felipe well in his future and believe we'll see him at various Ferrari promotional events in the future.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:11 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

^^^^

No question Massa is a good guy, a good driver, a good team mate, and a good competitor . And is living the life we all would wish to have.

But even guys like Earl Campbell and Peyton Manning eventually have to move to a new team . It just happens .

I respect Ferrari for standing by Massa though. They almost didnt for Nikki Lauda.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:13 AM
9.5 Degrees
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I thought this was funny and think you are right Pete! Montezemolo has had to eat some crow and ask a driver he got rid of back to the fold.

Montezemolo: I’m trying to convince a driver to come back, I’m speaking to Schumacher

Ferrari chairman Luca di Montezemolo shunned questions about Kimi Raikkonen on Tuesday amid mounting speculation that the 2007 Formula 1 champion could be back at Maranello next season and went as far as to joke that he was tempting Michael Schumacher back to Maranello.

“We won’t talk about Formula 1 today,” the Italian told reporters at the Frankfurt motor show. “I am trying to convince a driver to come back and am speaking to Schumacher tomorrow,” he joked.

Seven-times champion Schumacher, now 44 and fully retired after his comeback with Mercedes ended last year, is most definitely not in the running. Raikkonen, the 33-year-old with the glacial gaze and ‘Iceman’ tattooed on his forearm, certainly is.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:51 AM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
Just a quick note on Felipe Massa. This is not meant to be an eulogy, but rather a sincere "Thank you" for his service.

Felipe was a superstar kart racer in Brazil who moved to Europe to hon his racing skills. Eventually, Felipe broke into F1 with the Sauber team as a Ferrari junior driver on loan to Peter Sauber's team to gain valuable experience.

Felipe finally got his opportunity with the Scuderia along side Michael Schumacher before Schumi's retirement in 2006.

In 2007, Massa had a new superstar teammate who won the WDC in his first year with Ferrari.

In 2008, Massa finally had a better year than his teammate and literally thought he had done enough to win the World Driving Championship coming across the finish line well ahead of ever other driver on the grid. Unfortunately, the wait from the time he finished and the time Lewis Hamilton finished was the only time he was WDC as a last lap, last corner pass (some may say point by) from Timo Glock allowed LH to win his only WDC.

In 2009, Felipe was having another good year when in the last race before summer break, a 2 lb. spring came off of Rubens Barachello's Brawn GP car during a qualifying session and struck his helmet just above the visor while traveling at 180 mph. Massa lost control and ran head first into a tire wall.

Felipe should have been dead that day but for the exceptional medical care available at every F1 race.

After a long rehab process, buoyed by the promise from the Ferrari team that if medically cleared, he would race again in their car, Massa came back and initially was not very quick, but eventually he would be on pace and on occasion, faster than his new teammate, Fernando Alonso.

Although many will not think very much of Felipe Massa as an F1 driver, let's not forget that he has perhaps had the strongest teammates in the history of Formula one with 3 different WDC combining for 10 world championships and nearly won one himself.

Felipe will always be considered a Ferrari favorite because he nearly lost his life driving for them and he always did what the team asked him to do without complaint including pulling over for Fernando Alonso when his team asked him to.

In turn, Ferrari has been very loyal to Felipe giving him many more years of service than a top team maybe should have after his accident and made him wealthy and able to take care of his family for their lifetimes.

I wish Felipe well in his future and believe we'll see him at various Ferrari promotional events in the future.
Well said Pete
Old 09-11-2013, 09:13 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 504 Likes on 186 Posts

So it's official. Kimi signs a one-year deal. Ferrari is now certainly not Alonso's team. Next season will be interesting!
Old 09-11-2013, 09:19 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Two years, not one but yeah, should be interesting!
Old 09-11-2013, 09:46 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, there is going to be fireworks in Maranello next year. If anyone really thinks Kimi will play second fiddle to DV they are delusional. Kimi will drive for wins in every race and will never pull over and let FA by so he can get more points. Well, maybe in the last race or 2 if he is out and FA is close. Question is, will Alonso do the same if Kimi is in the hunt and he is out? I would like to see what would happen in that scenario.

Appears Ferrari has lost a good bit of confidence in Alonso or they would have brought in Hulkenberg to be their #2 driver for a year or two and progress him to take over when FA's contract expires. Yet, they brought in another #1 and WDC driver. Says a lot. I'll to the fun that is coming next year.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:24 PM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default From Lotus to Corporate Sponsors

Dear Partners,

As you will have no doubt been aware, there has been much speculation over Kimi's seat for 2014 and his link with Ferrari. It has just been confirmed to us that Kimi will indeed join them next year.
Of course this is a disappointment to all of us, and I'm sure you will agree that Kimi has been nothing but brilliant since he joined Lotus F1 Team. In the same breath, Enstone and our partners have once again proved our strength, providing him with two great cars and making his return to F1 a success.

So now it's time to think about the future. With regards to our drivers for 2014, we are currently in discussion with a few people and will make a decision shortly - with you being the first to know.
We are in the privileged position of being the most desirable team on the grid with a seat available, so we are therefore in no rush to announce anyone without establishing what will be the best for our team and the future.

We have seven more races left in the season and our focus is on providing the best possible car for both Kimi and Romain. Our performance and work so far have meant that we are right in the mix with the top teams and the top drivers, and our plan is to keep it that way.

We would like to take this opportunity to once again thank you for all your support and dedication to our team, and we are very much looking forward to progressing together.

Let's make sure we're ahead of the red team in 2014!

Patrick Louis, CEO
Eric Boullier, Team Principal
Old 09-11-2013, 01:47 PM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great summary Pete.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:53 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,872 Likes on 1,709 Posts

I've had a couple of my friends call me today that are not necessarily Ferrari fans, but rather Alonso fans -- all sounded like their dog just died and don't know how this is going to work out. I told them Exactly how it's going to work out and Alonso will only stay 1 year at Ferrari and then bring himself and Santander $$ to another team.

No doubt that Alonso is a great driver with excess baggage whose true personality was masked for 3 years while at Ferrari. If he thought that a rookie Lewis Hamilton was tough to beat, just wait until 2014.

Of course all bets are off if the car isn't good, but with the new regulations, having both Kimi and Alonso developing the car can only be a plus for the Scuderia!
Old 09-11-2013, 02:53 PM
the flyin' scotsman
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 22 Posts

IMHO Kimi is a fantastic driver who, like it or not, is a driver first and foremost without all the marketing bs.
Alonso also a good driver has much baggage from his previous teams especially McLaren and Renault.
Despite what Ferrari may have for a F1 car in 2014 I believe Kimi will demonstrate to the team the absolute potential without all the drama then they shall have to decide what the future of Alonso will be.

I truly hope Massa finds another team to end his career with. Either way he can move into retirement with his head high...how many others would have come back after such a horrific accident that almost claimed his life.

Good luck Felipe.........a +40 year F1 fan
Old 09-11-2013, 02:54 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Pete,
There was nothing about Alonso that was "masked" during his time with Ferrari.
He was/is/always will be a narcissistic sociopathic douchebag with extremely highly developed driving skills.
Leopards don't change their spots ... it doesn't matter what team you put DV into ... the result will always be the same; especially as long he is associated with Flavio.

This can only be viewed as a huge bitch slap to Alonso by Luca. I think Luca and the team took DV's latest public whining to heart ... finally.

Now the only thing left is to wait for 2014 and see exactly how many HP Newey is going to be down compared to Mercedes and Ferrari ... nothing new there.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:00 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Lewis - If Luca wanted him gone he would be gone, his talent still keeps him there. I, believe it or not, agree with you in that it is a bitch slap, but also consider that to Ferrari the constructors means something as well so by having the two best drivers they could get although a departure from the past is the best for the "team." The question is will the Ferrari, Kimi and Alonso partnership be enough to take down Newey and Vettel. As far as I am concerned F1 is racing but it is also a bloody circus so as it goes at any circus I want to be entertained. Entertained I will be, my two favorite drivers will be on one great team fighting it out for Ferrari glory, F1 glory and against RBR in a new car environment. It will be great! If Alonso or Kimi can't take the heat it will be their loss.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:02 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Pete,

Well said about Massa, there is no doubt in my mind that they kept him instead of Kimi (and as long as they did) because of the injury in Hungary.

Originally Posted by Pete
I've had a couple of my friends call me today that are not necessarily Ferrari fans, but rather Alonso fans -- all sounded like their dog just died and don't know how this is going to work out. I told them Exactly how it's going to work out and Alonso will only stay 1 year at Ferrari and then bring himself and Santander $$ to another team.

No doubt that Alonso is a great driver with excess baggage whose true personality was masked for 3 years while at Ferrari. If he thought that a rookie Lewis Hamilton was tough to beat, just wait until 2014.

Of course all bets are off if the car isn't good, but with the new regulations, having both Kimi and Alonso developing the car can only be a plus for the Scuderia!
I'm not so sure. You well know I'm not a big Alonso fan (I know as well as anyone that he's one of the fastest & best but the other stuff is just stupid) but he's older and with a true and honest laid back attitude guy Kimi is, it might work.

Of course he has a massive ego so hen paired with a driver that has an equal and not a lap dog status in the team, things can get dicey. I have no doubt if they're performing equally or Alonso a bit better (which at least in first year should be the case), things are good but/if it's the other way around, fireworks will most likely happen.

I just hope, and have a reasonable feeling since they hired Kimi back, that they listen to Kimi when developing their car. If they do it the way they did with Massa & Kimi, it's going to be screwed up but if they look back to year 2007 & 2009, they must realize what they did was not the smart thing to do.

One more: When I this was official, I immediately heard Briatore's voice in my head the way he said in Top Gear episode in Monaco "Oh Jezuz Crista!"

Quick Reply: Kimi and Alonso Silly Season