Sponsored by:

The world's worst racing announcer

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 10:03 AM
MikeJim
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The world's worst racing announcer

As part of Will Buxton's employment contract with Speed/Fox, he is being allowed to handle play-by-play chores on GP2 coverage.

His debut last month at the German GP was horrible. Typical overblown Buxton theatrics...virtually shouting...trying to call every move on the track as if viewers couldn't actually see for themselves. (In fact, a fairly common mistake for beginning announcers.)

By the Hungarian GP, it was obvious Speed/Fox had hired an announcing coach to work with Buxton. His delivery had slowed down and he worked on pacing himself, not giving too much information. Midway through the race, he forgot all the coaching and started shouting again.

Buxton is definitely a work in progress.

Unfortunately, Buxton's announcing partner on both of these races was Jerome D'Ambrosio, a Belgian driver of Italian descent whose first language is definitely NOT English.

I have been in the TV broadcasting business for more than 40 years, and I have never, ever witnessed a less talented announcer (and that includes Olympics stars who have been drafted into commentary roles). The mind reels at Speed/Fox's decision to utilize Jerome D'Ambrosio.

He adds nothing to the broadcasts. He makes your teeth hurt, he's so awful.

About Will Buxton.
http://willthef1journo.wordpress.com/about/

About Jerome D'Ambrosio.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%C3%A9...d'Ambrosio
Old 08-10-2013, 10:27 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Bring back Peter Windsor.
Buxton is like a hyperactive dog who just can't stop humping your leg.

Awful on F1 coverage. They need to fit him with an electronic collar that shocks him so he won't talk over a broadcast radio transmission between pit wall and the driver.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:09 AM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Buxton is like a hyperactive dog who just can't stop humping your leg.
I've said it before in previous threads about this subject--as above, he reminds me of my neighbor's yappy little terrier that simply won't shut up. Enthusiasm is one thing, but I think he's over the top.

I loved the way Peter Windsor used to barge his way through the paddock with cameraman in tow to get prerace interviews, and he did get them without all the histrionics.

Gary
Old 08-10-2013, 11:37 AM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Yeah, I heard him do a couple races, not good. Sadly Lee Diffy is just as irritating to me. Last year I liked him when he stood in for Varsha on the F1 races, but this year he just seems to yell and try to call every move on the track. He's worse at the start of the race and then calms down a bit. I wish I could mute just him. I can't hear that fast. Somebody please give the guy a quaalude.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:47 AM
leejo
Burning Brakes

I like Martin Brundle on Sky, especially a few years ago when David Coulthard was around to do some thinking and correct Brundle's mistakes for him.

Since NBC took over F1 coverage from Speed here in the States, as often as not I've had to watch the races with spanish announcers. "Madre de Deus!" I have no idea what's going on, but nobody is screaming and the idioms are terrific.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:31 AM
car_slave
Pro

Haven't seen the GP2 coverage, but think the F1 WB stuff is bad. I wish they would have him do actual pitt reporting instead of making guesses. Seems like he just editorializes about stuff which happened on track. A few lessons in journalism wouldn't hurt...

Quick Reply: The world's worst racing announcer