Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The new Porsche 911 GT3 is terrible!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 05:15 AM
MikeJim
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The new Porsche 911 GT3 is terrible!

Shocking news: The new Porsche 911 GT3 is terrible! It’s a huge disappointment, a broken dream. Cancel your deposit if you’ve made one, and tear up your check if you haven’t. And write to the German ambassador to demand some kind of formal inquiry.

No, not really. We’re just kidding.

Car & Driver
http://cardrive.co/6038Z5TG

Old 07-24-2013, 09:25 AM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I don't believe the media. I need one to evaluate for myself. Shouldn't take me more than a year or 2.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:43 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,293 Likes on 1,873 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeJim
When a mainstream mag boasts, in a single sentence, "There is no bu!!$#!t," that about says it all!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 07-24-2013, 03:48 PM
Tedster
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 168 Posts

No doubt it is a great car, but for whom? The target customer seems have "shifted" from those who derive enjoyment through involvement and mastery of a challenging car to those who want bragging rights of faster lap times "flat out" regardless of their skill level. For the life of me I cannot understand how taking out the skill and control of shifting yourself makes any car more enjoyable on the track for anyone with two legs. I can understand it in professional racing where winning is paramount, but for DE and club racing I am baffled. My goal is smiles per mile and a three pedal stick car beats the hell out of any PRNDL, flappy paddle or not.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:17 PM
Cheyenne
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tedster, I agree, I am a purist in the same sense.

However, it occurs to me that had early car development gone the electric route (supposing there was better battery technology to make it work) and we all drove cars with just one speed, that didn't need multiple gears, would I be missing anything? Would I want more complication?

Why don't we go back to manually adjusting ignition advance?

Where do you draw the line? People like us will always like shifting. A new generation will never be able to understand wanting the extra complexity, when the car can do it better anyways, and it leaves you more focus for things like traction.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:47 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,885 Likes on 972 Posts

Originally Posted by Tedster
No doubt it is a great car, but for whom? The target customer seems have "shifted" from those who derive enjoyment through involvement and mastery of a challenging car to those who want bragging rights of faster lap times "flat out" regardless of their skill level. For the life of me I cannot understand how taking out the skill and control of shifting yourself makes any car more enjoyable on the track for anyone with two legs. I can understand it in professional racing where winning is paramount, but for DE and club racing I am baffled. My goal is smiles per mile and a three pedal stick car beats the hell out of any PRNDL, flappy paddle or not.
I'd exclude the club racing guys from your comment as they're all a little nutty.

Originally Posted by Cheyenne
Where do you draw the line?
The other slippery slope: http://www.forbes.com/sites/mahendra...-a-google-car/

Last edited by Nizer; 07-24-2013 at 05:03 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:10 PM
Greg Phillips
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Progress

Originally Posted by Tedster
I have no doubt that there were drivers who said the same thing when synchro gearboxes came out.
Real drivers should be able to double clutch and match gears without help from stupid synchros, but most of us prefer using synchros.

Progress is just a way of life, just ask the 356 and air-cooled 911 drivers.

If you want old school, give up your ABS, stability control and other aids along with your PDK

Greg

PS I miss ABS on my 1982 SC, flat spots are expensive
Old 07-24-2013, 06:23 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Phillips
I have no doubt that there were drivers who said the same thing when synchro gearboxes came out.
Real drivers should be able to double clutch and match gears without help from stupid synchros, but most of us prefer using synchros.

Progress is just a way of life, just ask the 356 and air-cooled 911 drivers.

If you want old school, give up your ABS, stability control and other aids along with your PDK

Greg

PS I miss ABS on my 1982 SC, flat spots are expensive
bingo.

and for those of you who haven't driven a modern dual clutch paddle shift (on the street or track), give it a chance before you knock it...they are amazing gearboxes. I enjoy them as much as a traditional manual, but in a different way.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:49 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Faster=better
The visceral experience will, as it always does, come near or at the limits of the platform.
I assure you they are all still there, waiting for us to go get them.
It will be the best eva!
Old 07-24-2013, 06:57 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen
The visceral experience will, as it always does, come near or at the limits of the platform.
This. Regardless of the platform it will remain absolutely true forever and creates the very definition of "driver".
Old 07-24-2013, 08:23 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Put me in the camp of guys that want a true h-pattern gear shift in a car like this. HOWEVER.... that's purely for nostalgic reasons as I'm sure the PDK in the new GT3 is FAR superior than what I'm capable of and would improve the overall driving at the limit experience.

I think the current GT3 Cup gear shifting experience is somewhat dissatisfying. The up shifts are surely etherial but the downshifts are, well, less than that and make me long for the h-pattern at times. So, in my mind, the PDK is the answer to the current Cup gearbox dilemma...as much as I'd like to resist it...

Unfortunately, in 10 years no one will remember manually matching revs....
Old 07-24-2013, 09:12 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,885 Likes on 972 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen
It will be the best eva!
They always are.

Originally Posted by PedroNole
Put me in the camp of guys that want a true h-pattern gear shift in a car like this. HOWEVER.... that's purely for nostalgic reasons as I'm sure the PDK in the new GT3 is FAR superior than what I'm capable of and would improve the overall driving at the limit experience.

I think the current GT3 Cup gear shifting experience is somewhat dissatisfying. The up shifts are surely etherial but the downshifts are, well, less than that and make me long for the h-pattern at times. So, in my mind, the PDK is the answer to the current Cup gearbox dilemma...as much as I'd like to resist it...

Unfortunately, in 10 years no one will remember manually matching revs....
Agree on all points. Perhaps the paddle system on 991 Cup will be the sweet spot.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:10 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 729 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by GuyIncognito
bingo.

and for those of you who haven't driven a modern dual clutch paddle shift (on the street or track), give it a chance before you knock it...
I have, a lot...and I always feel like I'm driving a toy...or video game. Completely disconnected from the drive. That's not what I'm looking for in my driving. Faster? Sure...but as I've said before, until someone is paying me to be the fastest out there, ill take the visceral feel of the drive over the electronic gizmos any day.

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 07-24-2013, 11:45 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,666 Likes on 859 Posts

To me, PDK is like Twitter.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:25 AM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
To me, PDK is like Twitter.
it's mindless narcissism?

Quick Reply: The new Porsche 911 GT3 is terrible!