Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Blah, blah, blah - water pumper.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:44 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,666 Likes on 859 Posts

Originally Posted by GuyIncognito
it's mindless narcissism?

Hahaha! I am just gonna let my comment sit w/o explaining any of its various meanings.

PDK and other automatics/sequentials are clearly competitive advantages and/or equalizers in racing. We saw it first in F1 and now in sports cars a la Ferrari, BMW, and now Porsche.

But in a sports-oriennted street car with track aspirations? Pffftttt... Unless I had a physical impairment which prevented using a clutch, why would I want less involvement when I am at the track for pure fun? Is PDK "faster"? In the abstract, yes. But the fact of the mattter is that there are probably only 4 or 5 people on here who could readily detect thhat difference & post lap times, in a track day environment, thhat show any marked improvement in speed in otherwise-identical cars.

But...to each his/her own. Just like the faux centerlock BS, no one ever got poor by offering pretentious "racing inspiired" features in street cars . Ferrari is the prime example, and I am sure Porsche will happily "broaden the customer base" for the new GT3 among those who don't know how to shift gears...
Old 07-25-2013, 12:08 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Hahaha! I am just gonna let my comment sit w/o explaining any of its various meanings.

PDK and other automatics/sequentials are clearly competitive advantages and/or equalizers in racing. We saw it first in F1 and now in sports cars a la Ferrari, BMW, and now Porsche.

But in a sports-oriennted street car with track aspirations? Pffftttt... Unless I had a physical impairment which prevented using a clutch, why would I want less involvement when I am at the track for pure fun? Is PDK "faster"? In the abstract, yes. But the fact of the mattter is that there are probably only 4 or 5 people on here who could readily detect thhat difference & post lap times, in a track day environment, thhat show any marked improvement in speed in otherwise-identical cars.

But...to each his/her own. Just like the faux centerlock BS, no one ever got poor by offering pretentious "racing inspiired" features in street cars . Ferrari is the prime example, and I am sure Porsche will happily "broaden the customer base" for the new GT3 among those who don't know how to shift gears...
I disagree with that part, I think anyone on this subforum would immediately see a lap time difference in two identical cars, one equipped with a manual and the other with PDK. I was following a PDK equipped 997 GTS down the backstretch at Road Atlanta and was amazed at the audible difference in shift times in his car vs. mine. it might be only half a second to a second a lap, which in a track day environment is worthless, but still...

at the end of the day, some people like rock and hate rap, some like rap and hate rock, some like both. I like both and think people who limit themselves either way are missing out on something.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:20 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

There is the PERCEPTION of speed, and then there is MEASURABLE speed. IMO and in my experience, many would perceive "faster" because it sounds cool & because Porsche says it's faster...in the hands of it's professional test drivers. But measurably faster? Well...I doubt it. Also...a Z06 would be measurably faster with an automatic transmission too...but why?

Oh, and RAP SUCKS. Always has, always will.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:15 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
There is the PERCEPTION of speed, and then there is MEASURABLE speed. IMO and in my experience, many would perceive "faster" because it sounds cool & because Porsche says it's faster...in the hands of it's professional test drivers. But measurably faster? Well...I doubt it. Also...a Z06 would be measurably faster with an automatic transmission too...but why?

Oh, and RAP SUCKS. Always has, always will.
8 seconds at the 'Ring is measurable...

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...times-with-pdk

and look at these acceleration times. 7/10ths faster with PDK in the quarter mile. I suspect that's where most of the road course time advantage is too-in a straight line, since downshifts tend to happen while braking (although focusing only on braking probably removes most of the pedal pressure spikes, etc).

http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/t...ed-manual.html

is it measurable? yes. is it relevant in a non-competitive environment? not really.

and I can't believe you don't like rap....

Old 07-25-2013, 08:55 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Dude.

The Ring is 13 FREAKING MILES LONG. And it's Walter Rohrl.

Try it at Lime Rock or Mid Ohio with a weekend joe and get back to me...
Old 07-25-2013, 09:57 PM
danielyonker
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

seriously...we need a Smilies dude who is snoring......

What say the Cayenne dude from CA?
Old 07-25-2013, 10:19 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PedroNole
I think the current GT3 Cup gear shifting experience is somewhat dissatisfying. The up shifts are surely etherial but the downshifts are, well, less than that and make me long for the h-pattern at times. So, in my mind, the PDK is the answer to the current Cup gearbox dilemma...as much as I'd like to resist it...
Could not agree more.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:41 AM
Joe@Fabspeed
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts

All the manuals in high end sports cars are going away fast. Ferrari discontinued manuals after the F430 v8 car and all cars had ceramic brakes since 2008

Lamborghini is phasing out manuals . Most likely gone as VW Audi controls everything
Porsche is well on their way to completing manual trans delete to PDK

My advice is keep some vintage cars around at all times!

My old 930 Turbo with 4 speed and 400hp is ignorant n obsolete BUT giant grins as it back fires smokes the rear tires waste gate farts ........no abs corners weak compared to new cars
But sexy and cool as hell 1987 car 26 years new

My old school 993 RS clone Andial 3.8 bought in 1994 same deal just a lot of fun 19 years old

I owned and driven all the Gt3RS cars and GT2 RS cars and the shifting on these cars is not the greatest even when new. Do you guys remember the cable shifting issues on new 996 and 996 tt cars.

The tip tropics were terrible

I was skeptical on the new PDK and never wanted to spend the extra $3500 in 2009 when I ordered a 997.2 and traded it later. I also remember the Porsche Marketing Hype on how great GT2 lifetime brakes were and how the Tiptronic Transmission was great......those two systems were terrible!

Since then I've driven several PDK customer cars they have gotten good over the years. Recently after talking to Cayman Interseries promoters and Racers whotold me Get Over It......... the pdk dual clutch is fantastic......... I picked up a 2011 Boxster Spyder for long term Fabspeed motorsports development purposes and its really really great.

The manual matic downshifts in regular mode and in sport or sport plus it's great blips downshifts the whole Ferrari F1 trans experience. I bought my car from Jason Grim from Porsche of beechwood and they added the Porsche F1 style wheel with paddles.

It's great I'm am glad I did not get the manual . I own 5 manual cars right now and I wish certain models had this trans. It's really good. I hope it's reliable .

What's the story on the latest Porsche GT3 RS ceramic brakes are they reliable and long term?
www.Fabspeed.com

P: 215-646-4945
F: 215-646-9828

Exotic Car Performance Experts
Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, Maserati, Bentley, Aston Martin, BMW, Audi and Jaguar.

31 year PCA Club member supporter
14 year Ferrari Club member
1st ever financial supporter of Porsche Fans/ Rennlist

Quick Reply: The new Porsche 911 GT3 is terrible!