Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 12:42 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete

As for ltc, you've seen this in karting before, now it's at the highest levels. Your budget was substantial when your kid ran nationally, but there is always someone with mo $$. The new Russian czars are making it interesting, but nothing that hasn't been seen before, just not at the F1 level. Remember Milka?
Yes, I remember. I also remember talking with a Dad who had just bought an Indy Lights team for his son "just in case". He spoke of the purchase like it was buying a new Ford...didn't even register.

However, this Sirotkin situation is IMHO unprecedented and dangerous, both to what's left of the sport and the safety of him and the other drivers.
They are just forcing things to happen way too quickly. The kid may be OK, but nowhere near F1 ready.

But $500M is something no one in F1 is going to walk away from ... well, maybe Dietrich.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:36 PM
jcs_911
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by dbf73
what is Johnny Carwash in Russian?
Джонни Автомойка
Old 08-22-2013, 03:44 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
This is becoming troubling.

They are really forcing the issue with this kid.
Clearly not worthy of a Superlicense, but he will race next season regardless.
They are trying to get him in a Ferrari simulator (likely in exchange for having their engine bill paid in full) and he will be in a car for the parade laps at Sochi shortly.

I can't see it ending well for this kid, the team and F1.
I can see them already trying to ignore the 107 percent rule next season (can't imagine him making the field based on time).

I understand what his father is trying to do, but even if you have 500million, doesn't make it the right thing to do.
I don't understand, you're absolutely right about this not being the right thing to do and this is where the biggest problem with this particular situation is.

Yes another rich parent who doesn't know how to raise a kid and is just throwing money at it, plenty of examples of that kind around nowadays.

But in this case, it won't be just Kardashian/Hilton etc. making a fool of themselves in tv but this idiot is putting his son's life in danger because he's not able to say "NO" to him.

As a parent, this is very troubling trend when parents just bend over for their kids and throw money at them instead of being parents.

And talking purely from competition point of view, he might be good but what would be the problem of keeping him in GP2, 3 or whatever for a season or three and then buying that seat in F1?
By putting him in F1 that early, his daddy will most likely just make him not perform up to his potential and make him yet another bad example of a driver with not enough talent.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:22 PM
multi21
On temporary vacation

Received 2,895 Likes on 1,719 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
talking purely from competition point of view, he might be good but what would be the problem of keeping him in GP2, 3 or whatever for a season or three and then buying that seat in F1?
By putting him in F1 that early, his daddy will most likely just make him not perform up to his potential and make him yet another bad example of a driver with not enough talent.
The answer is ego.

The old saying "How do you make a small fortune in racing? You start off with a big one" is written all over this deal.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:31 PM
sonny1
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Money can't buy talent, you are born with or without, time will tell...........
sonny1.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:41 PM
BlueRiver86
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
In order to make it to Friday practice sessions, Sirotkin will require a mandatory superlicence, but he will need to win the Formula Renault 3.5 Championship, in which he is currently eighth, to qualify automatically.

"I have known Sergey since he was 10, and I'm absolutely sure that he is far ahead of boys who are the same age in terms of self-development: both physically and mentally,"
Hmm...
Old 08-22-2013, 09:30 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

First of all the kid aint in. At least not yet.

Seond of all he is not likely to be any serious competition in F1 for a while even if he gets in.

Third I am sure they want more cars in and more $$. I sitll think they should get tobacco money, beer and whiskey money, and tell the green money to stuff it anyway . But I am harsh on that.

Finally, they could always have some more races that are not championship points races like they used to have in F1. That could be fun in a way too.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:22 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Default IF he gets a Superlicense?

Sauber team principal Monisha Kaltenborn has confirmed Russian teenager Sergey Sirotkin will drive for the team next year provided he obtains his mandatory Super Licence.

The 18-year-old's father is one of the team's new investors and part of the deal saw them agree to prepare the driver for a race seat in Formula 1.

Owing to his inexperience, there has still been some debate as to whether Sauber will definitely hand him the drive but asked by Sky Sports F1 if Sirotkin would be one of their 2014 drivers provided he obtains the necessary licence, Kaltenborn replied: "Yes he will."

Sirotkin's results in the junior categories are not currently good enough to allow him to apply for an FIA Super Licence, however, the team are putting a testing plan in place in the hope he qualifies by 'having driven at least 300km in a current Formula One car consistently at racing speeds'.

"We have had him in the factory and he has got to know the people and soon we will start a programme with him," said Kaltenborn.

"He will be working with our physio and we have put a programme in place for him to do some testing - that will be later in the year after his season is over, so all is going well there.

"But the ultimate goal of course is next year and for him to do the mileage to get his Super Licence."

Sirotkin's first official outing for Sauber will come later this month when he takes part in a demonstration run at the venue of the 2014 Russian Grand Prix.

"We're having a demo run the week after Singapore in Sochi - we'll be the first F1 team to drive a car on the first part of the track, which has been completed," Kaltenborn added.

The news casts doubt over the futures of current Sauber incumbents Nico Hulkenberg and Esteban Gutierrez and Kaltenborn would not be drawn on who would partner the Russian.

"We have several options and we announce our drivers on a season-by-season basis and I am not going to change that," she added.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:25 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

There appears to be a certain "swagger" or "confidence" that goes along with a $500 million driver.
I found the highlighted statement to be both fascinating and amusing...."only a formality"

SIROTKIN TO DRIVE 2009 FERRARI AT FIORANO
Tuesday 1 Oktober at 08:35 : Oct.1 (GMM) Sergey Sirotkin's push for a F1 super license will take place at the wheel of a four-year-old Ferrari.

We reported on Monday that the Russian teen, who is expected to make his grand prix debut for Sauber next year, has already got his programme underway.

Prior to driving the 2013 Sauber on a 700 metre asphalted stretch of the new Russian venue in Sochi, the 18-year-old tested at the Vairano facility in Italy.

His next stop is Fiorano, Ferrari's own test track near its Maranello base.

"Actually, it's only a formality," Sirotkin told Russia's f1news.ru, referring to the need to acquire his F1 super license before Sauber can officially confirm his 2014 seat.

"We have two days to show race pace over 300 kilometres."

Italy's Italiaracing said Sirotkin will attempt to qualify for the mandatory FIA credential with a 2009 car supplied by Sauber's engine supplier, Ferrari.

The F60 was raced by Kimi Raikkonen and Felipe Massa four years ago.

Italiaracing, adding that a seat fitting has already taken place, said Sirotkin's Fiorano test will be held on 7 and 10 October.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:41 PM
multi21
On temporary vacation

Received 2,895 Likes on 1,719 Posts

Can this end well? On the one hand, he is getting more opportunities than any other young driver to prove himself and with limited testing in F1, his daddy's $$ can get him that experience.

On the other hand, there are full grown men with massive amounts of experience that will eat him alive at that next level and he might not be able to get out of the 107% rule in qualifying.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:07 PM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by dbf73
what is Johnny Carwash in Russian?
haha +1 I think this joke is probably lost on most, excepting that strange intersection of die hard F1 historians and Letterman fans...
Old 10-01-2013, 02:36 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Pete
Can this end well? On the one hand, he is getting more opportunities than any other young driver to prove himself and with limited testing in F1, his daddy's $$ can get him that experience.

On the other hand, there are full grown men with massive amounts of experience that will eat him alive at that next level and he might not be able to get out of the 107% rule in qualifying.
Pete,
I can see him missing ONE race based on the 107% rule ... after that, I can think of $500M reasons why he won't be excluded for a subsequent race based on 107% rule. The Stewards have significant "discretion" when it comes to "contravening" the 107% rule ... They could argue there was a "mechanical" issue with the car, traffic, slow puncture, etc ... or they could just simply allow him to race without further comment.

Can you actually imagine what would happen if he was outside the 107% rule for the inaugural Russian F1 race? Bernie would never make it out of the country.

If an F1 Superlicense is in indeed a "formality", then why does it exist?
The kid is beginning to make Max Chilton look decent.

Quick Reply: New Sauber F1 driver $500 Million!?