Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Racing & Drivers Education Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum-65/)
-   -   Guidance Needed : Importing Race Car from Canada to US (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/766106-guidance-needed-importing-race-car-from-canada-to-us.html)

Rick 07-13-2013 10:29 AM

Guidance Needed : Importing Race Car from Canada to US

Can anyone share their recommendations and recent experiences bringing a race car into the US that is currently in Canada? What steps do you have to go through? How complex? Costs?

I'm looking at a purpose/factory built race car - not a converted street car.
I believe I'd have to file form HS-7 when I get the car into the US (presumably at the border) but I'm not sure what I'd have to do to get the car out of Canada properly. What needs to be done in advance? What do I have to do at the actual exit of Canada & entry into US?

Thank you for helping me figure this out.

Rick

Dan Jacobs 07-13-2013 11:27 AM

Have the person selling you the car meet you at the first exit south o' the border

fbirch 05-06-2014 09:29 PM

Hello Rick - Please let me know how it went if you completed the import process. I'm also looking at a track car in Canada and would like to know what else I need to do, apart from checking off the correct box on the HS-7 form.

If anyone else has imported a race car from Canada to the US, your feedback would be appreciated.

If it's really as simple as picking up the car south of the border and trucking it back to the track, that would be great! If the car doesn't need to be insured or road registered, I suppose it might be that simple, although there is a 2.5% import duty that I believe technically applies to race cars as well. Also, do most states require sales tax to be paid on cars that are not road registered?

Sorry for the newbie questions; this will be my first track-only car if the deal goes through.

Rick 05-07-2014 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by fbirch (Post 11348608)
Hello Rick - Please let me know how it went if you completed the import process. I'm also looking at a track car in Canada and would like to know what else I need to do, apart from checking off the correct box on the HS-7 form.

If anyone else has imported a race car from Canada to the US, your feedback would be appreciated.

If it's really as simple as picking up the car south of the border and trucking it back to the track, that would be great! If the car doesn't need to be insured or road registered, I suppose it might be that simple, although there is a 2.5% import duty that I believe technically applies to race cars as well. Also, do most states require sales tax to be paid on cars that are not road registered?

Sorry for the newbie questions; this will be my first track-only car if the deal goes through.

I ended up passing on the car in Canada & ended up buying 1 Radical from Florida & one from Nevada.

fbirch 05-07-2014 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Rick (Post 11349412)
I ended up passing on the car in Canada & ended up buying 1 Radical from Florida & one from Nevada.

I hate you. No RL'er should have two Radicals until every RL'er has one Radical (or at least I've got one!)

j/k, thanks for the reply in any case