Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you remember your first Black Flag? Were you scared or pissed?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 12:47 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Not quite on topic, but worth mentioning. I have had *that* black flag - the one that saves your car thanks to VR and some other observant people due to a charcoal cannister going bad and me dumping fuel all over the track. Fuel was dropping onto hot enough parts to be smoking.

If you are not being an ***, the black flag is nothing to be afraid of. Just don't miss it :-).

-Mike
Old 07-09-2013, 02:27 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Several black flags, almost all at DEs proving that any surface is part of the track. And since I drive a 944 I have had a couple that were car savers (don't know if that is a good or bad thing).
Old 07-09-2013, 02:49 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by TXE36
Not quite on topic, but worth mentioning. I have had *that* black flag - the one that saves your car thanks to VR and some other observant people due to a charcoal cannister going bad and me dumping fuel all over the track. Fuel was dropping onto hot enough parts to be smoking.

If you are not being an ***, the black flag is nothing to be afraid of. Just don't miss it :-).

-Mike
aka: Meatball. black with orange circle in center...

better link
http://www.ncracing.org/flags.php
Old 07-09-2013, 02:58 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Originally Posted by mrbill_fl
aka: Meatball. black with orange circle in center...

(except the passing flag has yellow stripe..)

better link
http://www.ncracing.org/flags.php
Oddly enough, the group I run with the most (LSR PCA) doesn't seem to have the meatball on the track. The only place I've seen it is during our driver meetings. They also point out in the driver meetings that the plain black may be thrown for car issues.

Another interesting point is that blue flag with a yellow stripe has the same camouflage capability as a Klingon cloaking device as it seems no matter the background, nobody sees it .

-Mike
Old 07-09-2013, 03:29 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oddly enough, the group I run with the most (LSR PCA) doesn't seem to have the meatball on the track. The only place I've seen it is during our driver meetings. They also point out in the driver meetings that the plain black may be thrown for car issues.

Another interesting point is that blue flag with a yellow stripe has the same camouflage capability as a Klingon cloaking device as it seems no matter the background, nobody sees it .

-Mike
As I recall, one of the TWS flaggers has a blue jacket with a yellow stripe across the back.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:40 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Originally Posted by pontifex4
As I recall, one of the TWS flaggers has a blue jacket with a yellow stripe across the back.
Never saw it .

-Mike
Old 07-09-2013, 04:29 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 817 Likes on 469 Posts

-Mike
So true especially if you are driving a slower car with a faster driver.

Peter
Old 07-09-2013, 04:36 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

I was just reminded that I got a black flag for no helmet once...

It was an orientation session at Monticello at parade speeds, so I didn't think I needed one!
Old 07-09-2013, 08:20 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 134 Posts

Back in the 70s I was racing with SCCA at Watkins Glen. I didn't qualify that well but it was raining at the start and I had good rain tires. After a few laps I was in second place chasing a Porsche. I could repeatedly pass him in turn 1 and he would pull me after the esses. Track was drying and I was losing my advantage. One lap to go and I was Black flagged. I pretended not to see it, on the last lap I acknowledged the flag and pulled into the pits after crossing the start/finish line. I had allegedly passed the lead car under Yellow after turn 1. There was a standing Yellow because of a car off to the left just before turn 2. After the meeting with the stewards and testimony from the corner workers it was ruled that I was O.K. and my second place finish stood. There may be a lesson here.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:49 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sterling Doc
My first black flag was for someone else
Ruined one of my first races. Now I make darn sure it's for me if I think I'm innocent.

I hate punitive black flags - they can't be taken back if they are wrong (like in the blend line violation example) and are open to abuse. Black flags should be for safety issues only. All else can be dealt with after the race, with time and cool heads to get it right.
I was seven....
Old 07-09-2013, 09:00 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Back 7-8 years ago I was leading the race field at Las Vegas in a PCA race in my 6-cup. Cervelli, Beeker, and Beggs had all broken down, and Andy Wilzoch spun off twice but was coming. So I was leading with another 6-cup right behind me when it went FC Yellow to get Beggs monster TT car off the track. Two laps after we went green, with just a lap or 2 to go I was black flagged along with the 6-up right behind me. We both pitted and they said we passed under FCY. Thsis was several minutes after we went green. Pissed I went back out but Wilzoch won easily.

I went to the tower and the PCA Scrut refused to talk to me or view my video. Later that evening, the head of the crew came over to me and said they didn't see a pass or make the call. They said the PCA Scrut came to them 2 laps under a green flag and said black flag the 2 leading cars. I heard he didn't want a POC driver to win a PCA race and one of us would have....
Old 07-09-2013, 10:20 PM
jhg41977
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

First day on the track and first time I was driving. My instructor took me out for a few orientation laps then turned the car over to me. Got a black flag a few laps in, scared me a bit because I was already nervous and now I apparently did something very wrong. Turns out my instructor had his arm out the window.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:23 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I was black flagged once during a track walk. My shoe was untied.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:06 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 771 Likes on 385 Posts

Got one once for window net not being up in a practice or qualifying session at Road Atlanta. Had no idea why I was being flagged....as I start down the ramp to pits, I notice my window net is down, so I put it up.
Pull into Black Flag and say 'what's the problem ("officer" I think came out of my mouth too), they pulled on the window net and said 'corner worker said something about a window net, don't see anything wrong so it must not be you....carry on'

....it was the end of the session anyway....

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 07-10-2013, 12:03 AM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
I was seven....

it never gets old....

Quick Reply: Do you remember your first Black Flag? Were you scared or pissed?