Sponsored by:

Question re: Helmet Cooling

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 12:04 PM
smsarchitects
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Question re: Helmet Cooling

does anyone have contact info for a liquid filled "cap" to run cool water through a helmet?

I remember seeing a FAST cool shirt that had an extension "hood" that extended the capillaries to the cool the head.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:09 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 95 Posts

Assume you mean something like this?
Old 06-25-2013, 12:12 PM
smsarchitects
Rennlist Member

exactly.
I searched and could not find it.
muchas gracias!
Old 06-26-2013, 10:09 AM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Keep in mind, if your helmet fits very snug, the tubing may hurt your head. We've had customers need to go up a size on helmets for this purpose. Other customers have had no issues with the tubing.

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: info@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

Visit us on Facebook
Old 06-26-2013, 11:09 AM
smsarchitects
Rennlist Member

yes, I spoke to a few people and they complained about that and about the water circulation being pinched at the helmet and therefore not circulating in the shirt either....not good.

anyone else make these besides Coolshirt?
Old 06-26-2013, 11:17 AM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Default Helmet cooling

I'm not aware of anyone else that make something similar. You would have to revert to a blower that blows cool air.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:41 AM
Lou L
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi Clark - do you know of any kind of adapters to get the hooded cool suit shirt to work with a FAST cooler? Thanks!!!
Old 06-26-2013, 12:01 PM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Default Cool water shirt with FAST system

I believe the cool water shirt will work with the FAST system. However, the FAST shirt will not connect to a Cool Shirt system.

The Cool Water shirt may "drip" slightly when connected to a FAST system. Replacing the "O" rings on the ends might help a little with that issue.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:27 PM
smsarchitects
Rennlist Member

I spoke with Stable Energies and they said we would need to cut the end of the Coolshirt and install FAST connectors. I remember seeing an adaptor plug years ago but can not find them now.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:40 PM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

That works but if you want to use the shirt with a cool shirt system again, the connectors won't work. As long as you don't plan to use a cool shirt cooler, go ahead and swap the ends out for FAST connectors. Otherwise, I would live with the little "drip" issue so you can use the shirt with both systems.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:52 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a couple of thoughts and ocmments:

1. we tried the Coolshirt dry ice system a number of months ago. was a mess and disaster, completely useless. sorry , i like coolshirt products, but it was. idea was to use a system that drew no power from the car. that system, wasnt the solution;

2. helmet cooling via air is ag ood way to go. im not sure that the air gets that cold, or cold at all, but the breeze on your head takes the head off you a bit, and keeps you fromt sweating too much.

3. id be a bit careful about condensation and water dripping in the helmet area on very hot days. i've seen guys pour water on themseves before zipping up the suit and frankly, all that does is broil you . id rather have a nice dry nomex undershirt to start, than a shirt which starts out feeling cold, but then has super heat water on it, like a hot towerl. it will actually retain the heat more than pull it off your body. thats why companies like njike, underarmour want cool/lite/shirts that dissipate the water/sweat rather than it sitting on you.

coolshirt has a nice "lite" F/R shirt which works well.

and lastly, i used to use, in cycling, ice vests. i tried one a few weeks back in the car, it was very cool. bulk feeling but it was like the 986/momo bladdder system except instead of flowing water, it was bladders of ICE on your body.
you have to refreeze sometimes, though some work based on re-dunking them in ice sloshy water.

but neat stuff.

Quick Reply: Question re: Helmet Cooling