Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Order of Operations - what modifications come first for converting to a track car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 10:38 AM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Courtshark
Update:
PFC 08 brake pads on the front
I'm no expert on 928 brake bias, but using an aggressive race pad on one axle and using stock (?) pads on the other sounds like a bad idea.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:42 AM
Courtshark
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Astroman
I'm no expert on 928 brake bias, but using an aggressive race pad on one axle and using stock (?) pads on the other sounds like a bad idea.
Thanks for the response. I was curious about that, too. I'll check with some 928 folks but I'll probably go ahead and order up the rears, too. Fortunately they're not nearly as expensive as the fronts!
Old 09-16-2013, 11:17 AM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Seat(s), Harnesses, Firebottle, brakes/cooling.... then the go fast stuff.

+ like others have said, much cheaper to buy used, than build your own....
Old 09-16-2013, 11:24 AM
Courtshark
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mrbill_fl
Seat(s), Harnesses, Firebottle, brakes/cooling.... then the go fast stuff.

+ like others have said, much cheaper to buy used, than build your own....
Seats and harnesses going in this week.

Firebottle - are you talking about just a fire extinguisher or a more automated system? I've got an extinguisher holder on the way, but just a regular 'ol extinguisher.

I understand the sentiment about buying a used racer; definitely came close to buying a couple. My thoughts are that, despite the greater expense of both time and money to do it myself, I enjoy the process and I like being able to make sure what's there is what I would have selected (and installed how I'd like it to be installed). I suppose I have trust issues in this regard. Another point, though, is that an already-built track car that's being sold likely has older stuff in it. Racing is typically about having the latest and greatest, so you end up upgrading later anyway.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:45 PM
Steward B.
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

buy a car that has already had tons of money spent on it by someone converting a street car to a race car. Normally you'll be able to buy for less than 1/3 of what has been spent by the previous owner........ask me how I know...........
Old 10-02-2013, 12:28 PM
atb
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Looking good on the build! Lot's of good advice coming in, but the posters need to realize that Courtshark's goal is to have a track ready 928, not get into the best bang for the buck track car. Tracking a 928 for some (myself included) is an incredible experience, that can't get reduced to budget or track times. Feeling the torque of the motor pulling you out of the turns, or to hear it howling toward redline (just listen to Mark Anderson's car in the video), feeling the car's exceptional handling, really provides for a unique and addictive track experience. I say soldier on, enjoy the build and the track experience.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:40 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 337 Posts
Default Don't do it...Bubble Burst

928 cars are very heavy. Heavy cars eat brake pads, rotors and tires. And they are a handful to toss around.

A hybrid street/track car results in a car which a pain in the *** on the street (Read uncomfortable), and not very efficient at the track due to the weight.

Having been down this road for the past 10 years in a 993, I have concluded that there are 2 kinds of cars, street cars and race cars, and never the twain shall meet.

Let me back pedal...if you are just driving autocross and DE, the 928 S4 would do the job. But it is a sketchy platform for a race car.

Don't get me wrong, a 928 can make a fine race car. Mark Anderson at 928 International has shown us that the 928 can be very quick, noting that's Mark's car is a 100% track car. It could never be a street cars as it lacks air bags, catalytic converters, an interior, etc., all sorts of the street amenities that needed to be be sacrificed (removed) in order to strip weight out of the car.

You have a S4, a desirable 928 model. Sell it and buy an already built race car. Lacking a tow vehicle and a trailer, rent a pick up from Enterprise commercial division, rent an aluminum trailer from U Haul.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:53 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

I can count the 928's I have seen racing on no hands... you are throwing your money away if you ever intend to race it. Stop at the "still a good road car" point with only reversible mods.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:44 AM
Courtshark
Rennlist Member

ATB has it right. My goal is to track a 928, as goofy as that may be. I don't intend to do anything more than DEs with it, though. If I got into club racing, I'd probably go buy a Cayman R.

That said, there are ways the 928 can shed some weight. The interior is bloated with comfort stuff. I've already replaced the stock seats (those had to be 75 lbs each) with much lighter Corbeau LG1s (comparable to Recaro SRDs).

My goal for now is to make this car into a fun DE car, and I think I've accomplished that or at least got it started in the right direction. Obviously a never-ending project! I rarely drive on the street these days. I take a train to and from work and I ride a bike to and from the train.

Harnesses are in. Brake pads upgraded at all 4 corners. Fire bottle installed. Racing seats installed. Ready for the Glen on Monday... I hope!
Old 12-14-2013, 07:31 PM
baddogz28
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

So how'd it do?
Old 12-15-2013, 01:18 AM
Courtshark
Rennlist Member

Old 12-15-2013, 04:34 AM
winders
Race Car

Received 746 Likes on 381 Posts

I think you would be better off with your hands at 3 and 9 instead of 2 and 10....

Where was your instructor?

Last edited by winders; 12-15-2013 at 08:59 AM.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:34 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

I actually support and applaud your single mindedness in sticking with the 928 platform as this is clearly what you want to do. Car sounds great also, however I would contend that V8's tend to make people lazy drivers. It looks like a fantastic GT which of course is what it was designed for. As we know, a few people have made successful transitions to race cars with them, but in general, they seem to illicit a 'cruisy' look when observed on video. Due to all the nice early torque, you don't have to change gears much and therefore don't seem to be 'ahead' of the gear changes if that makes any sense. Doesn't sound like you're heel/toeing to match engine and gearbox revs but if you just slow the car by rolling into corners you don't have to. Same with upshifts...seem to be pretty languid and somewhat behind where they should occur. Not being an asshat, just trying to be constructive.

I would also like to see your thumbs less suffocating the wheel (as much as that particular steering wheel encourages it) and more in the 2:45-3pm position as Winders suggests.

Still, you're starting slowly and seemingly deliberately. Get some coaching and you'll be fine.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:43 AM
Courtshark
Rennlist Member

Winders, I tried 9-3 and that wheel makes that a little uncomfortable. It has ***** at 10-2 that feel good. Perhaps I should change wheels.

This was my last run of the day, I think. I was solo'd off, in my first time in the white run group, for my last two sessions.

333, thanks for the feedback. I'm as singleminded as they come. Learning heel-toe is a goal of mine. Just need to practice it. The 928s pedals are unfortunately not super conducive to it, as it is a GT car. They are adjustable, I think, so perhaps I will try that.
Old 12-15-2013, 04:45 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 746 Likes on 381 Posts

Is it this style of wheel?:

Quick Reply: Order of Operations - what modifications come first for converting to a track car?