Sponsored by:

996 GT Race Car Build

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 12:32 AM
mehoff
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Jack keep your old man away from that thing or you'll never see it again. It looks stunning in person, you should wrap that front end...

As for weights, I'm 2400 w/fluids and 1/8 tank fuel and the dark green car Essa built is 50 lbs.lighter than mine!

I'd run it once to break in the motor before putting it on a dyno. The idea of repeated FT runs hitting the rev limiter just can't be good for a brand new motor on a wheel dyno. I took mine out last weekend at ACS and now will dyno shortly.....
Front end is getting wrapped matte black for sure. As for weight, I should be right on top of you, but can pull 30lbs out immediately by replacing the battery. Don't want to touch it before the dyno though (good point on dynoing after breaking it in). You should hit willow with us in two weeks.

How was ACS? I saw they added curbs to the kink; thoughts on them?
Old 10-31-2013, 10:50 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mehoff
Front end is getting wrapped matte black for sure. As for weight, I should be right on top of you, but can pull 30lbs out immediately by replacing the battery. Don't want to touch it before the dyno though (good point on dynoing after breaking it in). You should hit willow with us in two weeks.

How was ACS? I saw they added curbs to the kink; thoughts on them?
I may run at BW on Nov. 16-17 w/PCA if they'll let me in. Dan's going with some of the team....

I like the curbing as it keeps the right side exit driveable. Previously it always turns into a mud hole/rut that destroys wheels and sends idiots out of control across the track. Now I wish they'd do the same at the exit of T5/6 on the right...

I run a Optima 680 so I'm sure the we'll be within lbs. of each other. It's irrelevant with a multiplier of 9. We'll both need to carry a little weight. I'm guessing 310-315 whp for your 3.6 on a Dynojet....
Old 10-31-2013, 09:37 PM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a fairly new Odyssey 680 and custom bracket for the 996 for sale if you are interested.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:00 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 46 Posts

Looks great. I see you went for JRGs pod-type dash.
That exhaust looks trez loud.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:19 PM
Redsled
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any updates? Did the car get finished?
Old 01-29-2014, 01:46 AM
mehoff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Redsled
Any updates? Did the car get finished?
Had it out today for a 75 lap test and tune. Car ran great.....but I need more time behind the wheel.

This was my first time racing a modern car, first time driving a car with aero and the first time I'd run on slicks. Completely different style of driving from my TB momentum car; once I stopped trying to drive it like a Carrera really started to see improvement.

Chased a push all day that we figured out on the last run of the day - WAY too much rear downforce pushing the front end of the car up. Changing over to a smaller wing and hopeful that eliminates it.

Overall a very good day. I hit my target lap time and was only 6/10 away from ideal lap time. I may have hit it during the last session but my data card crapped out.

For some reason I can't post pictures here anymore, so no new shots.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:36 PM
Redsled
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the update. Were you at WSIR, Buttonwillow, ACS? Best of luck with the new ride.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:33 AM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had it out today for a 75 lap test and tune. Car ran great.....but I need more time behind the wheel.

This was my first time racing a modern car, first time driving a car with aero and the first time I'd run on slicks. Completely different style of driving from my TB momentum car; once I stopped trying to drive it like a Carrera really started to see improvement.

Chased a push all day that we figured out on the last run of the day - WAY too much rear downforce pushing the front end of the car up. Changing over to a smaller wing and hopeful that eliminates it.

Overall a very good day. I hit my target lap time and was only 6/10 away from ideal lap time. I may have hit it during the last session but my data card crapped out.

For some reason I can't post pictures here anymore, so no new shots.
if you're not subscribed, you probably exceeded your upload limit on pics.

congrats on the successful first outing!
Old 02-04-2014, 05:46 PM
mehoff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Redsled
Thanks for the update. Were you at WSIR, Buttonwillow, ACS? Best of luck with the new ride.
Out at Willow....it was pretty cool to have the track all to myself the entire day (which is great until you run the car out of gas and sit stranded on the track for 25 min).

As Ritter suggested I'm having a hard time with the braking zones, tending to really over-slow the car. Pushing my braking point past the 2-cone marker in turn 1 proved to be a difficult psychological barrier for me.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:30 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Out at Willow....it was pretty cool to have the track all to myself the entire day (which is great until you run the car out of gas and sit stranded on the track for 25 min).

As Ritter suggested I'm having a hard time with the braking zones, tending to really over-slow the car. Pushing my braking point past the 2-cone marker in turn 1 proved to be a difficult psychological barrier for me.
It takes awhile for your brain, foot and brakes to get on the same page again. I have 7Cup brakes and decided to change the valving to give a little more pedal travel. That helped. Now I can't imagine having anything else.

You'll get there too I'd wager.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:16 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ritter v3.4.6
It takes awhile for your brain, foot and brakes to get on the same page again. I have 7Cup brakes and decided to change the valving to give a little more pedal travel. That helped. Now I can't imagine having anything else.

You'll get there too I'd wager.
Dave do you have ABS with the 7-cup brakes, and what does you car weigh empty? I'm guessing your a hundred lbs. heavier than Jack or I. We're both around 2430 empty....

Last edited by jrgordonsenior; 02-04-2014 at 09:33 PM.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:02 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Dave do you have ABS with the 7-cup brakes, and what does you car weigh empty? I'm guessing your a hundred lbs. heavier than Jack or I. We're both around 2430 empty....
No ABS. I didn't have it with the stock brakes for some reason and definitely don't now. Except, now I don't miss it.

Empty I think I'm about 2560. The larger rotors and calipers definitely add mass but those aside I never got close to 2400.
I think it's because it was never stripped to the frame- just "disassembled". The harness has been pared but not the full monty. Some weight there but I doubt it's more than 20 lbs at this point.
Other than that I have no idea where the extra weight is (wish I did).
Old 03-19-2017, 06:58 PM
GT2rainge
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Great build I've been watching with great interest as I'm planning on doing something similar.
Do you know if the cage is readily available to purchase as I'm looking for something weld in for my project?
Any help is much appreciated .
Old 03-20-2017, 03:24 PM
mehoff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GT2rainge
Great build I've been watching with great interest as I'm planning on doing something similar.
Do you know if the cage is readily available to purchase as I'm looking for something weld in for my project?
Any help is much appreciated .
Any Porsche shop worth their salt will have the cup cage in CAD and can get the bars bent in an hour. Call around; shouldn't take long.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:32 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 337 Posts
Smile CAGE IN CAD

GMG (Orange County) has several cages in CAD...they can bend the ruling to factory specs, at least that's what Fabryce told me a few years back.

I am curious as to the car in questions POC competition number and POC Race Class. Seems like I am petty often pitted near Dan's rig, love to see the car.

Quick Reply: 996 GT Race Car Build