Petition to PCA to publish overtaking and 13/13 issuance rules

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 02:42 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,799 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Originally Posted by ZSA Motorsport
Im about of the same mindset when it comes to PCA. In Grand Am or WC, I think the experience and attention level is a smidge higher, drivers generally a bit more experienced or with it (general though not always and sometimes far worse)...but you also are permitted more leeway, I might continue through the turn if only 1/3 overlapped in hopes I have the inside line for the next turn. cars going side by side is not some magical, doesn't ever happen thing. It happens in all great racing, its just that there is a larger probability of hits, dents, dings, and big wrecks. and in a club race with non-professionals who might only get 4 to 15 track days/year, there is a high probability of not being able to properly feel that car to your inside, a high probability of not being able to leave proper racing lines.

in an ideal world, if you gave racing room, and both cars had great setups, great control and could navigate the trun without too much drama, this would be a non-issue. but as we've seen , its just a bit too much for PCA guys and since there is a huge premium on going home without $3000 to $30,000 in damage, its best to just give up the corners where most incidents probably occur.

in WC and Grand Am, I generally don't go to a race without spending some $1500 to $3000/event for crash insurance which still usually has some $1500 to $5000 deductible. I think the insurance company wanted $5000 premium for a $80,000 policy with a $5k deductible for my Camaro at COTA.
that's about how risky it is at a WC event.

I think pca guys can live with giving up the corner, or backing out and getting them next time by. the trophies and prize money just isn't that rewarding.
Great post. Most folks who've not driven outside PCA Club Racing lack this perspective. There's a lot to be said for the program. Just treat it carefully.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 06-06-2013, 05:50 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 519 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by John H
The way I look at it is, if a guy got to the point any part of his car is beside me, I am giving him room. If I don't get ahead of the guy before turn in, I back out. I'll get him in the next corner or set him up better the next lap. I care about my car and the other person's car. If he doesn't and chops, he has to live with that but he isn't going to hit me. This is supposed to be fun and full of camaraderie.

God does not just drop the overtaking car out of the sky. He/she got there because they were faster.
I am in agreement here. I race for fun. Nobody is paying me, it's my car, and any damage I have to pay for. If I'm coming into a turn and you stick your nose in, I give the 'car width and an inch' (or as best as i can guess an inch is, probably more like a couple feet... ). If you can make the pass, good for you. If you have to back out, good for me. But...you did get there so as John said, you are probably faster anyway.

Had a long talk with Spencer Pumpelly about race craft once, and that's what he does/talked about "car width and an inch".

Yes, it would be nice to see stuff like this published in the rule book. But as I see it, the overriding principal in CLUB RACING should be to COEXIST. Period. Simple.

The Stewards (and all the Race Staff) in PCA racing have a tough job: they VOLUNTEER to do this. This isn't their day job, not what they do for a living, not been trained since they were in High School, etc. They do it for the benefit of the racers out there having fun.

Regarding rules for 13/13, they CERTAINLY are not black and white, and I think the stewards do a very good job of finding all the facts before making a judgement. I had the 'pleasure' of being involved in an incident that was not black and white - very similar to this discussion to be honest about who has the right to a turn. I did not have video (EVERYONE should have video on EVERY session, btw..spend a few $$ to make your life easier). On the surface, and the immediate thought was that I was at fault, but the steward did a wonderful job of tracking down all the evidence, talking to racers, corner workers, etc to determine what exactly happened, that I was not at fault and it was a "racing incident", that's all.

So I'm not sure I see the need for a petition. Sure, would be nice to see the words "coexist' and such in the rule book. But what disturbs me reading through this is that it seems many DON'T know that, and are more concerned about verbiage than doing what makes common sense...

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 06-06-2013, 06:46 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by naroescape
I am in agreement here. I race for fun. Nobody is paying me, it's my car, and any damage I have to pay for. If I'm coming into a turn and you stick your nose in, I give the 'car width and an inch' (or as best as i can guess an inch is, probably more like a couple feet... ). If you can make the pass, good for you. If you have to back out, good for me. But...you did get there so as John said, you are probably faster anyway.

Had a long talk with Spencer Pumpelly about race craft once, and that's what he does/talked about "car width and an inch".

Yes, it would be nice to see stuff like this published in the rule book. But as I see it, the overriding principal in CLUB RACING should be to COEXIST. Period. Simple.

The Stewards (and all the Race Staff) in PCA racing have a tough job: they VOLUNTEER to do this. This isn't their day job, not what they do for a living, not been trained since they were in High School, etc. They do it for the benefit of the racers out there having fun.

Regarding rules for 13/13, they CERTAINLY are not black and white, and I think the stewards do a very good job of finding all the facts before making a judgement. I had the 'pleasure' of being involved in an incident that was not black and white - very similar to this discussion to be honest about who has the right to a turn. I did not have video (EVERYONE should have video on EVERY session, btw..spend a few $$ to make your life easier). On the surface, and the immediate thought was that I was at fault, but the steward did a wonderful job of tracking down all the evidence, talking to racers, corner workers, etc to determine what exactly happened, that I was not at fault and it was a "racing incident", that's all.

So I'm not sure I see the need for a petition. Sure, would be nice to see the words "coexist' and such in the rule book. But what disturbs me reading through this is that it seems many DON'T know that, and are more concerned about verbiage than doing what makes common sense...
I agree with virtually everything here, particularly the part about giving room if your opponent has his nose in, and also about the VOLUNTEER stewards, and the difficult job that they do well.

In the recent posts, we have seen incidents where it at least appears to many that room was not given by one or both parties, and yet there was no 13 awarded. That's a bit disturbing to those of us who subscribe to the "give room" and use good judgement school of thought. It LOOKS as if, (and I'll emphasize LOOKS since maybe there is another angle where things look differently) it's possible to race without following the "give room and use good judgment" philosophy, make contact, and avoid a 13. Will publishing the rules help clear this up? Maybe, maybe not. It seems to me like it wouldn't hurt though.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:20 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
In the recent posts, we have seen incidents where it at least appears to many that room was not given by one or both parties, and yet there was no 13 awarded. That's a bit disturbing to those of us who subscribe to the "give room" and use good judgement school of thought.
And more disturbing to those of us that have received 13's for the same type (chop in carousel) of incident, let alone a blatant dive-bombing...
Old 06-06-2013, 11:29 PM
esscape26
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think the stewards try that hard, sorry, even if you do something for free, you have to do a good job. They are human and treat people they know better than those they don't.
My favorite was when I got hit and called up the stairs, like 1-mile walk and then up 7 stories. The other driver was there and the steward was making an announcement on the loudspeaker for the other driver's witnesses by name to come on up. The steward asked me who my witness was, I gave a name and the steward said, well go down and get them yourself.

I said I'm too tired (out of breath) and that was the end of that.
Fortunately, the other guy's witness did pretty good on my behalf, so the other guy got the 13/13.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:17 PM
al@cpt
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen
The answer is actually much simpler than the 4 pages of complexity above.

If you are going to pass someone, get it done.

If someone is passing you, don't block them, chop them, or hit them.

At all times, in all scenarios, coexist and give racing room.

Or as the guy who taught me said....
1" you going to pass this guy or not?"

2" Don't hit stuff"...
+1000000000000000000
Old 06-07-2013, 12:49 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
And more disturbing to those of us that have received 13's for the same type (chop in carousel) of incident, let alone a blatant dive-bombing...
You must differentiate 13's from 1 1/2, 2 years ago prior to those issued now. Now the steward has more flexibility regarding single car 13's and rub outs. I much prefer the new age.
You can easily avoid most incidents with coexistence and racing room but sometimes we all make mistakes. I've had 2 13's and both times upon reflection there was something I could/should have done to make racing room, coexist or be patient...
Old 06-07-2013, 12:55 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by esscape26
I don't think the stewards try that hard, sorry, even if you do something for free, you have to do a good job. They are human and treat people they know better than those they don't.
My favorite was when I got hit and called up the stairs, like 1-mile walk and then up 7 stories. The other driver was there and the steward was making an announcement on the loudspeaker for the other driver's witnesses by name to come on up. The steward asked me who my witness was, I gave a name and the steward said, well go down and get them yourself.

I said I'm too tired (out of breath) and that was the end of that.
Fortunately, the other guy's witness did pretty good on my behalf, so the other guy got the 13/13.
I disagree and think they do a great unbiased job. Just ask any steward or club race chair... They've gotten their 13's also , inspite of their position and supposed power...
Old 06-07-2013, 01:04 PM
SoClose
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I completely agree with Glenn's insights. This is Club Racing, folks. We are all friends out there, whether we have ever met, or even if we don't like each other. If you are going to pass, do it when you are certain that you will get it done. If not certain, then don't do it. Hard and fast rules will lead to on-track decisions based on the rule and not common sense and the Spirit of Club racing.
For those that believe that the stewards don't put much effort into this, volunteer to be a steward/scrut/timer, something. Learn for yourself what goes into these decisions from an inside position. Too many f***ing whiners here. I suspect that past incidents, sanctioned or not, play some role. To me, the 13 is a 'bonehead' rule. Get them out of our Club. Put them on ice for 13 months, and if they don't reassess and learn why we're doing this, excuse them permanently.
When Brian does his: 'Take care of eachother out there', I wish he would emphasise that more than he does. If you don't understand what he means, maybe you should go elsewhere as well.
This is Club Racing.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:18 PM
esscape26
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have volunteered to do a lot. And it's my opinion in some cases, not enough thought or consistency was put into the decision, as in carrying over a body of knowledge from previous decisions. Alot of this is that there is no transparency and when there is nothing to go on, facts turn into stories turn into myths, and perhaps we think a decision happened that did not. It has nothing to do with not being friends with others or hitting people recklessly or even quitting the club because you have a different opinion on this topic. You have to talk it out.

I did not know that rubs or hits to other cars were now OK. That definitely changes how people will drive.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:42 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I think everyone here is saying just about the same thing on how they race...if there's significant overlap give a car's width, but it's not what the rules say.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:46 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by consolidated
I think everyone here is saying just about the same thing on how they race...if there's significant overlap give a car's width, but it's not what the rules say.
+1 and that's an issue - why not make the rules how we want to and how many of us do already
Old 06-07-2013, 02:47 PM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a bit late on this post, but just to say that some people here got a bit upset in the "petition" as a mean to get a message through. But IMHO, I think it did started a discussion that is of some importance to us Club Racers and maybe (hoping) that the point will be taken in consideration by PCA in some form or another. I think that the goal behind this was to ultimately have something clear regarding the passing procedure.

Just sayin'

c.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:57 PM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This article from PRN with Randy Pobst view is, IMHO, the way to go. And I would add the co existance to that. And this is where it becomes confusing... I'm pretty sure Randy Pobst clarified his views in SportsCar since then, but I can't find these articles.

c.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
1276_001.pdf (1.01 MB, 70 views)
Old 06-07-2013, 06:07 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 39 Posts

I signed it, I can't possibly get any less favoritism from the officials. I have seen and heard too many different interpretations of the rules from both racers and officials.

Quick Reply: Petition to PCA to publish overtaking and 13/13 issuance rules