Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what would you do if you wrecked someone else's race car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 08:47 AM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It think the real issue is that for many it's uncharted end territory.

You get your new car you feel obligated to thank the shop owner and let him do some fun time driving in your car 2 and he clips you and both come off on flatbeds. Very strange irregular uncommon situation. But they key is to just be aware as a car owner. U toss the keys u might pay for a crash while u were on pit wall

But wow getting taken out by your own car at the hands of your shop owner you just paid 150$ for a new build is a tough situation to digest
Would love to know how it got resolved

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Even if the Cayman got hit by another random car, the Cayman driver should not expect for that person to pick up the tab for repairs. That's the risk you take on the track. If I allowed for somebody else to drive my car, and that somebody is paid by me to drive my car, that's my risk. If you simply throw somebody the keys "to have fun" you can't hold that somebody accountable for what happens with your car.

If I were the shop owner, I would offer to fix both cars without charging for labor, but that's just me and it should not be expected.

BTW - that's why I NEVER drive anybody else's car.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:23 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
So...I drive a LOT of other peoples' cars.

My philosophy is that, if I am getting paid to get the most out of the car and/or test it and/or help set it up and/or co-drive with the owner in an enduro, the financial burden is on the owner UNLESS I make an obvious error like a money shift, which will clearly show up on DME codes. But all other maladies are on the owner, if they are paying me to do what I do.

If it is in a DE where I am a volunteer, and I drive someone's car in a DE session, I am responsible unless the incident was caused by a mechanical fault or failure of the car, or a driving error of another driver.
I don't get paid to instruct but i do use this formula for the most part as I get sometimes am asked to asses the handling and setup. If someone asks me to drive their car I am off the money hook unless I do something well out of the realm of SOP. If I ask to drive someones car I am on the money hook no mater what the cause. (to date I have never asked to drive someones car on track) If the shop owner asked to drive the car he should man up and cover the repairs. If he was offered the car to drive he is free to do waht he feels is right.

There is no real clear answer to this one as this has many aspects to it other than the standard "Have at it" with a key toss, "Tell me what you think of the handling" or a shop based test and tune. As said above if I am hit during a DE or a CR I cover my car the hitter covers his/hers. How and why the shop owner ended up in the second car and what happened on track is important and for the most part unknown here.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:39 AM
tedean
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kurt M
I don't get paid to instruct but i do use this formula for the most part as I get sometimes am asked to asses the handling and setup. If someone asks me to drive their car I am off the money hook unless I do something well out of the realm of SOP. If I ask to drive someones car I am on the money hook no mater what the cause. (to date I have never asked to drive someones car on track) If the shop owner asked to drive the car he should man up and cover the repairs. If he was offered the car to drive he is free to do waht he feels is right.
Agree. Plus, when I ask someone to drive my car, I tell them they are not responsible, I make it very clear. That is because I am learning from them by them doing so. If someone asks to drive my car, I make it clear (with a smile) they are responsible (my street car, no one asks to drive the cup). If instructing someone in their car and I made a stupid mistake, I would pay. It is the right thing to do.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:23 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

I think others have said it pretty well, particularly VR, kurt M, and tedean.

For the relatively low amount of money it cost to build, my SP996 is a fairly badass car to drive, and that plus the desire to promote the class makes me want to share the experience of driving it with people I know and trust. I've let quite a few folks drive it. These are people who I know well enough to be sure that if they were to do something truly dumb (and who isn't capable of that), they would own up to their mistake and almost certainly compensate me. To date, the worst that has happened is that a friend dropped a tire off curbing and cut the tire. He was already offering to pay for the tire as we were being towed into the paddock. I refused to take any money. It was just a $hit happens thing.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:33 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

So, to the OP, where upstate did this occur? We're all headed to Watkins Glen this weekend, but this sounds to me like a Monticello thing.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:39 AM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gums
So, to the OP, where upstate did this occur? We're all headed to Watkins Glen this weekend, but this sounds to me like a Monticello thing.
not to jump on marmimi's thunder, but MMC - I must have had about 5 emails between yesterday and this am, from various RL members giving me some facts or asking questions. wild stuff. a bad situation for sure. thankfully and this is most importantly, everyone was physically ok. cars can be replaced. $45k in damage is a massive shunt.
hopefully the shop owner is able to work it out with the customer. seems like nothing is as clear cut as you'd imagine.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:55 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 922 Likes on 562 Posts

I think everyone here would offer up to fix something minor (<~$1,000). It's not until there is something big and expensive that all of the sudden things get much fuzzier on who is supposed to pay. Sucks for the car owner and shop owner. Hopefully it all works out ok.

Like Steve said, everyone is ok which is the important part. Cars can be replaced.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:01 AM
Rick DeMan
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 649 Likes on 203 Posts

From what I saw there was no contact of any kind between the two cars, and the driver/shop owner was driving his own car.

Rick DeMan

DeMan Motorsport
Upper Nyack, NY
845 727 3070
Porsche Sales & Service
Porsche Race services and parts
www.DeManMotorsport.com
Old 05-29-2013, 11:16 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick DeMan
From what I saw there was no contact of any kind between the two cars, and the driver/shop owner was driving his own car.
That would simplify things quite a bit.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:27 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,404 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Originally Posted by MMarmini
He let the shop owner take that out for a few laps. The shop owner, in the borrowed car, went to pass the cayman driver/owner (owner of also the car the shop owner was borrowing), and somehow they tangled, and the new 3.8L cayman took a pounding.
effectively, the cayman owner in his new cayman got knocked off track by his own 2nd car driven by the shop owner who had just delivered the new cayman.
How did we go from this...........

to this???
Old 05-29-2013, 11:34 AM
Rick DeMan
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by LexVan
How did we go from this...........

to this???
Good question...! lots of mis-informed people tell stories without a clue.

Welcome to Rennlist..!
Old 05-29-2013, 12:32 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Let me be the first to open up a bag of
Old 05-29-2013, 01:19 PM
Rick DeMan
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by MMarmini
I was at a track in Upstate NY a few weeks ago. There was a racer guy there with a new Cayman race car. The owner of the shop had literally just delivered it to the new owner. The new owner had a second older car there that day. The new cayman owner allowed the shop owner to take out the second older car to enjoy while owner drove the Cayman.

Unfortunately, the shop owner went to execute a pass on the Cayman and the Cayman was crashed. When I saw it in the parking lot, its looked pretty extensively damaged. Someone jokingly said it was a $50,000 shunt. I didn't think you could do $50000 of damage to a Cayman!

If you were the shop, how would you handle that? The owner of the car was trying to be real cool about the situation, but later I could see him twitching and totally aggravated, rightly so. I'd be furious to hit me with my own car, me in my brand new car, and cause major damage.

That must be a tough nut to swallow for the shop.
Who ever you are, you are grossly mis-informed and starting a thread based on your assumptions.

There was no car to car contact, shop owner was driving his own car, and damage is less than half of your statement.

And to everyone else who forms a strong opinion based on the limited, un-checked, un-verified and plain false information placed here..... I say with all due respect, GET A LIFE...
Old 05-29-2013, 02:01 PM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Who ever you are, you are grossly mis-informed and starting a thread based on your assumptions.

There was no car to car contact, shop owner was driving his own car, and damage is less than half of your statement.

And to everyone else who forms a strong opinion based on the limited, un-checked, un-verified and plain false information placed here..... I say with all due respect, GET A LIFE...

You can't say or write any better. Well done.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:33 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

but but but...... if it's on Rennlist it MUST be true!

Quick Reply: what would you do if you wrecked someone else's race car?