My COTA Experience: A Porsche Pinata Production

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 04:27 PM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by coinboy
KaiB, you know that was you driving the first car! LOL
Nah, no beer cans falling out, no smoking tires, and I have lots of mirrors....and there's no way Rob could stay with me for 4 laps, BBAAAAAAAWWWAAHHHH...zoom.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:43 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiB
Nah, no beer cans falling out, no smoking tires, and I have lots of mirrors....and there's no way Rob could avoid hitting me for 4 laps.
FIFY
Old 05-20-2013, 05:07 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 453 Likes on 204 Posts

LOL ... thanks guys, I just lost a mouthful of my afternoon Red Bull all over my keyboard! I assume you'll all be gentlemen and offer to pay for the repair?
Old 05-20-2013, 05:19 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,895 Likes on 1,719 Posts

Originally Posted by jakermc
His crew chief came to me with a head full of steam, immediately placing blame on me (based on what his driver told him). I then calmly explained what happened and then offered to pull the video to show him what happened. We then watched the video together and he agreed his driver was at fault.

I then asked him to go back to his driver, explain the real cause of the incident, and then bring him back to my pit so he could watch the video and learn something. While watching he acknowledged fault to his crew chief (not directly to me) and then the two of them discussed the correct line using my car as the example. They then asked to watch several laps of the video so he could coach his driver on the line, thanked me sharing the video and left. No apology or discussion of the damage. In fact the driver never even engaged me directly after we were introduced.

It happened on the 10th lap of the session, not the first. If he wanted someone to follow all he had to do was point me by as I had been behind him for several laps at this point. He knew I was there and did not want me in front of him despite this being a T&T. Again, note the strange path he takes on the front straight - he moves off line in what appears to be an attempt to protect the inside.

In hindsight, yes I could have parked the car in the corner in an attempt to avoid contact. But parking on a race track is usually a bad bet, I erred on the side of him being able to avoid a car hugging the rumble strips on the opposite side of the track. Lesson learned, if this ever happens again I'll resort to the DE tactic of driving through the pits.

I agree with Plavan, the 2nd guy needs to be abused more.
He actually seemed to think the whole thing was funny. I had to walk away because I could see that it was going to get very ugly if I didn't.
I know you don't need to hear it from me, but great post. True gentleman racer you are. I'm sure the other guy was extremely embarrassed/ego was bruised and found it difficult to engage you directly. If I run into someone on the track, I hope it's you!
Old 05-20-2013, 05:27 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

LOL ... thanks guys, I just lost a mouthful of my afternoon Red Bull all over my keyboard! I assume you'll all be gentlemen and offer to pay for the repair?
I'm good for the Red Bull, or if you wait till the track goes cold, a Martini.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:30 PM
ned911
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

During practice day and T&T you need to be cognizant that others are A) learning the track or B) testing alternative lines - when I was part of national I would tell new racers to practice breaking on the inside when there was no traffic because the "DE" no longer applies when racing.

From what I was told there was absolutely no passing allowed in corners during T&T - only straights per COTA rules. The S's IMO are not straights. If those were the rules you should have been able to see his rear bumper at any time until a passing zone. Smart thing would have been to back off until and get him after the kink.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:36 PM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
I'm good for the Red Bull, or if you wait till the track goes cold, a Martini.
He needs four of five Mike.

I feel badly that the weekend left such a bad taste in Rob's mouth for PCA CR - my experiences have all been great (once the pachinko cars stop spinning around.)
Old 05-20-2013, 05:49 PM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 145 Posts

Unfortunately I have said it before and I say it again the quality of drivers is getting worse not better in PCA. This is compounded by cars and tires being more capable than ever. Recipe for the problems that keep developing in PCA (and other organizations)

The whole club racing term means we watch our mirrors and we leave racing room for fellow competitors - the funny part is that if some people did this racing would become 10x's more enjoyable for them
Old 05-20-2013, 06:49 PM
coinboy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
If I run into someone on the track, I hope it's you!
LOL, I always say "If you can't bet your friends... HIT THEM !"
Old 05-20-2013, 07:03 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

How did these guys even get signed off solo?

Oh, wait, this was racing! Wow.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:00 PM
Vonschmidt
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not yet a Club Racer, still training and making sure I have all the skills I need to protect everyone's investment and keep others safe.

That said I have driven COTA a fair amount and even on the very first day in a DE enviroment did not see this poor of quality car control. I cannot understand being this overwhelmed by a track, if you can't figure it out pull off, walk around, observer other drivers from literally hundreds of vantage points.

I am sorry for your loss however I really hope this video and the lack of common courtesy has caught the attention of PCA National and that the drivers ticket is getting reviewed.

The worst IMHO is him sitting at your car and reviewing the diaster and not being man enough to simply shake your had, apologize for unbelievable bad decisions and an offer to pay for the damage. I bought a SPB over a Spec Piñata so I could run with gentlemen when the time is right.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:07 PM
bassam
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While I loved the event and seeing my old friends, I had the unfortunate experience of being in the wrong place at the wrong time - twice!

Here is a clip of me being hit in the non-PCA run Test & Tune on Thursday. After trailing the rear bumper of the much higher hp car for several laps, the video picks up the story where it appears he wants to take a defensive line on the front straight before remembering his hp advantage. Defensive line, in a Test & Tune? About a minute later he broadsides my driver's side door before turn 9.

https://vimeo.com/66473824

In the next clip I am rear-ended in the braking zone for T12 on Lap 1 of the first race. The other driver never reported to the black flag station but we were able to identify him from the view in my rear view mirror. When I found him, the exchange went like this:

Me: 'I'm the guy you hit, what happened out there?'
Him: 'Oh. Just run into a bunch of slower trafffic.'
Me: (Internal thought - you mean the guys who qualified ahead of you?)
Me: 'What did you expect entering a hairpin turn on Lap 1 of the race?'
Him: 'That was the first lap of my first race.'
Me: 'Well, you really need to anticipate that will happen for the first couple of laps. It will take a while for the field to thin out in a big race.'

I then begin looking at the front bumper of his car, looking to see what damage he had

Him: 'Oh, most of that is not from you. It's from last week'.

I had to walk away at that point, unable to communicate at the level this guy was operating at.

https://vimeo.com/66474343
Sorry to hear about your incidents! knowing you I'm sure an apology from the other drivers would have been more than enough to at least make the situation a little better. On the other hand that's what you get for calling my car a POS!
Old 05-20-2013, 09:15 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Does anybody know who the other driver is?
Any chance we can get to hear what he had to say to defend him/herself here on RL?
That is got to be more than just plain incompetence......... at least I hope so.....
Old 05-20-2013, 09:35 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I will repeat what I said in the 3rd post, this driving is inexplicable. I would bet serious money that a driver with just one full day on the track DE experience would would have been more predictable.

I'm from Toronto, our mayor smokes crack and that guy looks like he was on crack - no one that has been on a track more than 3 times and was sober and not high would be driving like that.

Pull the fvck over and follow someone - can you imagine this guy on the N-Ring - he would be responsible for at least 50 deaths.

That guy is the definition of completely oblivious.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:12 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,895 Likes on 1,719 Posts

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
I'm from Toronto, our mayor smokes crack and that guy looks like he was on crack - no one that has been on a track more than 3 times and was sober and not high would be driving like that.
Stop your bragging. We invented mayors smoking crack with Marion Barry, of Washington DC some 15 years ago, we know what crack heads look like!

Quick Reply: My COTA Experience: A Porsche Pinata Production