Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does Auto-x lend itself to HPDE?

Old 05-11-2013, 11:02 PM
Transporter
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does Auto-x lend itself to HPDE?

Hi, first time poster here, been enjoying the discussions here for several months. I'm curious as to whether Auto-x skills translate to positive on track performance? Take a modestly powered car as an example (10:1 weight/HP ratio). What's been your experience and why? Rich
Old 05-11-2013, 11:14 PM
John's 991
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have not done much autocross but plenty of DE's and personally think that it helps with car control, but is very different and does not directly translate. Also I find the relatively little amount of driving time at an auto cross relative to a DE makes them less fun as well as less opportunity to improve. Its great to be able to multiple laps one after the other when working on something.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:34 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 708 Likes on 413 Posts

Originally Posted by Transporter
Hi, first time poster here, been enjoying the discussions here for several months. I'm curious as to whether Auto-x skills translate to positive on track performance? Take a modestly powered car as an example (10:1 weight/HP ratio). What's been your experience and why? Rich
Yes it helps. Car control (slip angle, loose or pushy) at reasonable speeds, learn to look and think ahead. Yes it does translate to DE in the looking and thinking ahead, carrying slip angle, ie slither not slide, the one thing AutoX drivers need to do on the track is slow down the hands as they tend to be jerky not smooth.

Peter
Old 05-12-2013, 07:45 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

I think it does translate based on my experience instructing such individuals. Yesterday I was instructing a guy at Sebring who has a lot of autocross experience. This was only his second day at a DE, both at Sebring, and both with me as his instructor. IMO he is almost ready for solo, pending learning heel/toe.

Like Peter alluded to, his steering inputs had to be smoothed out/slowed down, something he improved on quickly.

Of course one anecdote doesn't prove my point, especially since his rapid advancement could just as well be because of the superior instruction he'd received from me.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:34 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 74 Posts

I've had two students with a fair amount of AX experience and their ability to learn the line and their car control was evident so yes it helps. Seat time of any kind is good.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:19 AM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 148 Likes on 94 Posts

Yes. Same principles apply. Keep you eyes up, be smooth, getting corners right in a way that sets you up well for the next corner are just a few.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:57 AM
spare tire
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had an experienced auto-xer as a DE student. He was good but war used to tossing the car for a fast rotation. I explained the he had to slow his inputs and smooth things out so the car never gets upset and he was able to understand and responded to advice instantly and perfectly. I have never before seen some one completely change their driving style after a two minute conversation. I think it might have helped his autocrossing also.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:30 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

^ That was how my student responded also. One or two comments about the "herky-jerky" steering inputs along with slowing him down a bit and he became a smooth driver almost instantly. I was impressed.
Old 05-12-2013, 01:28 PM
Ken89911T
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Larry Herman, where are you?
Old 05-12-2013, 01:43 PM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Xx that autox translates well. Of course, also depends how good an autox'er they were.

But a a good autox'er learns to "feel" the car is a relatively safe environment, that IMHO can be more difficult to learn on track (higher speeds = greater risk). But also as mentioned, a good autox'er has gotten used to quick transitions which aren't so necessary on the track. Though I've also seen good autox'ers who were naturally smooth, and applied that on the track, too.

Last edited by aj986s; 05-13-2013 at 09:39 AM.
Old 05-12-2013, 01:48 PM
car_slave
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All the above, plus it costs about 90% less per event.
Old 05-12-2013, 02:19 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 743 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by Transporter
I'm curious as to whether Auto-x skills translate to positive on track performance?
Absolutely!!!

Scott
Old 05-12-2013, 02:57 PM
DOUGLAP1
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

I feel that a sucessful year of auto-x should be a prerequisite to getting on any race track. Auto-x teaches car control and balance in as safe of a setting as you can get before stepping up to a race track, as long as you realize that they are different disciplines. To be fast in auto-x you have to be way more agressive and use geneally higher tire slip angles than on a road course, while on a road course you need to focus on being smooth and consistent before being fast.

FYI, I did auto-x for about 5 years before going road racing in SCCA with a Lola S2000 car for about 6 years, then back to auto-x for a few years, and now doing DE's, and looking for my next race car, so I have seen both sides. There is a "trueism" that if you start at auto-x, you can move sucessfully to road racing, but the reverse is not as easy.

The poster guy for this was Randy Pobst who was an auto-x champion in SCCA before moviing to road racing where he is still a pro driver.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:26 PM
DDun911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Worked for Randy Probst
My best de students were autocrossers
I highly suggest autocross for de students looking to improve.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:34 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 743 Likes on 380 Posts

I think it is crazy to go to your first DE event without at least 4 or 5 autocross events under your belt. There is so much to learn about yourself, car control, and car limits autocrossing.....

Scott

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Does Auto-x lend itself to HPDE?