Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DE's per Class

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 10:48 AM
ninjacoco
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It really, really depends on the person and the school. There's a guy locally who never made it out of green (what most of the ones I know of call the n00b group here) with at least one group, but then again, he had the whole "flat out" attitude--wouldn't listen to instructors, wasn't safe, wasn't predictable and just wasn't in control of his car.

Most people I know get tossed out of green the second they get the basics down. Sometimes you might get put back in there if you run with a different group/new track/etc. Just roll with it and quit worrying so much about getting out of novice group. Learn things and it'll come, no problems.

Last edited by ninjacoco; 05-06-2013 at 12:19 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:11 AM
equiraptor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
As instructors, we are always considering whether or not our student is in the correct run group. We want to promote you, ...when you are ready.
As he said, when you are ready. We want you in the run group where you will learn and be safe. The individual labels are less important than your traffic management skills, your visuals, your experience on track (which helps identify potentially dangerous situations and ways to resolve them), etc. Pace is only one of many factors.

And "experience on track" isn't necessarily "done XYZ days". Rather, it's seen behaviors, events, corner types, etc., gained an understanding for how your car responds to needs to change your plans, understanding when to choose to go straight off vs. when to try to save it (and potentially end up spinning), and more. Exactly what you need will depend on how you're driving, where you're running, and what you already understand.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:12 PM
hinchcliffe
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

We once as a joke wrote on the white board at the front of the garage. At least it was the afternoon of day two, $50 to advance to the next run group cash only......

I actually had at least two ask who they need to pay......
Old 05-06-2013, 12:21 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by hinchcliffe
We once as a joke wrote on the white board at the front of the garage. At least it was the afternoon of day two, $50 to advance to the next run group cash only......

I actually had at least two ask who they need to pay......
So, did you make a quick C-note?
Old 05-06-2013, 12:31 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

As stated, there is no set formula.

I've had a student go from running in green to Red [fastest] in one event. (story at end of post)* I've had other students go for more than a year in Blue. And then never make it out of Yellow. It really depends on your ability and commitment (instruction and free time) among other things. If you do 1 event a year, it might take a long time.

-td

*Student came in as a "new to us" and "new to track." Was slated to drive in Yellow to evaluate (in a Miata no less!). Got permission to go out first in Green group to get a feel for track. With no traffic, ended up within 1 second of Miata track record. Then caught backmarkers and came in. The guy could drive!! No need to evaluate in Yellow - straight to Red. Turns out it was Kenton Koch. I think he's slated to run Miata Cup series now. All thanks to my instruction, of course.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:51 PM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 298 Posts

Looks like a great thread
Originally Posted by TXE36
The TX PCA regions have a very specific set of criteria for promotion that you can use as a guide for judging what you need to do to get to the next level.
I have not seen one for our region...............
Originally Posted by Manifold
In other words, just do your best and it'll happen when you're ready.
Instructor does not say much................
Originally Posted by car_slave
they'll make "flat out" jokes abut you behind your back.
Am quite used to that
Originally Posted by GuyIncognito
you don't advance until you win your DE.
I'm not in it to win - my only competition is myself.
Originally Posted by SiberianDVM

Be patient, Grasshopper.
I am patient, but getting a bit bored. Sat in on several classes for the next 'step up' and enjoyed that. Our groups are D=Beginner ->C->B->A=Advanced
Originally Posted by mglobe
. We want to promote you, ...when you are ready.
Saturday he told me I had a perfect run and ran solo Sunday afternoon.
Originally Posted by ninjacoco
he had the whole "flat out" attitude
I already know I can do 'flat out'- just want to be sure I have the technique down.
Originally Posted by equiraptor
Exactly what you need will depend on how you're driving, where you're running, and what you already understand.
My instructor said he loves the smell of burning brakes
Old 05-06-2013, 06:59 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,750 Likes on 2,174 Posts

^ A key reason not to be too preoccupied with advancing through run groups is that it'll interfere with your safety, fun, and learning ... and thus interfere with advancing through the run groups!
Old 05-06-2013, 08:37 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
P.s. Here's CVR's refund policy, if anyone's interested: http://www.cvrpca.org/docs/de/Cancel...olicy-2013.pdf

I know what their policy is, but it isn't etched in stone as it seems some of the other regions are.. they will discuss it with you like they give a ****, maybe offer a credit, etc. ESPECIALLY if you are not a fair-weather cancellation nightmare. I don't cancel for weather, and NEVER cancelled with HCP before. You really want me to get back on this track?
Old 05-06-2013, 08:49 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,403 Likes on 748 Posts

Gary, I don't think he really cares
Old 05-06-2013, 08:53 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Gary, I don't think he really cares
Well then, that takes all the fun out of it....
Old 05-06-2013, 09:10 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I know what their policy is, but it isn't etched in stone as it seems some of the other regions are.. they will discuss it with you like they give a ****, maybe offer a credit, etc. ESPECIALLY if you are not a fair-weather cancellation nightmare. I don't cancel for weather, and NEVER cancelled with HCP before. You really want me to get back on this track?
I don't know why, but I get the feel now that Van will have an invisible target on his car at the Glen.........

Just kidding........ plus prepared E and SP cars will be in different groups.....

As far as the OP question, I would say that the "Timeline from Green......" thread would give you a vast amount of information and........entertainment......
Old 05-06-2013, 09:12 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Priceless

This thread is priceless. 30 plus pages and well worth reading. I remember this.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:17 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Gary, I consider you a friend and a good instructor. If it's standard PCA policy to submit your case to the board for a credit for a future event, then let's go through that process. I think it's reasonable to ask for a credit - I'll even vouch for you!

But I don't think it's fair to single out HCP region when CVR region has the same policy. I know it's no fun diving into the cost and time required to rebuild an engine. I'd like to think that's put you in a sour mood... Let me know if there's something I can do to help (something within my power - I don't have access to the clubs funds, nor am I on the board).
Old 05-06-2013, 09:49 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Do not be shy to ask for a check run if you think that you are demonstrating the right skills, behaviors and experience.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:19 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Van
Gary, I consider you a friend and a good instructor. If it's standard PCA policy to submit your case to the board for a credit for a future event, then let's go through that process. I think it's reasonable to ask for a credit - I'll even vouch for you!

But I don't think it's fair to single out HCP region when CVR region has the same policy. I know it's no fun diving into the cost and time required to rebuild an engine. I'd like to think that's put you in a sour mood... Let me know if there's something I can do to help (something within my power - I don't have access to the clubs funds, nor am I on the board).
Van - no issue between you and I at all. CVR is what, 25x the size of HCP? One email, a couple phone calls, THEN they say NO. HCP, It sounds like i'm dealing with friggin IBM! The "board"? C'mon, Joe Bob texts Billy Bob, ***** Joe shrugs, May Louise writes it down, board meeting is over!

We can talk at the Glen, let's get this thread back on how long it takes Karen to get into F1 Lites..

Quick Reply: DE's per Class