Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Race car choice for only 2 or 3 races per year

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 12:29 PM
Vampire
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 24 Posts

Maybe that is why the 911's are cheap and plentiful?
Old 04-09-2013, 12:44 PM
mike1111
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just bought a spec 996, did a lot of research, you get a lot of speed for the dollar..
Old 04-09-2013, 06:48 PM
coinboy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mike1111
Just bought a spec 996, did a lot of research, you get a lot of speed for the dollar..
That is great to hear Mike! Look forward to racing with you.
I have had a blast with mine and love all the other guys running the class.
I know of 6 other builds going right now as well, this class is going to grow big time by the end of the year.

The rest of the year for a group of us SP996 guys looks like this:
NOLA
COTA
Mid Ohio - maybe
Road America
Daytona
ECR

See you at the track
Old 04-09-2013, 10:15 PM
mike1111
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by coinboy
That is great to hear Mike! Look forward to racing with you.
I have had a blast with mine and love all the other guys running the class.
I know of 6 other builds going right now as well, this class is going to grow big time by the end of the year.

The rest of the year for a group of us SP996 guys looks like this:
NOLA
COTA
Mid Ohio - maybe
Road America
Daytona
ECR

See you at the track
Going to get acquainted with it for the rest of the year and get some more coaching. Will be at Daytona but not sure if I will be racing or doing the DE.. Looking forward to catching up to you guys soon...
Old 04-09-2013, 10:20 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,403 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by mike1111
Going to get acquainted with it for the rest of the year and get some more coaching.
Let me know if I can help. I am EXTREMELY familiar with the SP996 platform, having helped set up nearly all the cars & worked with nearly all the current drivers.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:18 AM
txhansen
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the comments. Here are my thoughts on the options right now. I am pretty focused on the three classes I mentioned Spec Boxster, Spec Miata and 996 Cup. Thinking the air cooled stuff is too much of an engineering exercise, I hear quite a bit about the cost to build and maintain them and frankly I lean more towards newer cars than older ones. Looked at Spec 996 but feel the costs are too close in cost to 996 Cup cars and I feel the reliability, class fields size and long term resale of the Cup makes them the way to go if I want to go fast and spend real money.

Spec Ford is an option I looked at briefly in the past and that may be worth another look. One issue there is you are only running with SCCA.

On the rental path I don't like the idea of someone just telling me what the cost to fix something is and when I have to do it. Guess it is why I have never leased a car either.

Formula Mazda cars are very cool and crazy fast but after seeing a person killed in one at a race I am cool on open wheel cars and my wife draws the lines on that. She is very supportive of my racing but is out on open wheel racing.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:35 AM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Given your limited time to spend "racing"......I would RENT....no brainer....for a grand total of 5 days on track for year....no racer thats any fun is worth it.....just rent something...
Old 04-10-2013, 12:52 AM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm basically in the same boat as the OP, so color me very interested in this thread. I'm also located in Texas, so please PM me with any interesting finds, ideas, or offers.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:52 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Anyone want a really nice spec boxster build? The local class is no bueno, I won the NASAAZ PTD championship with it but I need to step up to a class with more people to play with. So I either sell this and get 993pets car, get a "Brazilian" or this thing is getting a cup wing and a 3.4...
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Race car choice for only 2 or 3 races per year