Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black people shouldn't fund auto racing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 04:51 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 76 Posts

"Obviousness" personified:

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2013/03/...cil_battl.html

I find this less interesting than discussing things like sway bars.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:52 PM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Mahler9th
I agree, taken by itself such a quote is inappropriate in my opinion. But I do not take quotes by themselves. Even quotes from secretly taped videos at fundraisers. Even quotes about guns and religion in Pennsylvania. People make mistakes about what they say all of the time. It even happens in Forums like these. We are not perfect beings, and often even more so when we are trying to convince others toward some outcome we desire.

Yes I have been to a professional race. I have actually raced in paid spectator events and been compensated for race results (won a "purse"). As a businessperson with some amount of educational background and experience, I have heard arguments like: "if we invest y we can get a huge multiple of that investment, so why not?" It is almost never that simple in my experience.

In this case I do not know who would reap the benefits as I haven't tried to read any of what might be easily accessible information. I am old enough to know that there can be "unfairness" when it comes to reaping benefits from such things. And of course not necessarily along racial lines. Lots of possibilities.

I would not say that the city in which I live should definitely hold an F1 race because we automatically get $300M of local benefit for a $10M investment. Our political and economic systems are a little too complex for me to instantly take such a position.

And Scott, no I did not watch any videos or access any other information about what happened there. I don't care enough to spend the time. But "obviousness" to you is different from obviousness to me. You know that.

Of course if the situation is what it "seems" to some folk, then it will sort itself out. Like college coaches roughing up players in practice.

"Seems? Nay it is. I know not seems."
Man... you folks in the Bay area have the whole "political correctness" thing mastered.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:57 PM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoosier_Daddy
Man... you folks in the Bay area have the whole "political correctness" thing mastered.
My thoughts exactly. Got it down to a fine art - smooth delivery also.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:58 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

What is the proper internet lingo here... face palm? Lol?

How big is that paint brush?

I suspect this thread should be moved.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:02 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

I have a friend that owns an indoor karting track nearby. A few years ago, he learned of a competing business that was going to set up shop right near his. And have a higher "production value," including, get this, a bar!

So he convinced a bunch of customers and friends to show up at the city council meeting and argue against the new business. He does not live in our town. A lot of people showed up and made a lot of noise about the potential for "issues."

The business people decided not to move forward. Which is a good thing for Tesla buyers since that would have been their hangout and they would have been **faced building those cars.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:03 PM
KaiB
Banned

Originally Posted by Mahler9th
What is the proper internet lingo here... face palm? Lol?

How big is that paint brush?

I suspect this thread should be moved.
You're the one concerned about calling a spade a spade here. It's blatant, obvious racism and yet you're willing to sugarcoat it.

Sure, move the thread.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:06 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Sigh.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:49 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the district is primarily African American then the lion share of the $300k is THEIR tax money. If the majority of the benefits of the investment go somewhere other bettering THEIR community or if the money could be spent somewhere that would provide a different, but perhaps better return, then it is the wrong place to put the money.
Just because this councilman spoke about the racial makeup of his district does not make it a racist statement. It is just a demographic fact and he is simply representing the district that elected him. Many of you guys are jumping to the conclusion that it is about race. Projecting maybe?

It would not surprise me if many who are pro-government investment in this case or in the F1 races where passionately opposed to the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act. Very much the same thing. Economic multiplier. Maybe this is a good investment. Maybe not. A lot more info and numbers/projections would need to be analyzed and crunched before coming to a conclusion. Government is the people and and it's primary function is to improve in the community. It is always investing. It comes down to where the money is being spent.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:00 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 762 Likes on 385 Posts

Here is a quote from one of the videos:

"I have seen nobody, nobody, that looks like me making any decision about Barber Sports Motor place. None. Zero."

The "community" is Birmingham, AL. The revenue generated for the city by the race is ~$80M.

It would appear that the sentiment is "if no people that look like me are involved in making decisions at the track, I don't want to send any money their way". Who cares if it costs the city ~$80M in revenue.....

Scott
Old 04-05-2013, 06:28 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 755 Posts

Randy, this jackass spoke of the racial makeup of the CITY, not his council district.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:50 PM
multi21
On temporary vacation

Received 2,895 Likes on 1,719 Posts

There are a finite number of race events per year. If this dumbass isn't smart enough to know what constitutes a good deal for the city, then f him and go somewhere else.

My problem with these scumbags is that they are the first ones to cry racism if the race DIDNT come to their city and say its because the people who race, own the race teams and run the event are not like them!

What over tourist incentives or attractions are there in Birmingham?

Sorry but I've seen way better bull**** artists than this guy in Birmingham and the outcome is always the same. I really do feel sorry for all the business owners regardless of color in Birmingham that will not get that boost in activity.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:06 PM
multi21
On temporary vacation

Received 2,895 Likes on 1,719 Posts

BTW, people say things they did not mean or came out wrong but there are opportunities to correct that especially when you can attract media attention as this counsel member can. In this case, I don't see a retraction or clarification of the spoken words.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:13 PM
morganabowen
Addict
Rennlist Member

It is so sad that in this day and age, we are still catagorizing situations by ethnicity. Who benefits from the proceeds of the event It should be the citizens, and color should not be a factor. When will this change
Old 04-05-2013, 08:30 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 762 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by morganabowen
It is so sad that in this day and age, we are still catagorizing situations by ethnicity. Who benefits from the proceeds of the event It should be the citizens, and color should not be a factor. When will this change
Well, a big part of the problem are those people that think they are owed special treatment today because of past inequities.

Basically, this councilman is saying that a mostly Black city should not help fund a sporting event run by non-Black people, regardless of the positive economic impact of the sporting event. I could understand this if the event did not bring several hundred times the funding in revenue to the city. I could also understand if the organization running the event had been shown to be racist.

Does IndyCar prevent Black participation, actively or passively? I am sure that Michael Jordan or ***** T. Ribbs could form an IndyCar team and be welcome with open arms.

Scott
Old 04-05-2013, 08:54 PM
spanky
Rennlist Member

Received 686 Likes on 475 Posts

Over the top and pretty stupid. Nothing more needs to be said.

Quick Reply: Black people shouldn't fund auto racing?