Sponsored by:

2014 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 06:00 AM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GuyIncognito
I've driven manuals, torque converter automatics, PDKs, F1s, DSGs, CVTs, you name it...and I've had involving driving experiences in them all (well maybe not the CVT Audi ).

I understand some of the appeal of a manual, but that's not the end all and be all of the driving experience, and there are so many other ways to enjoy the driving experience.

I'm kind of sad for you guys who can't see that.
Well actually in my mind it is (the be all and end all). Autos are boring to drive. Period. Sure if you get the opportunity to drive an F1 car, that would be far from boring, but we're talking about road cars here.

At club days we get a lot of GT3s, from 996 to 997 GT3RS. How many auto cars do we get? Maybe 1 on rare occasions. The reason? There is no joy in driving these. They may be quicker, but they're not more involving.

PDK may be the future, but I think there will always be a demand for manual. The price of a 997 GT3 just went up.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:05 AM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug007
Umm, most drivers also control the acceleration of the car through the throttle. In a 475 bhp 991 GT3 that is a very important input!
Umm .. yes, should have said 4 inputs. lol
Old 03-06-2013, 08:51 AM
GT3 Techno
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jakermc
If the point of PDK is to max out lap times then that also dictates that the car will be driven in auto mode. This is ultimately the problem with PDK on the track - is not the lack of a clutch pedal, its the complete lack of driver involvement with gear selection.
Exactly. I have nothing against paddle shift. PDK is an automatic tranny not a real paddle shifter. Plus this rear directional wheels thing is a joke on a sport car that is supposed to be their street legal race version. No more GT3 in my future.

Hopefully they will do it the right way for the RS...
Old 03-06-2013, 12:18 PM
Adam@Autometrics
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 Techno
Exactly. I have nothing against paddle shift. PDK is an automatic tranny not a real paddle shifter. Plus this rear directional wheels thing is a joke on a sport car that is supposed to be their street legal race version. No more GT3 in my future.

Hopefully they will do it the right way for the RS...
How is PDK not a "real" paddle shift? Serious question. Is it because it has an automatic mode? Dual clutch is an evolution of the manual transmission, and every new model with paddle shift is almost certain to use it.
I would assume that the "manual" mode on the PDK would be quicker on-track. I have to think most experienced drivers would not want a computer second-guessing their gear choice. The VW DSG (dual clutch) had some overrides, where it would upshift/downshift even in manual mode, and many tuners developed software to eliminate the overrides and improve performance.

I'm a little sad that rev-match downshifting and scary-fast upshifting are becoming obsolete (similar to double-clutch shifting before synchronized gearboxes, or air-cooling on 911s), and I'm not ready to give up my clutch yet, but I'm shopping a TDI DSG for the wife this weekend.
This should come as good news for 997GT3 owners, as I expect this will prop up the value of those cars for a very long time-similar to the 993.

Last edited by Adam@Autometrics; 03-06-2013 at 12:33 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:08 PM
Doug007
Racer

Originally Posted by Adam@Autometrics
I would assume that the "manual" mode on the PDK would be quicker on-track. I have to think most experienced drivers would not want a computer second-guessing their gear choice.
That is part of the problem, the auto mode is actually faster than the manual mode so you literally don't need to think about the gearbox or clutch at all.

The electronics are so advanced now that the gearbox will always be in the correct gear regardless of the situation. Now it's just steering, brake, and throttle.

Driving a GT3 is now:
1. Pound brakes to ABS activation point
2. Steer near ideal racing line
3. Floor throttle and let traction/stability control figure it out.

I think most of us would rather have the formula from the 996 GT3 where the most important engine computer was protected by a helmet.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:17 PM
Silver Rose
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I really dont get the rear steering thing. It is used to reduce "phase Lag" according to Porsche, but phase lag (as best I have learned) is due to more than one input into the electric power stering (EPS) computer. The inputs being driver, load and yaw inputs. Now they are putting in rear steering to over come the problems of EPS?
why not just go back to the good old style (and awsome by most peoples reports) Hydroic PS and call it done. It would eliminate the need for rear steering and keep the GT3 light weight and simple..........ops, maybe I answered it there.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:24 PM
Doug007
Racer

The elephant in the room in the Drive interview is emissions and mileage. He dances around the issue but it is the fundamental reason for a lot of these developments.

Why a direct fuel injected engine? It's not about more power or torque, it's all about emissions and mileage. Well that and economy of scale by using the common engine for the other 911s.

Why electronic steering? Because it increases mileage by drawing less power from the engine.

The PDK box also gets a better EPA mileage number than the manual...

991 Carrera w/ manual: 19 city/27 highway
911 Carrera w/ PDK: 20 city/ 28 highway
Old 03-06-2013, 01:31 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

The elephant in the room in the Drive interview is emissions and mileage. He dances around the issue but it is the fundamental reason for a lot of these developments.

Why a direct fuel injected engine? It's not about more power or torque, it's all about emissions and mileage. Well that and economy of scale by using the common engine for the other 911s.

Why electronic steering? Because it increases mileage by drawing less power from the engine.

The PDK box also gets a better EPA mileage number than the manual...

991 Carrera w/ manual: 19 city/27 highway
911 Carrera w/ PDK: 20 city/ 28 highway
truth.

I was surprised by the statement about not having physical space to build two engine lines as well.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:41 PM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Jarez Mifkin
Aircooled FTW! 10 F cars signed up for Road Atlanta this month, 7 air cooled 911s.
Interesting... Thanks
Old 03-06-2013, 01:47 PM
GT3 Techno
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Adam@Autometrics
How is PDK not a "real" paddle shift? Serious question. Is it because it has an automatic mode?
That's it.

Like an Audi Tiptronic automatic transmission with a "sport mode" for paddle shifting... Why would anyone would want an auto mode in a real sports car ? Is there a pro racing series where automatic transmission is allowed ?
Old 03-06-2013, 01:49 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GT3 Techno
That's it.

Like an Audi Tiptronic automatic transmission with a "sport mode" for paddle shifting... Why would anyone would want an auto mode in a real sports car ? Is there a pro racing series where automatic transmission is allowed ?
tiptronic is a torque converter automatic.

PDK is a dual clutch manual with electronic/hydraulic operation.

worlds of difference, mechanically.

and move to LA, or NYC, or Chicago, and you'll want auto mode in a sports car
Old 03-06-2013, 02:06 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by naroescape
anybody know why Ferrari & Lambo went to paddle shifters and away from manual?

Because they found that their customer base were older rich guys with not a lot of driving talent that couldn't handle the performance clutch, thus burning them out in 3-5k miles...in turn creating an image that Ferraris and Lambos have faulty components. So, they took the issue (human) out of the equation.

Just sayin...

That is part of the problem, the auto mode is actually faster than the manual mode so you literally don't need to think about the gearbox or clutch at all.

The electronics are so advanced now that the gearbox will always be in the correct gear regardless of the situation. Now it's just steering, brake, and throttle.

Driving a GT3 is now:
1. Pound brakes to ABS activation point
2. Steer near ideal racing line
3. Floor throttle and let traction/stability control figure it out.

I think most of us would rather have the formula from the 996 GT3 where the most important engine computer was protected by a helmet.
This explains it all.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:10 PM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Wow, just like the manual steering I installed on my 951!
Old 03-06-2013, 04:49 PM
GT3 Techno
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GuyIncognito
tiptronic is a torque converter automatic.

PDK is a dual clutch manual with electronic/hydraulic operation.

worlds of difference, mechanically.

and move to LA, or NYC, or Chicago, and you'll want auto mode in a sports car
Even if they are night and day mechanically, the end result is still an automatic transmission with a "manual mode". In a GT3 it makes as much sense as the paddle shifters in my MB GL350 diesel.

Porsche should leave the comfy daily driver options for the Turbo.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:22 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,429 Likes on 2,039 Posts

LOL.... the first time I tried to left foot brake my 996 GT3 the power cut out.... stupid drive by wire.....

Quick Reply: 2014 GT3