Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Racing & Drivers Education Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum-65/)
-   -   Question for DE instructors (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/738141-question-for-de-instructors.html)

white924s 01-28-2013 02:02 PM

Question for DE instructors

Hypothetically, if you were an instructor at a DE event, what would you think of this scenario:

Student's car is mostly stock (street tires, street suspension, basically unmodified motor), but the student has added fixed back seats and 6-pt harnesses. Everything is properly mounted, but the student is using a Brey-Krause harness bar for the shoulder belts and the car does not have a roll bar or roll cage (it is a coupe, so it complies with the letter of the safety rules). Factory 3-pt belts are also available if you prefer those to harnesses.

Would you instruct in a car like that? I know the harness bar/roll bar discussion has been had here already a few times, but I couldn't find much on whether most instructors/tech inspectors would have a problem with this type of setup.

I am asking because I am looking at safety gear upgrades, and while a roll bar would no doubt be safer, it is also much more expensive and presents logistical hurdles. In most situations, I think most agree that properly installed 6-pt belts and a HANS are safer than 3-pt belts. There is some debate about whether they are safer in a rollover, but quite frankly, I wouldn't feel great about going into a rollover with the 3-pt belts either. For me, I would be OK with doing the safety upgrades in 2 steps (everything but roll bar now, then roll bar down the road), but I want to get a sense of how instructors feel because I still want to be able to get instruction at events.

Thanks!

aj986s 01-28-2013 02:16 PM

I don't see a problem with the proposed setup. However, both driver and passenger should be using the same restraint system; both using 6-point or both using OEM 3-point. Also note that intructors come in all sizes, so some racing seats and/or 6-point belts might be problematic for larger folks.

Gary R. 01-28-2013 02:31 PM

No problem with me Mike, as long as the region says it's ok.... but some people say I have a death wish (after they watch me drive).

mglobe 01-28-2013 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Gary R. (Post 10178917)
No problem with me Mike, as long as the region says it's ok.... but some people say I have a death wish (after they watch me drive).

I'm fine with the setup as long as Gary isn't driving. :evilgrin:

Gary R. 01-28-2013 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by mglobe (Post 10178934)
I'm fine with the setup as long as Gary isn't driving. :evilgrin:

Most people feel that way Mike... and that covers ANY setup. :roflmao:

FGL28 01-28-2013 02:49 PM

I would instruct from the right seat as long as it is not my wife in the drivers seat.:icon107:

element 01-28-2013 02:57 PM

a harness is one of the best upgrades anyways.. its amazing how much energy you use holding yourself in the seat with OEM 3 point.. with a harness your hips are attached to the seat and you get much more feel for all the controls... will probably help keep you out of a wall, so there is a balance there!

phil.

bobt993 01-28-2013 03:16 PM

Harness guide bar or strut harness brace? Big difference. If it is a guide bar and the harnesses are mounted to it rather than to anchor point then just use the factory belts. If Gary is there just swap students with him.

Veloce Raptor 01-28-2013 05:12 PM

I am reluctant to get into cars with seats & harnesses, but no rollover protection whatsoever.

white924s 01-28-2013 05:20 PM

Thanks everyone, that's helpful feedback. I will probably get a large passenger seat to match the large driver one that I will need - hopefully that will accommodate most instructors, and I could ride in the car if an instructor wanted to show me the line at a new track. So far, I have managed to avoid scaring my instructors, and I'll try to keep doing so even with the improved safety gear.

I am looking at the Brey-Krause harness bar, which connects to the B-pillars but also has rods to bolt to the C-pillars to prevent flexing that many other harness bars suffer from.

A few pictures of the bar I am looking at:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1146449790.jpg

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1146449922.jpg

bsztanko 01-28-2013 05:29 PM

Don't use a 5 point unless you have a roll bar. Especially in a 944. The roof buckles like a beer can.

adrial 01-28-2013 05:29 PM

Have you considered the Rennline bolt in roll bar? I don't think it's a very significant $$ increase over the harness bar.

white924s 01-28-2013 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor (Post 10179286)
I am reluctant to get into cars with seats & harnesses, but no rollover protection whatsoever.

VR - if you don't mind me pushing you a bit on this, is your reluctance due to the possibility that adding harnesses without a rollbar could create a risk in a rollover situation? If so, would using the 3-pt belts instead of the harnesses be a reasonable way assuage your concerns?

If that wouldn't solve the problem, I'd be interested to learn more about why.

Thanks

pontifex4 01-28-2013 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by adrial (Post 10179332)
Have you considered the Rennline bolt in roll bar? I don't think it's a very significant $$ increase over the harness bar.

I was just going to ask this, too. Easily and non-destructively installed, and I believe they're around $650 shipped by Greyhound to your nearest depot.

Veloce Raptor 01-28-2013 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by white924s (Post 10179339)
VR - if you don't mind me pushing you a bit on this, is your reluctance due to the possibility that adding harnesses without a rollbar could create a risk in a rollover situation? If so, would using the 3-pt belts instead of the harnesses be a reasonable way assuage your concerns?

If that wouldn't solve the problem, I'd be interested to learn more about why.

Thanks

Yes that is it in a nutshell. I'd ride (depending on the driver/track/speed of run group combination) in the car as is with OEM seats and 3 point belts w/o rollover protection.