Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jack Olsen's garage (and car)

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 01:00 PM
TurboLaal
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Enjoyed the video very much, great car and great garage...
Old 01-25-2013, 01:47 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

I guess I will show my age a bit, but I recall the porschphiles 911 digest days when Jack was putting the 993 motor into that chassis. I read about the car on those digests, and occasionally saw pictures in magazines. IIRC it was in Excellence years ago, but Excellence tends to focus on the car. It was very cool to see the person responsible for that wonderful creation. I had a lot of respect for Jack before, and this video verifies what I thought.

Great work Jack!
Old 01-25-2013, 03:07 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Wow, I've been following the car and its rebuild, for some time... but didn't realize how extensive your garage is. just WOW!

-any regrets on the tile floor? anything you'd change?

(excuse me, if its been covered, but I haven't read the garage journal thread yet.... its only 140 pages...and 2781 posts )
Old 01-25-2013, 03:17 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Thanks.

The floor was a very happy accident, in retrospect. It's about to have its five-year anniversary, and I've never had to replace a tile (aside from when I installed the lift). So at 59/sf, I'm very happy with it.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:13 PM
SWK6Cup

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Jack:
simply great set-up, the car, the garage, and you came off looking very composed and passionate, not a "jerk" in any way, shape or form. We should all be so fortunate.

Van: OMG, garage, no way that space it too huge........btw: as those Andy's cars? I heard his got crushed by a tree? His read and black one.......unlucky, for sure.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:02 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Country911
Van: OMG, garage, no way that space it too huge........btw: are those Andy's cars? I heard his got crushed by a tree? His red and black one.......unlucky, for sure.
The black one is Andy's. There was damage from the tent-garage collapsing from trees falling in that list wind storm.

The red one has its own tales of woe.
Attached Images  
Old 01-26-2013, 08:31 PM
osugasman
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Inspirational.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:51 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

I'm reviving an old thread because the garage finally got a goofy new decoration -- a model.

I'm still not sure why, but Hot Rod magazine did a feature on 'Hot Girls, Great Garages,' and included my two-car garage in it. They brought the 'hot girl,' and -- because it's Hot Rod -- asked me to park the 911 somewhere else.

It's in the issue that's on newsstands now. But they've also put it online. Click on the image of the young lady helping out in the shop to go to the article:

Old 09-03-2013, 07:49 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Now I know exactly what my garage is missing: a hot girl!
Old 09-03-2013, 09:23 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 365 Posts

wow cool video
Old 09-03-2013, 11:59 PM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

The car is much older and better looking than model.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:25 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Jack,

Very nice. I have to startup the way back machine when I think back about your trials and tribulations with the car, the tracks and your escapades. Any one of them would have sidelined lesser enthusiasts. It does start me thinking about all they guys that were around back in the beginning of all this silliness (12 years? Man I'm getting old) that sort of just faded away.

Anyway nice job on the car and the shop, and well deserved accolades.

Jim
Old 09-04-2013, 03:06 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

sorry, jack, i love your blk beauty but that chic in blk vest........
Old 09-04-2013, 10:33 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 337 Posts
Default Jack Olsen's Willow Springs Video on...

You Tube. If you live in SoCal, and drive Willow Springs International (WSIR) Raceway in any capacity, race, DE, etc., Jack Olsen has made a video just for you. He demonstrates the Time Trial line around WSIR...it can be the racing line if you are out front or not driving in a pack.

See:

I view this anytime I am getting ready to drive WSIR. I pull it up on You Tube and watch it on my I-Pad while doing the Eliptical (Sp?) stair stepper at the gym. Watch it 2X and I am done!

Note, Jack has turned 1:27s in this street legal car, on NITTO NT-01 tires. This is an incredible time. Theoretically, Hoosier R6 tires could be 2 seconds faster...Jack gets more out of Nitto NT-01 than most. I am also a big fan of NT-01 tires, especially after 2 recent days at California Speedway where the car was its quickest (1:57.8), providing 100% confidence on the banking...135mph, faster for the better drivers in quicker cars. If I could pump out a 1:55, I'd be a hero, but only to me and my ego. Better line through the banking and foot to the floor 100% into, through and out of the banking. Sounds easier than it is.

I too drive the thumbs up position, and also remove the bottom seat cushion, for better car feel and more headroom.

Porschephile? I believe the Porsche AG attorney's got a Cease and Desist on the use of Porsche in this moniker...hence Rennlist...back in 2001, after we all survived Y2K!
Old 09-04-2013, 12:48 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Have said this at least couple of times already but yes indeed, cool car, cool garage which has to come from a cool guy.

Love the simplicity & lay-out of the garage, only think that doesn't look "perfect" is the space for the car width wise (work bench right side of it where the structural column is) looks pretty close but obviously it works.
I work with metal, weld etc. and dream about having enough space to be able to have proper tools as you have.
Currently struggling with a small one car garage where the big tool cart, bench, 993, spare wheels & tires, bunch of parts, Buell and mountain bike resides... Way too much stuff!

Originally Posted by JackOlsen
Thanks.

The floor was a very happy accident, in retrospect. It's about to have its five-year anniversary, and I've never had to replace a tile (aside from when I installed the lift). So at 59/sf, I'm very happy with it.
+1 I always suggest tile when people ask about garage flooring. I've had tile for 9+ years in my garage, have jacked the car countless times & rested it on jackstands (without any cushioning on the floor) and have never had any issues with it and I doubt there is easier surface to clean.

Quick Reply: Jack Olsen's garage (and car)