Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Racing & Drivers Education Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum-65/)
-   -   Trailer Awnings (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/734152-trailer-awnings.html)

24Chromium 01-03-2013 01:52 AM

Trailer Awnings

I've been researching awnings for my new trailer. I've found that most of the trailers I've seen in the paddocks have the old classic A&E Systems awnings. However, A&E Systems is no longer and the name was purchased by Dometic.

My concern is that the older A&E Systems awnings look like they are over-built, rock-solid and still going strong all these years later. The new Dometic produced units have been redesigned and don't look as robust (admittedly, this opinion is only via the info I've gleened via the web).

Has anyone purchased a Dometic unit? Or how about the other major manufacturer, Carefree?

Can you suggest a brand and model for me?

al@cpt 01-03-2013 04:01 AM

Consider Arrow Awnings:

http://www.arrowawnings.com/awnings.html

24Chromium 01-03-2013 10:30 AM

Yes, I'm familiar with the company. They make wonderful, high-quality trailer accessories like folding tables, hanging tool drawers, etc. I had assumed from the awnings I saw on their web site, that those awnings were for the professional teams. I've watched a few teams put up/take down the huge awnings that span an entire 60' trailer. It takes a crew of guys half an hour to do it. I'm looking for the speed and simplicity of a one-man job! By all means, let me know if I'm off base here.

24Chromium 01-06-2013 06:04 PM

Bump! Still in need of input on buying an awning for the trailer.

tripleblack 01-06-2013 09:22 PM

For speed & simplicity, one of these (electric) might be an option:
http://www.goldrushinc.com/accessories/accessories
No personal experience with the product but their other stuff is high quality.

winders 01-06-2013 11:53 PM

Someone here from Canada that sells trailers recommended the Dometic 2-Step model. He recommended keeping it at 19' or under so you don't need the extra center support. Also, he recommended the acrylic fabric.

Scott

rlm328 01-07-2013 12:37 AM

I am also in the hunt for an awning. My local RV dealer (PPL Homes) recommended Carefree of Colorado. It is a bit windy in this world and I wanted one that could stand up to most of the conditions down here, they come either electric or manual.

Crazy Canuck 01-07-2013 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by winders (Post 10123893)
Someone here from Canada that sells trailers recommended the Dometic 2-Step model. He recommended keeping it at 19' or under so you don't need the extra center support. Also, he recommended the acrylic fabric.

Scott

That was me! Just got back from vacation.

I'd put the same thing on a trailer now if it were for my own use. Easy to use. Much easier to use than the traditional hardware but only a few bucks more.

Get the aluminum weathershield as well. Should be available in silver, black and white hardware.

Crazy Canuck 01-07-2013 03:52 PM

The 2 step has a couple of gas struts that allow the awning to move a bit in the wind. This is important. If there is a strong sustained wind put your awning away or you'll be buying a new one.

We sell lots of awnings and fabrics after windstorms.

24Chromium 01-07-2013 04:45 PM

Can you please specify the model number? I've looked at the Dometic web site, but I'm not clear as to which model you suggest.

winders 01-07-2013 04:47 PM

http://www.dometic.com/enus/Americas...ctdataid=72960

007DT 01-07-2013 05:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I went through the due diligence of options for my 28' Tag... A good one that extends from the side will cost ~ $1600 - $2k. Problem is that they are still at risk of becoming a pretzel in bad weather... Sometimes more so than a good EZ-Up that can be anchored.

For that $$ I choose to just look at good EZ-Ups. for much less $$

However, I also looked at similar set-ups to the arrow awnings. They are very robust and very nice; but they take ~ 40 min to put up and go for $5k+
See Pic below.

24Chromium 01-07-2013 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by winders (Post 10125385)

Ah, thanks. I got caught up by their model numbers (9000, 8500, etc).

24Chromium 01-08-2013 01:39 AM

Can one person put up/take down a 10 x 15' Ez-Up by themselves?

drl 01-08-2013 01:52 AM

Mine is 10x10 or 12x12 and i have done it myself. Easy.

I didn't like the idea of an awning breaking off my trailer - would be nice to have but i skipped it.

stujelly 01-08-2013 01:55 AM

Not sure what you are really looking to do but the easiest awnings are the electric awnings by girard. I have one n my trailer and it take 1 minute to push a button to make it work. A one man job is my requirement.

38D 01-09-2013 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by tripleblack (Post 10123506)
For speed & simplicity, one of these (electric) might be an option:
http://www.goldrushinc.com/accessories/accessories
No personal experience with the product but their other stuff is high quality.

Electric is the way to go IMO. I have one on my ATC and absolutely love it. One less thing to setup/take down at the track. I'm not sure what brand my awning is to be honest - whatever ATC uses.

24Chromium 01-10-2013 03:08 PM

I've just gotta say... YouTube is awesome. I had searched on there before without success. However, my searching last night turned up quite a few excellent videos. I was able to learn that I'm going to go with the old tried & true manual awning. And the Dometic A&E 9000 is the one I want. The support legs cantilever off the side of the trailer along the bottom, however, they can be disconnected in order to have the legs stand vertically, to create a car port. Exactly what I was wishing for! And numerous how-to videos proved out how fast and easy it is to put up and take down. Both can easily be accomplished in under 3 minutes!

I have to say, none of the awning companies have an even remotely decent web site. All of them only show a tiny picture of the awning deployed. No video of how it works. No detailed high-res photos of the bits 'n pieces. Lame!

gvtesse 10-02-2013 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by 24Chromium (Post 10133287)
I've just gotta say... YouTube is awesome. I had searched on there before without success. However, my searching last night turned up quite a few excellent videos. I was able to learn that I'm going to go with the old tried & true manual awning. And the Dometic A&E 9000 is the one I want. The support legs cantilever off the side of the trailer along the bottom, however, they can be disconnected in order to have the legs stand vertically, to create a car port. Exactly what I was wishing for!

Did you end up going this route? How do you like it? Is was thinking if going the ezup route to add shade for the car, but this looks like it would be easier.

f1rocks 10-02-2013 10:01 AM

I went with a Dometic 9100, electric and love the ease of use. One person job.
Still set up the 10x20 EZ up for the car and use the trailer awning for human shade.

raspritz 10-02-2013 10:54 AM

I have both an attached awning (on my Airstream) and a freestanding awning for paddock use. The latter gets by far the greatest use. If a wind comes up quickly, any awning permanently attached to your trailer becomes an instant liability. You need to be right there to lower it immediately, or it will be gone and you will be out a lot of $$. The vast majority of awnings I see in paddocks are freestanding. Summit Quickshade is a popular model; $150 in many sporting goods stores.

gvtesse 10-02-2013 12:59 PM

thanks for the info. I do mostly see freestanding ones as well...looks like I'll go that route.

winders 10-02-2013 01:55 PM

Do yourself a favor and get a quality canopy. A $150 Quickshade is not that product. I would look at the Caravan Aluma. Yes, it is pricey....but it will last.

Scott

winders 07-17-2020 03:33 PM

@Crazy Canuck

Is Dometic still a good choice for trailer awnings? I am finally looking at buying an awning for my trailer as I plan on going to more tracks where garages are either super expensive to rent or unavailable to rent. If Dometic is still a good choice, which model as they have seemed to change over the last several years?

Or, are there better options now?

Thanks!

winders 08-02-2023 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck (Post 10125222)
That was me! Just got back from vacation.

I'd put the same thing on a trailer now if it were for my own use. Easy to use. Much easier to use than the traditional hardware but only a few bucks more.

Get the aluminum weathershield as well. Should be available in silver, black and white hardware.

What is the best awning to get now? I am finally going to install one on my 24 ft trailer.....

Dan Jacobs 08-04-2023 09:36 AM

I've owned 2 Dometic awnings I won't buy another
The engineering is shockingly bad

9114609048 08-04-2023 09:55 PM

When I ordered my trailer, I looked into awnings and tents. I decided on a premium EZ-UP tent (10x20) because it was less costly, holds up better in winds and can be moved without moving the trailer. We also use the tent at events without the trailer. I also like vertical supports over angled braces from the side of the trailer which support some awnings.
However, the first time I put the EZ UP, I thought I had made a big mistake, it was heavy and not EZ to put up, so I fabricated pads and welded on casters. It works great. Now the tent can be set up by one person, securing one corner and rolling the tent open. Once in place the casters are removed. Take down is just as EZ and the folded tent, in its protective cover rolls easilly back into the trailer
Other trailers with awnings can retract them faster, but have to do it much sooner than we do. (We use Skyvector.com radar to keep track of storms and local wind speeds and direction.)
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...c9dc3d248e.jpg

okie981 08-05-2023 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by 9114609048 (Post 18944652)
When I ordered my trailer, I looked into awnings and tents. I decided on a premium EZ-UP tent (10x20) because it was less costly, holds up better in winds and can be moved without moving the trailer. We also use the tent at events without the trailer. I also like vertical supports over angled braces from the side of the trailer which support some awnings.
However, the first time I put the EZ UP, I thought I had made a big mistake, it was heavy and not EZ to put up, so I fabricated pads and welded on casters. It works great. Now the tent can be set up by one person, securing one corner and rolling the tent open. Once in place the casters are removed. Take down is just as EZ and the folded tent, in its protective cover rolls easilly back into the trailer
Other trailers with awnings can retract them faster, but have to do it much sooner than we do. (We use Skyvector.com radar to keep track of storms and local wind speeds and direction.)
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...c9dc3d248e.jpg

Great tip. I so far balked at adding an awning to the side of my 24' Intech and had instead decided I would buy an EZ UP 10'x20' canopy, but haven't done so yet.