Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Time to Paint

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 10:47 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm thinking that I'll never do this again, so I don't want to buy a huge expensive compressor. Worth it anyway? What'd you pay for that behemoth, Gary?

And you guys wouldn't likely know it, but we've come a long way, Pontiflex. Hope you're comfy now.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:04 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by gums
I haven't even gotten to painting. It's the sanding that's a pain. Messed up my garage something awful. And now I'm looking for a better compressor.
Should've gone skiing....
Just wait till you start shooting some primer to find those lows and highs.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:17 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

If it gets ridiculous I'm just going to trailer it to Maaco.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:23 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

If it gets ridiculous I'm just going to trailer it to Maaco.
Wait till you go to buy the paints! Epoxy primer, high build primer, sealer, and all the reducers and hardeners... And do you have a good HVLP gun?

Got it from Northern Tool, $1200 w/free shipping, it's a commercial version. Add to that a piping/filter/regulator kit, a good 50' hose and reel, and you have a system! Was close to $2.5K by the time I was done, including a 1/2" IR impact gun and a small cutoff tool.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:26 AM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm thinking that I'll never do this again, so I don't want to buy a huge expensive compressor. Worth it anyway? What'd you pay for that behemoth, Gary?

And you guys wouldn't likely know it, but we've come a long way, Pontiflex. Hope you're comfy now.
You might consider renting some cylinders of compressed air, and a regulator. I did that when I was in grad school (1999-2000) to get my GTO started. Worked like a charm. I now have an 80 gallon, 2-stage compressor for my various needs.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:44 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

I consider buying and owning tools as I go along to be part of this hobby as I like to tinker around. Having the right tool for the right job makes it a LOT less tedious to accomplish.. but I do tend to overkill a bit.
Attached Images  
Old 12-28-2012, 09:15 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

I'm not doing the painting, just the prep. When I get it close, it's going out.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:48 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

I'm not doing the painting, just the prep. When I get it close, it's going out.
FYI - A lot of paint shops will want to redo everything if they didn't do the prep as what is underneath is more important than the paint itself and they have to stand behind the results. Just be sure to talk to your intended painter (bet you already did) to avoid doing a lot of work for nada..
Old 12-28-2012, 10:21 AM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Frank,

What Gary says. I prepped a bumper and before doing it spoke to the shop. They planned to go over it anyways, but it did reduce the cost a bit. We have a local Maaco dealer that is into street rods and if requested does upper level work with a two stage process. Def do two stage for durability. The work was actually very good and they took the time to get the primer on and filled any defects in the fiber glass fender parts. Not worth doing yourself when you add up the material and tools. You really need a filtered paint booth with heat. ( I have an nice HVLP sprayer ).
Old 12-28-2012, 11:43 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Bob - I prefer single stage for a track car as it's much easier to do spot repairs (and cheaper). Not that I need to ever repair anything!
Old 12-28-2012, 12:57 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

It's a considerable improvement, as far as my chewing is concerned! I was a little overdue.

Regarding the big compressor, I think of mine as a lifetime investment (every part is user-serviceable except the motor) and all that air makes removing wheels, inflating tires, running a grinder or cutoff wheel or undoing old bolts a lot more enjoyable: you never seem to run out of power at the tool. I got mine secondhand locally for $600, and I use it for something pretty well every time I'm in the shop.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:03 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Bob - I prefer single stage for a track car as it's much easier to do spot repairs (and cheaper). Not that I need to ever repair anything!
Lighter too
Old 12-28-2012, 01:11 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

I hear you Gary, but if you don't use some sort of clear bra protection on the front it degrades the nose pretty fast with stone chips.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:36 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

That's Patina...

One thing I do know, I tried using cheap (Kirker) paint on a section of my front bumper and I could not believe how fast it degraded compared to the "brand name", older paint right next to it!
Old 12-28-2012, 02:38 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

You guys may well be saving my sanity! Made big progress this morning, but if it's for naught I'm ready to trailer up.
Durability is the reason I'm changing my plans on the color scheme. I was really interested to do an Al Holbert retro theme, but now I'm seeing pictures of a few cars at season's end and it looks like the darker cars show the wear more. I'm currently thinking that a nice silver will age better instead.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: A Time to Paint