Sponsored by:

Sebring Turn 17

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 12:07 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
It would be really cool to have included VERY specific landmarks, high-medium and low sight line suggestions, proximity-to-curbing references, walls, poles, PA speakers, signs, pavement patches or painted lines on course for reference.

The bottom is the section on T17, starts out by saying "I want first to say that there is no perfect line through T17..."
David Murry has one of the most detailed corner by corner presentations on Sebring (and turn 17....) that I have ever seen. He's fanatical about little spots on the track....
Old 01-23-2013, 09:20 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Peter, I think that is one of the greatest benefits of attending a David Murry Track Day.

David's "virtual track walk" at the end of the day in the classroom is a bedrock of highly specific knowledge required by ANY driver who doesn't want to dither, hesitate or even allow subconsciously any question about where they want to go next!

I don't get tired when my friends, clients and fellow racers tease me about "which blade of grass do you turn, again?" It is with THIS level of detail that drivers begin to really be able to commit, without shouldering more risk...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-23-2013, 02:12 PM
Vincent C.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

go to gulf performance on facebook....check out the gt3 at sebring video....shows a nice way around sebring.....vinnie....then you can "like" the site for me.....vinnie
Old 04-02-2014, 10:48 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

Interesting short clip on turn 17

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-vide...?src=soc_fcbks
Old 04-02-2014, 11:08 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Bravo, Henrique!

He's way too diplomatic to say otherwise (hence, "there is no one line..."), but WATCH what he DOES!

His demonstrated entry (discipline to drive deeper before coming away from the left edge of the road, proximity and angle past the worker station, unwavering ray of travel to the end of the braking zone, DEEPER and more acute turn to get the turning moment DONE, his attitude and placement under the bridge, widest possible exit) is the BEST PATH through THAT corner...
Old 04-02-2014, 11:59 AM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bravo, Henrique!

He's way too diplomatic to say otherwise (hence, "there is no one line..."), but WATCH what he DOES!

His demonstrated entry (discipline to drive deeper before coming away from the left edge of the road, proximity and angle past the worker station, unwavering ray of travel to the end of the braking zone, DEEPER and more acute turn to get the turning moment DONE, his attitude and placement under the bridge, widest possible exit) is the BEST PATH through THAT corner...
yes, that was excellent!
Old 04-02-2014, 01:41 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Cool footage. Now, is it just me, or doesn't it sound stupid to call turns by number? I mean, obviously turn 2 is followed by turn 3, which then leads to turn 4....

This turn is known as Sunset Bend, and legendary tracks name their corners. Let's keep that tradition alive.
(I know you'll agree, Peter)

Last edited by gums; 04-02-2014 at 02:12 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:14 PM
mkd944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bravo, Henrique!

Peter,

I agree that there is a BEST PATH and your description matches with what I try to do. But finding that BEST PATH, for me, is like the search for the Holy Grail. And Henrique may be just being diplomatic but I think there is also truth in his words. Even Henrique took more than one line through the turn which can be seen in the video. A mid-corner reference point that I use is the black tar patch. In my Miata, it is the point where I can go back to full throttle since it takes awhile for all of the horses to wake up. It also helps me gauge where to place my car. Note that in the video, Henrique's line is fairly consistent for the two in-car shots. Note where his car is placed in relation to the tar patch is at :23 in the video and also at 2:19. Then, notice at :47 from outside the car how much different that relationship is. In the in-car shots, he runs just to the left of the patch. In the outside shot, his car is 3 or more car-widths left of the patch. Also note the wide left arcing entry at :46 as opposed to the unwavering ray.

Just as an FYI for those that used the cone on the bridge as a reference, it is no longer there. I am not sure how long it has been gone since it was not something I used regularly because it was so high in the air. But, there is now a blue dot painted on the bridge beam that makes a good reference point and it is much lower than the cone was and is easier to pick up.

I will keep seeking the Holy Grail of a perfect Turn 17, uh, I mean Sunset Bend.

Drive safe,
Mike
Old 04-02-2014, 11:25 PM
mkd944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just played the video again and noticed that the blue dot I talked about in my previous post can be seen if you freeze the video at 2:13.

Mike
Old 04-07-2014, 06:57 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

I hired Chris Hall yesterday to help me set up my suspension for Sebring. Here are a couple of his laps which might be of interest in terms of his line through 17

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eI2...ature=youtu.be
Old 04-07-2014, 07:16 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 755 Posts

Yep. As some of us have advocated, he gets the majority of his rotation done prior to going under the bridge...then he is able to gradually release steering as he throttles up from there.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:23 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

He did a few laps and recognized that the rear needed to be softer. He came in fixed that went back out and promptly shaved time. He said that one change allowed him to get back on power sooner in 1 and 17. Pretty cool how you pros have such good butt meters.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:36 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Our goal should be to help you develop YOURS, Mark!
Old 04-07-2014, 09:30 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 755 Posts

Our goal should be to help you develop YOURS, Mark!
+1
Old 04-14-2014, 04:24 AM
KNK123
Rennlist Member

Location: Land of Fruits and Nuts, but the weather is perfect.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have found these two videos to be helpful:

David Murry:

Sean Edwards:

RIP.

Quick Reply: Sebring Turn 17