Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Racing & Drivers Education Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum-65/)
-   -   Lightweight Nomex shirts and shorts (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/730618-lightweight-nomex-shirts-and-shorts.html)

Qwickrick 12-08-2012 03:18 PM

Lightweight Nomex shirts and shorts

Who makes the lightest weight Nomex shift and shorts? I'm going to Sebring for the Club Race and my present nomex is way too warm.

Thanks

Qwickrick 12-11-2012 08:21 AM

No opinions?

911Königin 12-11-2012 10:42 AM

Do they make them for women, or do I just wear the men's?

Circuit Motorsports 12-11-2012 10:47 AM

For women there is Lady Eagle a subset of Design 500 based in Seattle.

As for lightweight? Not really a conversation I've ever had. Underwear was pretty much underwear. The snugger fitting, the cooler it's felt IMO.

Qwickrick 12-11-2012 04:59 PM

Any nomex recommendations then?

Circuit Motorsports 12-11-2012 05:05 PM

I've had good luck with all of the brands I've owned, sparco puma and oakley. The ones I have owned the longest are from PUMA and are a little bit softer, possibly from age more than anything. All show no signs of imminent destruction. Sizing varies a lot from brand to brand so I'd check them out in real life.

MRW 12-11-2012 07:51 PM

The Sparco X-Cool stuff is really nice, but muy expensive. Less woolly-feeling, lighter, I have both t-shirts and balaclavas. I'd hate to have to replace them every year, though.

SWK6Cup 12-11-2012 08:19 PM

Good luck in Sebring, Rick.

Qwickrick 12-12-2012 12:59 PM

Is the Sparco X-cool the same as their "ICE" line?

Any recommendations where to buy Sparco?

Rick

Tim Webb 12-12-2012 01:03 PM

Stand21 Heat Stress undies are the way to go. Unbelievable difference.

MRW 12-12-2012 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Qwickrick (Post 10066822)
Is the Sparco X-cool the same as their "ICE" line?

Any recommendations where to buy Sparco?

Rick

I believe so. I buy it at Northstar Motorsports. They've got a good website, and (I think) a PCA discount.

cobrien 12-12-2012 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Tim Webb (Post 10066833)
Stand21 Heat Stress undies are the way to go. Unbelievable difference.

Yep...totally agree. I'd been using Sparco, but the Stand21 stuff is much lighter and helps keep you cooler.

dew-e 12-12-2012 02:45 PM

I love my drifire t-shirts and underwear. The lightweight t-shirts are the most comfortable fire resistant shirts I've tried, but I have never tried the stand21 lightweight garments.

The last time I looked, the drifire has a slighter lower FR rating than the carbon-x gear, but if you have a quality three layer suit, the slightly different rating for an undershirt shouldn't matter, and the drifire is much much cheaper and I find it more comfortable than carbon-x.

The shoulder seams are also off shoulder intended to military guys or firefighters wearing backpacks, which is very comfortable with a hans.

I also use their longsleeve shirts while instructing in street cars.

mrbill_fl 12-12-2012 03:37 PM

its not carbon x ?

*(but that is not exactly nomex)

dew-e 12-12-2012 04:22 PM

That is the only downside to it. Since it is not 'made for' racers, they don't have any SFI/FIA ratings. However, they do have ARC, NFPA, ANSI, and ASTM requirements that fire/electrical/military work requires for flame resistant clothing.

Comes down to your regulations. If you are required to wear nomex undergarments, or SFI/FIA these won't work. If you are only required to have two or three layers of nomex(your suit), and wear undergarments for extra protection and moisture control, I think this is some of the best stuff on the market for price/comfort.