Sponsored by:

Seeking Advice for First Data Acquisition System

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 11:49 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 939 Likes on 544 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I'll look at the option in RS2, last I read they were going to offer that in "the near future"... if I get it to work i'll let you know!
This is the one critical feature that the SoloDL/Smartycam does not have right now, that vbox does, and I wish I knew it before going AIM. I've been told this will be working in RS3.

The reason this is so important to me is that when you are looking at a segment analysis of a session to find the best corner strategy, especially if you have been experimenting, it is very difficult to find in video where that particular fast corner was or to compare it side by side with another lap. Seeing the data on a position graph is one thing, seeing the video with steering and brake pressure overlayed in real time with the data on the position graph is a real learning tool.

For me it means that the smarty cam is little more than a gopro with data on it - i.e not much use in the field (where I have very little time running around with students) except to play back a good spin. And the video is much lower quality to boot than the gopro.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:13 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Smarty Manager will allow you to watch two videos, synced to the same time, side by side. Open Smarty Manager, then select movies, select your first movie, then second, get them synched, then choosing to link the first to the second or the second to the first.

Also, it's easy to find the fastest corner video. Look at what session and lap you find is your best in teh data. Then open the video for that session, go the lap and then the corner and your there. The lap data in the video is the same as the data, so it's all the same and easy to find.

Also, if you want good data for comparing corner strategies, you should do at least 3-4 of the same in a row to have a decent sample, not just one try.
Old 12-03-2014, 01:59 AM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

Can we update this for 2014?

Want data acquisition and ability to overlay video

Assume solo DL + camera is one option what are the others?

Thanks
Old 12-03-2014, 07:07 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

Interesting as always Peter

Just put a pro version vbox in Steve cup last night.....its addressed most / all of my problems I've been having with connections on the lite kit...they come loose. Surprised how little we got off the can in a cup ( wish it had brake pressure, steering angle)

Vvbox is still my favorite thou....the predictive display is a great tool when sharing the car...like I do with Ron

Complaints
It always uses the grand course at vir, relating in a wrong location of start finish....and video is already written so it's not movable in the video
Savannah Harbor isn't in the system
Old 12-03-2014, 07:46 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
Interesting as always Peter

Just put a pro version vbox in Steve cup last night.....its addressed most / all of my problems I've been having with connections on the lite kit...they come loose. Surprised how little we got off the can in a cup ( wish it had brake pressure, steering angle)

Vvbox is still my favorite thou....the predictive display is a great tool when sharing the car...like I do with Ron

Complaints
It always uses the grand course at vir, relating in a wrong location of start finish....and video is already written so it's not movable in the video

Savannah Harbor isn't in the system
Randy, the latest version of Circuit Tools has the right map and coordinates for VIR and a few others. Also, you can make start/finish coordinates for Hutchinson and load them before you get there. VBOX has a good video of using Google Earth to do just that.

Yep, Cup car CAN is limited, which is a pain, but surmountable in both systems (AiM and VBOX).

It's a great system, I am using it this weekend where you are! See you soon!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-03-2014, 10:19 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by audipwr1
Can we update this for 2014?

Want data acquisition and ability to overlay video

Assume solo DL + camera is one option what are the others?

Thanks
Race Keeper has finally started to ship their HD systems. AiM has released the Smartycam HD and Smartycam HD GP. Their may be more developments, but they won't be announced for a week when everyone is at PRI.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:29 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Race Keeper has finally started to ship their HD systems. AiM has released the Smartycam HD and Smartycam HD GP. Their may be more developments, but they won't be announced for a week when everyone is at PRI.
The HDX2 is huge. And so are the cameras. Another option is the new VVBOX HD this spring, two cameras with data overlay onto the video...
Old 12-03-2014, 12:34 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

The aim cameras are wicked expensive I don't get it

Solo DL box isn't bad, but having to drop another grand for video overlay seems crazy to me
Old 12-03-2014, 12:55 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Solo DL box isn't bad, but having to drop another grand for video overlay seems crazy to me
GoPro 3-400 bucks.

no GPS, no connectivity, minimal support, no realtime data overlay

SmartyCam 1000-1100

GPS, connects directly to data systems, best support in the business, realtime data overlay.
Old 12-03-2014, 12:56 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
GoPro 3-400 bucks. no GPS, no connectivity, minimal support, no realtime data overlay SmartyCam 1000-1100 GPS, connects directly to data systems, best support in the business, realtime data overlay.
Solo DL already connects to data system, has gps

That's all overlap one is paying twice for
Old 12-03-2014, 01:01 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

The reason why is because it IS a computer...

It's got a CPU, it's own operating system and is able to encode the data stream onto 720P real time so you pull the card and play it.

Only other system that does that (and right now only in 480, standard definition) is Video VBOX.

All the others, including the current VBOX HD and Race-Keeper, put the information on the video using software AFTER the fact.

How much is your time worth? <grin>
Old 12-03-2014, 01:04 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I know for me (and a lot of others) it only took one weekend of watching 20 minutes of driving, 3 hours of a hood, and then a dead battery with a GoPro (which is $400 now). The price of the SC HD is not bad when you consider what it does - realtime writing of data on a HD video, waterproof, and reliable.
Old 12-03-2014, 01:35 PM
pmason
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes but I would agree if you have already the Solo or MXL or EVOx and you want to add a camera it is expensive. If they had two options on the camera, one with GPS and one without it would be better.
Old 12-03-2014, 01:35 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

No one has mentioned quality of the SC HD camera and the lens. The camera body is machined aluminum. The lens is designed around a very bumpy racing environment. Way ahead of Go Pro in that department.
Old 12-03-2014, 02:21 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

When you get your new SCHD, if you notice what appears to be a foggy lens (mine in the upper right quadrant) and if its not easy to clean off, get in touch with AiM soon (during the warranty period).
I bought mine in the late winter, first used it in April and saw the foggy-ness. Figuring it just needed a cleaning, I didn't pay too much attention.
At the end of the season, I removed the camera and sent it into AiM who needed to do a lens replacement and since I was well past the 90 day warranty, had to pay for it.
I questioned the decision to not replace it under warranty (heck, I have video from April showing the blurring if we need proof). I didn't push too hard as I was busy at the time, but I'm somewhat unhappy about the decision.
My fault, as I could have removed the camera during the season, shipped it down and gotten it back in between events, but still...I've been a pretty good customer.
I really like the products and the support and service of the AiM folks and Roger's training, so I'll chalk this up to experience. But if you have a warranty issue, don't let too much time go by.

Quick Reply: Seeking Advice for First Data Acquisition System