Old 10-26-2012, 06:06 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 608 Likes on 271 Posts
Default BGB MOTORSPORTS AND PORSCHE CAYMAN RETURN TO DAYTONA …AGAIN

BGB MOTORSPORTS AND PORSCHE CAYMAN RETURN TO DAYTONA …AGAIN

TEAM WILL RUN THE 2013 ROLEX 24 HOURS OF DAYTONA IN NEW PURPOSE BUILT PORSCHE CAYMAN GX.R

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
October 26, 2012 (Ormond Beach, FL) – On the heels of a recent announcement earlier this week by the Grand American Road Racing Association, BGB Motorsports announced their intention to once again field a Porsche Cayman built with the purpose of running in Grand-Am endurance competition; while the seemingly underpowered, 3.4 liter Porsche Cayman S proved to be reliable, it didn’t compete well in GS class competition against larger powered V8 muscle from Chevy, Ford and BMW. During the 2011 season, excellent race Strategy, pit stops and Guy Cosmo were required for the little car to finish in the top-10 respectably, every single time.

Fans of the mid-engine Porsche sport coupe will be able to witness the little Cayman make Porsche history and contest the prestigious 51st running of the Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona for the first time ever. Most importantly though, Cayman history will be made also as the car is finally permitted to receive the only thing it ever really needed, and that’s an engine from its big brother the 911.

On Tuesday Grand-Am announced 13 models eligible to compete in their newest class, Rolex GX; earlier this year, GRAND-AM announced the new class to allow for cars and technologies currently not involved in the Rolex Series, that will debut in the 2013 Rolex 24 At Daytona. Eligible cars already announced for the class were the Lotus Evora GX, Porsche Cayman, and Mazda with the Skyactiv-D turbo diesel in a model to be determined. GRAND-AM expanded that list to 13 models from 12 different manufacturers, adding the Audi TT, BMW 1 Series, Chevrolet Cruze, Ford Focus (four door), Hyundai Genesis, Subaru BRZ, Scion FR-S, Nissan 370Z or Altima, and Volkswagen EOS.

While the new GX class was first conceived to provide a home for newer technology that might be a bit premature for conventional Grand-Am endurance use, it provides a home for cars that might not fit in anywhere else or might not be allowed to run anywhere else.

“Before people start asking us if we have lost our minds, we are bringing the Cayman back because someone finally created a home for the car to race with an engine that every Porsche fan on this continent wishes it received from the factory. We want to take the trusty Direct Fuel Injection 911 GTS engine that gave us such success this year and drop it in the Cayman like we have done for half a dozen customers across the U.S. People love these cars and we have enough faith in this brand that we can build an economically priced GT car that is up to the task of running 24 hours AND driving to Starbucks afterwards at 4pm Sunday with its license plate on if it had to.”

BGB Motorsports is an ambitious, professional motorsports business. The team's facility is located less than 15 miles from Daytona International Speedway and the headquarters for the Grand American Road Racing Association. The team operates as a customer oriented business, building and supporting cars under the Grand American Road Racing, Porsche Club of America and Sports Car Club of America sanctioning bodies. During 2012 BGB Porsche teams Rum Bum Racing and BGB Motorsports combined to bring home the Drivers, Team and Manufacturer’s Championship for Porsche for the first time since 2004. Porsche won 5 races in 2012 in the hands of customer owned and operated cars. The BGB team operates a Porsche retail service business focusing on parts developed by them for racing and resale for Porsche 911 and Cayman customers worldwide. For more information, visit www.bgbmotorsports.com.

Photo Courtesy of Margaret Gerard:

2011 Porsche Cayman Testing at Daytona – This photo marks the last time BGB and the Cayman went to Daytona together.

Last edited by BGB Motorsports; 10-27-2012 at 11:11 AM.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:18 PM
kcpaz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW!!!
Old 10-26-2012, 06:25 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Cool!
Old 10-26-2012, 07:30 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 82 Posts

Nice, best of luck John in 2013.

I hope to make it down to the 24 again this year. Last year was my first time there and it was a blast...
Old 10-27-2012, 12:46 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera
Nice, best of luck John in 2013.

I hope to make it down to the 24 again this year. Last year was my first time there and it was a blast...
Certainly please stop by the garages. We always have time for people that follow us on Rennlist. We don't have many fans so we like to welcome them! Cheers.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:23 PM
Trj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Awesome. Cant wait to come see you guys race the cayman again!
Old 10-27-2012, 04:27 PM
Leica356
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In light of recent announcements this is GREAT news!!! I was on the fence as to weather I was going to the 24 or not but will definitely go now. Would be cool if you could also use the 997 rear end as that would be the ultimate Cayman Outlaw!

Good Luck with testing!
Old 10-29-2012, 09:34 AM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Great to hear John.
Any seats available next season?
Old 10-29-2012, 01:05 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Leica356
In light of recent announcements this is GREAT news!!! I was on the fence as to weather I was going to the 24 or not but will definitely go now. Would be cool if you could also use the 997 rear end as that would be the ultimate Cayman Outlaw!

Good Luck with testing!
Oddly enough, I get shot down every time I inquire about this. They keep seeing we'll just build a little baby DP if allowed to.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:33 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Sweet
Old 11-01-2012, 06:55 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Great news!
Old 11-02-2012, 02:10 AM
Turn3 Autosport