Sponsored by:

Why?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 09:33 PM
9.5 Degrees
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
/Also, if you haven't heard, wearing a HANS device in a car with no roll over protection, i.e. roll bar or cage, can be hazardous to your health. The HANS and presumably 5 or 6 pt. harness is meant to keep you up right. If you're involved in a roll over and the roof collapses on you, that's not where you want our head and neck to be. You may actually be saver in a 3 pt belt without the HANS where your upper torso can flex down and to the sides.

The aforementioned refers to YOU being an instructor in the right seat. The older I get the more I think it's crazy getting into a high powered car with someone I've never met before and going around a track at triple digits. You can have the best safety equipment in the world, the fact of the matter is that instruction of others in the same car is "CRAZY"!!!!
Hopefully I won't get flamed for this, but I did not know this, so I researched it and found out it is true. Why isn't the fact that no roll over protection and wearing a hans with harness is actually less safe than a 3 point stock belt? Something to remember for sure.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:40 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,872 Likes on 1,709 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc Shaw
Ha! Decaf is for wimps.

Sorry, the message addressed to me by name that included a reply to one of my previous posts with YOU in all capitals threw me off and made me think that perhaps some of your comments were directed at me. Apparently my bad.

Marc
No worries, there seems to be something lost in translation in words in the written form when trying to get through a quick thought.

The first question was directed to you as how he drove.

The second part was something for the entire board as I always thought having a HANS was safer than not, but about a year ago I learned of actually having a HANS in a car with no roll bar or cage is more dangerous. My point was to ALL the instructors out there to consider not wearing a HANS in a car without a roll bar or cage as it is safer in the even of a roll over. The thing you have to weigh is it isn't safer if you go into a wall and there is where the compromise comes in. A particular track out west called Buttonwillow comes to mind. I've seen 5 roll overs there, but there is just one wall along the pit straight, therefore based on odds, I would not wear a HANS without a roll bar at that track, but probably wear one at Auto Club Speedway as there are walls everywhere.

The part about me getting older and thinking I must be crazy to get into a high HP car with someone I never met before still stands.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:21 AM
morsini
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seams to me that a Hanns is pretty usless unless it's held in place by the sholder belts.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:47 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,069 Likes on 1,181 Posts

I personally know people with the attitude: "I can drive 100mph on the street without all this safety gear, why do I need it on the track?".

Usually the same class of people that think "lunch time touring" is a race, brag about how they passed a Ferrari F40.

I guess I could maybe understand his comments if these were reconnaissance laps, meaning slow going just to show someone the lines, corner workers etc..... I've attendted a few DE's that do this first thing in the morning, all cars - top speed 55 etc.. - helmets not required.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:04 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by morsini
It seams to me that a Hanns is pretty usless unless it's held in place by the sholder belts.
it is true but even more - HANS helps most in a case of a direct frontal hit. it is exactly what i tried to ask about here as you most likely will have a side or angle impact after a spin and in a case if you do not have a containment seat like recaro pro racer hans
http://www.recaro-automotive.com/us/...-hansr-xl.html
you still may get a severe neck injury from a sideway bounce. and it seems there are no real solutions to that problem other than a combination of a right seat and HANS. at least i have not heard of any.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:26 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by utkinpol
you still may get a severe neck injury from a sideway bounce. and it seems there are no real solutions to that problem other than a combination of a right seat and HANS. at least i have not heard of any.
Lateral impact into a wall or guard rail, barrel rolls, will kill you dead from a broken neck- HANS is of little or zero protection. Protection is only 15 degrees either side of center.

Lateral protection when a net/winged seat is not possible-
Safety Solutions Hybrid Pro
Issac Device

I have come to have the personal opinion that added-on "safety protection" will usually compromise safety in a street car. Sport bucket seats and a three point belt may/will be/can be safer depending upon both the skill of the installer (of any add-on equipment) and the nature of the crash. Modern cars provide a system that works in synergy in a wide range of possible impact scenarios.

I've seen enough f*cked up installed harnesses in street cars (and some so-called race cars) that I dread seeing one to right seat in.

A well designed sport bucket seat as is available in newer Porsche's and a three-point belt or a 100% track only car with a professionally, correctly installed safety system are my opinion of the only way to go. One or the other, no middle ground.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:24 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

what do you mean by 'most right seats'? could you pls tell more?
i saw one pretty close but never tried it on. does it require to replace backrest of the seat with a special insert?

as of dedicated race car comment - it is a best way to go, but, it requires much more than just a car. for now i have to use what i got and it is plenty enough.
Marc is correct, if you are in a student car a R3 (or similar) is about the only option.

you don't need anything special.

I do often wear a torso strap around my chest and the seat back, just to help my back muscles, in a 3 point restraint. (the plastic buckle would break in any real impact).

the R3 only requires you add D rings to the helmet. its a little uncomfortable but you get use to it quick, and it does limit your head rotation (leaving pit, pit line, etc).

I usually put it on before entering car. where I use to put my helmet on in the car, so its also harder to find my belts.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:32 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mrbillfll
Marc is correct, if you are in a student car a R3 (or similar) is about the only option.

the R3 only requires you add D rings to the helmet. its a little uncomfortable but you get use to it quick, and it does limit your head rotation (leaving pit, pit line, etc).
Do you use the supplied foam insert when you use your R3? If you don't, what happens to your spine if the car gets backed into a wall at speed?

If you do use the insert, have you ever tried it (the R3 system) in a car with the Porsche OE Sport Buckets? Because I found it impossible from a comfort standpoint and it shoved my upper body out of the "cocoon" of the seat rendering the side bolstering useless and lessened my overall safety.

The reason I ask is because I found the R3 to be yet another compromised "solution" unless used with a deeply padded, soft seat or a seat that has a portion cut out to accommodate it.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:44 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 9.5 Degrees
Hopefully I won't get flamed for this, but I did not know this, so I researched it and found out it is true. Why isn't the fact that no roll over protection and wearing a hans with harness is actually less safe than a 3 point stock belt? Something to remember for sure.
Can you point me to the information you found on this?
Old 10-12-2012, 05:54 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by savyboy
I have come to have the personal opinion that added-on "safety protection" will usually compromise safety in a street car. Sport bucket seats and a three point belt may/will be/can be safer depending upon both the skill of the installer (of any add-on equipment) and the nature of the crash.
i came to same opinion, pretty much. i do not see an aftermerket recaro seat and a harness i use as an added safety, it is an exact opposite compared to stock seat with curtain airbags and stock 3pt belt. to get aftermarket seat work in a 997 car you got to turn off all stock weight sensors, i do not even know anymore if airbags will deploy on a street and it is plain bad.

well, that is why people do build race cars with full cages, fire suppression and proper containment seats. hopefully i will get that done next season, will see.

ps. i recently saw a really well wrecked gt3 rs car after it flew up 7ft and then rolled into wall. it is a race car so it had full solid cage. with typical rollbar driver would be obliterated as whole front of the car outside of cage got, well, severely modified. so i do not think it does really matter if you got rollbar or harness bar like my BK - you got to have solid bar and enforcement of front pillars so survive such a roll. anyway, stupid topic, heck with it.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:12 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

actually, can anybody explain why this product costs $1k
http://www.usracegear.com/product/SS-SAF.HR.50

and this one costs $595?
http://www.usracegear.com/product/SS-ProRa

is it same stuff or not?
Old 10-12-2012, 06:54 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

actually, can anybody explain why this product costs $1k
http://www.usracegear.com/product/SS-SAF.HR.50

and this one costs $595?
http://www.usracegear.com/product/SS-ProRa

is it same stuff or not?
The expensive ones are carbon fiber. The 'rage' models are not. From what I can tell, the protection afforded is the same. One just weighs slightly more and isn't made of fancy stuff.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:49 PM
KRA993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep I would have had the same initial reaction you did but I wouldn't give it too much thought.

I doubt it had anything really to do with your safety equipment. I think he probably thought you wanted to learn how to drive flat out.

I would chalk it up to mistaken identity.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:46 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by KRA993tt
I think he probably thought you wanted to learn how to drive flat out.
But that's how I drive. Flat out.

Marc
Old 10-12-2012, 11:28 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
Do you use the supplied foam insert when you use your R3? If you don't, what happens to your spine if the car gets backed into a wall at speed?

If you do use the insert, have you ever tried it (the R3 system) in a car with the Porsche OE Sport Buckets? Because I found it impossible from a comfort standpoint and it shoved my upper body out of the "cocoon" of the seat rendering the side bolstering useless and lessened my overall safety.

The reason I ask is because I found the R3 to be yet another compromised "solution" unless used with a deeply padded, soft seat or a seat that has a portion cut out to accommodate it.
no I never used the foam insert. maybe if I had an aluminum seat. (I have a sparco)
I'm used to the back piece now, at first it bothered me a bit. kinda like getting used to a helmet and suit. but once I'm on track don't feel it.

personally, I think the hans is superior, but the R3 is very close. and works in all cars... and since I spend a bit of time in various right seats, it made sense.

Quick Reply: Why?