Sponsored by:

Dedicated track car investment

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 09:05 PM
vtwin996
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dedicated track car investment

Thought about selling my gt3 and buying a 993 for the street. My wife or I can drive it, I can take my son with me, etc. then also picking up a dedicated track car for safety, financial and learning curve reasons. I know the 6gt3s are cheaper now and it's a highly capable car. Walking away from the car is real money to me. DE insurance seems pricey. I also wonder if I will someday regret selling the car. I only was able to track a few times this year due to some life changes but plan on doing a lot more next year. Thoughts? Perhaps I am over thinking it and should just drive my car and add DE cost to the cost of playing.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:24 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dedicated track car investment. Ha ha ha ha. Well, lets set you straight right now - A track car is a money pit not an investment. But, they are fun and addictive.
Don't buy a car you cannot kiss off and move on. If I were looking, I would buy a car with a Race Log Book - just in case. It will have safety equipment already installed, capable suspension and likely good maintenance records.
The advantage of a dedicated car is safety. You will have seats, harnesses, cage, nets, etc. The track is a very slippery slope. You may want to take a different approach while there is still time.
Attached Images  

Last edited by paradisenb; 10-06-2012 at 09:25 PM. Reason: may want
Old 10-06-2012, 09:55 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Plus 1 on the need to move away from any thoughts about this being an investment. Perhaps an investment in personal pleasure and that's it. It's expensive because it's worth it.....
Old 10-06-2012, 10:03 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

One advantage to a ded track car is that nicks and dings don't devalue it like they would to a street car.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:20 AM
996_C4S
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 93 FireHawk 968
Plus 1 on the need to move away from any thoughts about this being an investment. Perhaps an investment in personal pleasure and that's it. It's expensive because it's worth it.....
It's an investment in your own quality of life but the money you spend is sunk, pure and simple. Like the joke says -- How do you make a small fortune in racing? Start with a large fortune.

And yes - it is a VERY slippery slope. But a wholly rewarding slope.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:51 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Buy a SpecBox or Spec996 for track use and don't add up the receipts.

Marc
Old 10-08-2012, 02:38 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Don't think too much and enjoy driving your car.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:42 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 491 Posts

The "cheapest" way to get into a dedicated track car is a SpecBoxster but keep in mind that any dedicated track car requires a trailer, a tow vehicle, an abundance of track tires, .... (I hope you get the picture). The SpecBox would also allow you to get into Club Racing one day without having to buy another car.

Here is my story: A slippery slope

No joke, shi$$ happens at the track (whether DE or Racing) and threads like THIS remind me that you should not compromise on safety equipment.

Quick Reply: Dedicated track car investment