Antigravity batteries???

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 01:18 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Antigravity batteries???

http://antigravitybatteries.com/

Has anyone ran these in their racer? They are silly light.....720CCA at 5lbs.....quite impressive....the prices aren't all that bad either.....considering how light they are....
Old 09-24-2012, 01:19 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What it doesn't mention (specifically) is that your alternator will most likely charge it too fast / with too many amps. That will ruin the battery. You will have to change some things to make it compatible. I have the Shorai Lithium. 550 cca. I have not used it yet, but this is in the manual. Pay attention to it.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:51 AM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by 95ONE
What it doesn't mention (specifically) is that your alternator will most likely charge it too fast / with too many amps. That will ruin the battery. You will have to change some things to make it compatible. I have the Shorai Lithium. 550 cca. I have not used it yet, but this is in the manual. Pay attention to it.
thats quite interesting...... I think I only have a 90amp ALT....but still.....
Old 09-26-2012, 12:55 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

charging works by voltage drop. lithium batteries have a different charge requirement. they are extremely voltage restrictive and can be damaged if over charged due to voltage , not current. (well current too, but thats a different type of damage)
Old 11-16-2014, 10:28 PM
jasebird
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have one for sale if interested
Old 11-17-2014, 06:04 AM
Geneman
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 98 Posts

mine lasted less than 6 months... silly light but silly expensive,... and the charging issue is real as noted above...
Old 11-17-2014, 01:26 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Geneman
mine lasted less than 6 months... silly light but silly expensive,... and the charging issue is real as noted above...
im curious, what battery did you use.... even from the website, the batteries are clearly not for automotive use.
there are some dead battery assist batteries, but nothing that looks even remotely compatable with the standard car battery.

a 4 cell is about 14 volts nominally. a 3 cell is about 11volts. fully charged, the 3 cell is 12.6 volts and the 4 cell is 16volts. the charging system of a car would actually work , based on strictly a voltage control of about 13.5 -14 volts. meaning that the 4 cell could only ever be charged to about 50% of capasithy and probably couldn't be damaged.

as was mentioned, the charging system of a Lipo battery is much different than a lead acid battery. it cant handle an over voltage at all, and current needs to be limited as well. there are no such controls on a auto charging system. it runs up to 14volts and the battery takes what it needs as far as current....... a dead battery might take the full 80-100amps that a alternator can provide if its dead, and that could kill most lipos. and there is no way to charge a 4 cell to full voltage, as was mentioned the 4 cell voltage is well beyond most car alternators capabilities, and a 3cell is way too low of voltage.

so, if your lipo battery lasted 3 months, you were lucky.

I think 13lbs for a odyssey is plenty light for a lead acid battery and also have over 700cca capabilities.... ive used them for 15 years now with no issues. in fact, I still have my original battery for a back up as it still works.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:17 AM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

Regarding the charging issued mentioned: How is it different than using Li-chemistry batteries in a motorcycle? The bikes charge them with the standard alternator setup that's meant for lead-acid batteries. These Li-() batteries have been around for a few years for the motorcycle industry and seem to work ok. I have one that's almost 2 years old and still works well. Thoughts?
Old 11-18-2014, 12:35 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd like to try one of these. For now I've been using a autozone ATV battery with good success. they last a couple of years and then take a dump. Almost a consumable. Mine is 15 lbs or so, I'd like a 10 lbs savings for sure.

Quick Reply: Antigravity batteries???