Sponsored by:

Toyo's new RR tire

Old 12-05-2012, 11:13 PM
9.5 Degrees
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Sterling Doc
Thanks John - I will pass it on.

I asked tonight wether the drive wheels recommendations apply to low HP cars (we don't spin tires much, at least with an LSD!). The answer is definitely yes, they do apply to all cars.

I am also told the recommendations are expected to be permanent, though research and testing into this issue remains very active/ongoing.
Sorry to hear this, Toyo has really missed the mark by a wide margin on this one. I don't know of any other tires that one must go through such a hassle to make sure they perform.

Their statement sounds like it was written by a lawyer with CYA in mind and if any of the numerous steps are not taken, liability is mitigated to some extend.

We assume a level of risk when we go out on track. We spend a small fortune to diminish those risks by making sure our cars are properly prepared and teched, our helmets meet certain minimum standards, our fire suits as well -- to say nothing of the race cages etc. (See the post on the video for the Boxster roll over as an example this past weekend) all to make sure we come home after a long weekend.

But I am NOT willing to risk running a tire that has a known defect and, at least on the surface, appears the manufacturer is not standing behind.

These tires have hardly been out for any period of time with a small sample size and we see these defects? The sizes available are very small and not many high HP cars have even run these tires. What happens when 400 HP cars are running these things in 100+ degree weather?

I won't run in any group that sanctions these RR tires until Toyo finds out what is wrong with them. I'm afraid the trial lawyers are going to have a field day with this one...
Old 12-05-2012, 11:26 PM
johntorg
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree about not using the tires until a real solution is found. At least one person has received a full refund from TireRack for 4 bad tires. I have 2 with cracks, but am very nervous about running the other 2 until a better solution is found. The problem with the frequent inspection Toyo recommends is that we run 2 hour stints in enduros and my tires didn't last that long before cracking.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:31 PM
johntorg
Rennlist Member

Actually the tire performed very well compared to the RA1 and seems to be equal or close to the Hoosiers. Now if they can fix the cracking problem we will have a very good spec tire. Jumping through hoops about which position a tire can run on doesn't seem to be a realistic solution and there is some indication that it won't work.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:50 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 9.5 Degrees
But I am NOT willing to risk running a tire that has a known defect and, at least on the surface, appears the manufacturer is not standing behind.

These tires have hardly been out for any period of time with a small sample size and we see these defects?
I'm none too happy I've got a new unmounted set sitting bagged in storage. Thought I was going to get to them this season, but had to cancel a couple events. I'd been happy with the BFG R1s but thought I'd try these... Guess that was a mistake.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:11 AM
philstireservice
Former Vendor

Here is the official consumer advisory as well as the mounting and rotation procedures. Scroll down on the page.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Phils...8261257?ref=hl
Old 12-06-2012, 01:18 AM
philstireservice
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by CCA
I'm none too happy I've got a new unmounted set sitting bagged in storage. Thought I was going to get to them this season, but had to cancel a couple events. I'd been happy with the BFG R1s but thought I'd try these... Guess that was a mistake.

Every R compound tire is made this way. Hoosiers, BFG's other Toyo's, Yoko's etc. and all had and have this issue. You've experienced it and not even known it. A tire with exceptional grip will experience this more often (only logical). Hoosiers still do this and they have a proper mounting procedure also. After the 25 hours at Thunderhill this weekend there will be a lot of positive feedback to back this up.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:27 AM
cb911racer
Rennlist Member

Sounds like there must be a lot of $$$$$$$$$$ involved for Toyo to keep running the new problematic tire. I hope no one gets hurt beacuse of a tire coming apart. No one's life should be worth a big profit to Toyo. Sounds like they are covering there *** with some lawyer talk.

It may be time to jump ship from Spec 944!!!!!!
Old 12-06-2012, 09:37 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

I guess I'm the only one who doesn't find the mounting instructions clear? Obviously, you have to mount them so they roll in one direction on the driven wheels and in the other direction for the non-driven, but I'm not clear which direction that is. Also, does this mean that the only correct way to rotate these tires id diagonally? (left rear to right front...)
Old 12-06-2012, 09:42 AM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sterling Doc
^^^ That's discouraging...

Do you know which one of the pictures was the RF?
The cracked one that was mounted per Toyo's new recommendation was the middle picture in MikePotter's post #61. This tire was mounted on the right front with the DOT code on the left.

The premise of the Tirerack article and, apparently, the Toyo advisory is that it is a spinning accelerative force or a sliding braking force which causes the the splice to separate. I think that we can eliminate the wheel spin concept since we are talking about Miatas and 944's. MikePotter's experience was in a DE. He is a well experienced driver in the highest non-instructor run group. There is not a lot of reason to be locking brakes in a Miata in that circumstance and, in any event, that cannot explain why his right rear failed.

Last edited by DCP; 12-06-2012 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Correction
Old 12-06-2012, 09:43 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,399 Likes on 747 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
I guess I'm the only one who doesn't find the mounting instructions clear? Obviously, you have to mount them so they roll in one direction on the driven wheels and in the other direction for the non-driven, but I'm not clear which direction that is. Also, does this mean that the only correct way to rotate these tires id diagonally? (left rear to right front...)
Every night before food once daily to be taken four times a day three times a day every three times daily take one take two take three one or two. This broom does not actually fly. Warning: product may cause cancer in California. You could be a winner! No purchase necessary. Details inside product packaging.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:46 AM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mglobe
Mike: Download the PDF. It is clear from that. You can get it at http://toyotires.com/customer-care/t...vice-bulletins
Old 12-06-2012, 09:55 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by DCP
Mike: Download the PDF. It is clear from that. You can get it at http://toyotires.com/customer-care/t...vice-bulletins
Thanks. I had not seen the second page where they have the diagrams.
Attached Images  
Old 12-06-2012, 11:08 AM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea- That diagram is what every racer wants to think about when rotating tires.........
Old 12-06-2012, 11:25 AM
johntorg
Rennlist Member

I finally got pictures of my two bad tires. both were on the Left side of the car The LF was not mounted according to the new diagram, but the LR was mounted correctly Of the two non-damaged tires on the right side the RF was "correct" and the RR was "incorrect" Those are pretty deep "cosmetic" problems.

Causes one to wonder if the fix is really a fix.
Attached Images   
Old 12-06-2012, 12:37 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

[QUOTE=philstireservice;10051254]Every R compound tire is made this way. Hoosiers, BFG's other Toyo's, Yoko's etc. and all had and have this issue. You've experienced it and not even known it. QUOTE]

I donno... I inspect my tires after each run and thoroughly after each event. I have notices the seam line before on tires, but never seen a grove develop. I also never follow any special mounting or rotating procedure with the BFGs or RA-1, because none were mentioned/required. I have also never head of any issue or report of an issue like this with the BFG and I sought out a lot of feed & info prior to my first use of the tire. Hopefully, this problem is not significant, but until I hear more I'm going to hold off deciding whether to order a second set of these or the BFGs.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Toyo's new RR tire