Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Race Car for SCCA, PCA AND NASA?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 11:34 AM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
SCCA is consolidating classes for 2013. Not sure if the final rules package is posted. Some T2 cars go to T1 which might mess you up for other cross classes. I think rules become final after the runoffs.
That explains the T2 car for sale. With ZO6's and Vipers in T1, a C2 will get murdered.

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 09-18-2012, 11:35 AM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by PBR ME
It's a 2004 C2....it will run in T1 next year, with about 400lbs less weight than it has now (3550# currently)...capable of :28s at Road America as it sits now.

Built to the HIGHEST of standards, with NO EXPENSE spared. I've done 8 races this year, and had ZERO issues. It's fun and fast!

Shoot me an email, and I will send you all of the build details.

Steve
I will take a look-see, but for a different class. roger.burdette@comcast.net Good luck this week!
Old 09-18-2012, 11:37 AM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 007DT
No one has mentioned a Cayman yet. They have been out long enough now to determine how reliable they are and I'm curious how competitive they are in different sanctioned groups? Also cost of ownership vs 996 race car.
Hey Dave...been looking at Cayman too. Gotta investigate the rule book though. I think it is allowed in EP for SCCA.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:20 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by coryf
A boxster in e/f would be a fun and reliable car.
+1

This F class boxster was posted up recently:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd=...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT
Old 09-18-2012, 12:42 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Astroman
+1

This F class boxster was posted up recently:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd=...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT
Yup, been looking at this one. I like it but need to see how it fits into SCCA. GTS is easy since you have 3 variables to place with...weight, hp and tires.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:26 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 591 Likes on 261 Posts

The 987.2 2nd generation Cayman S 3.4L currently sits in Touring 2 in the SCCA, I-Stock in the SCCA and I'm assuming GTS3 is where you would want to go with a DFI Cayman S. If a DFI Cayman makes 330rwhp and 272lb./ft in race trim, then to run GTS4, you would have to weight 2550 with slicks and 2700 without. It's not enough to out-run a 997 GT3 at 3050 lbs making 400RWHP and 310lb/ft of torque at the tires.

We are currently lobbying with the SCCA, first waiting for my long-time friend and former customer Steve Jenkins to win a National Championship and then hopefully they'll let a Porsche in Touring that isn't 10 years old. I have submitted rules in Touring 1 for the 997.2 GTS and Touring 2 for the base Carrera S 3.8L DFI and the Cayman S 3.4L.

The DFI Cayman S exists in Touring, albeit without a suspension kit and their classes are about to get totally revised. The existing control arms and toe links that are on this car are not legal in Touring in 2012 but have been submitted for 2013. However, those parts are legal in PCA I-Stock. So, in fact, this Cayman this is street legal is mostly legal in the SCCA, 100% legal in PCA and 100% legal in NASA GTS3 making (300 + 270)/2 at 3300lbs, it's a perfect GTS3 car with and without slicks.

Last edited by BGB Motorsports; 09-21-2012 at 11:29 AM.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:22 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

John

What is up with no LSD in the itc cars and PSM activating the abs on the spinning wheel? I hear they are going thru brakes!
Old 09-18-2012, 10:31 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Well, I would suggest spec racer ford in SCCA. Prolly $20K for used, competitive car. Sealed engine and transmission. BEST bang for the buck. I got started years ago after doing the initial PCA race here in Portland and talked to fellow P-car racer who was president of our local PCA. He mentioned that for the cost of an engine rebuild, he could go racing spec racer. And that is where we have been for about 16 years. Sold my 88 Club Sport (highly modified) and have just been enjoying street P cars while racing the spec series.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:25 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

We are proud owners of SRF chassis #226 and it still remains to date the best racing out there. While it is a violation of what is expected of me here to say this, there is no way the racing is better or more fun at our level than it is at the SCCA National level, specifically in the southeast division in the SRF field. I really really miss running my car. I ran a 91 car race at VIR once with 60 spec wreckers strung out like a drunken congo line. My vote is for the 105bhp 1990 blue oval prototype!

Last edited by BGB Motorsports; 09-21-2012 at 11:27 AM.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:07 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

JR can out qualify cups on a Schwinn...he isn't human.
===> SCHWINN... LMAO, dont show your age! what is a schwinn?
Old 09-19-2012, 11:43 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by mikew968
John

What is up with no LSD in the itc cars and PSM activating the abs on the spinning wheel? I hear they are going thru brakes!
Hi Mike,

I'm not sure what is up. Given that Porsche doesn't believe in true LSD technology for the street on almost all cars but the LSD equipped special ordered cars, existing LSD equipped 997.2 cars and the GT3s, they rely heavily on wheelspin control off of the corner with the PSM. So, with PSM-Off in OEM fashion, the throttle cut from yaw is turned off but there's still wheelspin control off of the corner. It's burning up rear pads and calipers and fluid.

The ITC cars have the PSM deleted and have tradition LSDs in them from Guard Transmission. It's people that haven't fully deleted the PSM by cutting the ground that are having these issues. More specifically, those with PDK and sport chrono have to maintain PSM because of loss of Sport-Plus so they can't delete the PSM for they will lose throttle response.

I have to tell you though...i've have built and driven on track two race prepared cars with PDK and one was without LSD and one had LSD. Handling characteristics of both were the same. It's as if you can't feel the LSD with the PSM to the point where the two cars handle the same because before you even get wheelspin to the point where you would want an LSD, the calipers start up again. It doesn't seem to be as bad on PDK cars though because the rev-matching on entry is cleaner with brake pressure being more consistent to the point where things might be a bit cooler on the rear brakes with a PDK car before the off-corner wheelspin control kicks in.

The only way we have ever race prepared these things is to delete PSM and install a true LSD. We kept PSM with the PDK cars and they're not wanting more than what they have. It's a bit odd.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:24 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by mooty
JR can out qualify cups on a Schwinn...he isn't human.
===> SCHWINN... LMAO, dont show your age! what is a schwinn?
Ha! Guess I dated myself! Hey, Schwinn is making a comeback, arent' they?
Old 09-19-2012, 01:52 PM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 80 Posts

Question: So, would a factory no-PSM full aerokit 2003 Carrera 2 with a fresh LN-Engineering IMS bearing, Motorsport AOS, X51 oilpan, gt3 LCA's, etc, etc, therefore be the perfect Spec996 donor car?

I may be putting mine on the market soon (unrelated reasons). Didn't realize there could be a racecar market for it.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:59 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by quickxotica
Question: So, would a factory no-PSM full aerokit 2003 Carrera 2 with a fresh LN-Engineering IMS bearing, Motorsport AOS, X51 oilpan, gt3 LCA's, etc, etc, therefore be the perfect Spec996 donor car?

I may be putting mine on the market soon (unrelated reasons). Didn't realize there could be a racecar market for it.
Depends on Milage.. ~$25-$30
Old 09-19-2012, 02:02 PM
PBR ME
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
That explains the T2 car for sale. With ZO6's and Vipers in T1, a C2 will get murdered.
The vipers were moved to STO, and the corvettes will have weight and restrictions added. I'm selling to move into a class where I won't be racing against the customers who race with the company I coach for!
#badbusinesstobeatuponyourcustomers!

Quick Reply: Porsche Race Car for SCCA, PCA AND NASA?