Sponsored by:

Gearbox issue ideas.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 03:19 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
My gear was stock gear. Do you have any beefier ones? Will straight cut be stronger?
Was it a used stock gear or a brand new one? Used is always a question mark no matter how good it looks.

One of the ways that the aftermarket makes stronger gears is to reduce toothcount. Your 1.41 ratio 3rd gear was a 27:38 toothcount. Ours, and most other gear makers use 22:31 toothcount to get to a 1.41 ratio. Fewer teeth means wider roots, which means the teeth themselves are stronger. The tradeoff? Noise. OEMS build for NVH. We do not. Fewer larger teeth are more coarse and make more noise.

And beyond the toothcount, the angle of the helix also contributes to noise. For years Porsche owners refused to consider buying straight cut gears for their cars because Porsche didn't do it. There's an OEM is best bias we have seen among Porsche owners. For decades Hewland and many others have made straight cut race gears. But up until 2005.5 with the release of the 997 Cup Porsche never used straight cut gears in their factory racecars. Straight cut is stronger, and in the last few years we've seen an interest in them, and do make them for synchronized gearboxes. We also keep making helical gears because there is still more demand for them. We just relax the angle of our helix so that the gear is a bit stronger. Call it a slight bait and switch. Our gears make noise, and we openly admit it, but we've made even our helical gears stronger with our designs.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:09 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brand new stock gear (as far as I know), I know I paid for a new one. I don't care about noise, my car is already extremely loud. I'll send you a PM on that.

Quick Reply: Gearbox issue ideas.