Sponsored by:

Watkins Glen racers, what you should know

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 03:04 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
That turn, like many turns, doesn't like you to be giving steering input at that point in the corner. If you go wide there you let it go off and drive up the grass with the wheel straight. There is actually a good car's width of grass there, been on it a few times...
Agreedified, completely.

The one time (and hopefully ever) I early apexed the Kink at Road America, I did exactly what Gary described. Kept the wheel straight at 110 mph, let the suspension settle, and eased it back on track. Just be sure to let the suspension settle before giving steering input.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:46 PM
RSA67
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The corner certainly wasnt "nailed" but I thought I had the car set up, before the rumble, to run down it as it appeared to be pointed where I wanted to go (and I hope where I was looking), up the hill and to the inside of turn 9. The video appears that I was trying to turn the car to get back on track, but that initial yaw I believe was caused when the left front hit the water, soon to be followed by the rear and as you said, then I was just along for the ride.

This is a great forum to share, learn from mistakes or point out things at a track we that we all should be aware of..
Old 07-06-2012, 03:54 PM
TrackdayRSA.
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From someone who is hoping to do my first run at the Glen this year, I thank you for sharing this. Glad you are okay, and hope you're back on track soon.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:13 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by TrackdayRSA.
From someone who is hoping to do my first run at the Glen this year, I thank you for sharing this. Glad you are okay, and hope you're back on track soon.
Do yourself an ENORMOUS favor and take the track walk if offered. The curbing has changed substantially and you will be amazed at the elevation changes and the banking in some corners..
Old 07-06-2012, 04:15 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RSA67
The corner certainly wasnt "nailed" but I thought I had the car set up, before the rumble, to run down it as it appeared to be pointed where I wanted to go (and I hope where I was looking), up the hill and to the inside of turn 9. The video appears that I was trying to turn the car to get back on track, but that initial yaw I believe was caused when the left front hit the water, soon to be followed by the rear and as you said, then I was just along for the ride.

This is a great forum to share, learn from mistakes or point out things at a track we that we all should be aware of..
Yes, and it's great of you to share the video as a learning tool!
Old 07-06-2012, 04:51 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

This is a good lesson for many, many corners. We're always told to try and drive it straight off, but sometimes we forget to drive off as straight as possible. The downhill at Lime Rock is the same as here. People put two wheels off, then try and get the car right back on track. The key is to be patient (and have some big *****) and drive it with two off for a while until the car settles like Mike in Chi said.

Track walks at the Glen are one of the best things anywhere. There is so much elevation change, camber, and little markers to be found that it is amazing.

Sorry for the crash and glad you're ok.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:52 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Another perfect example of the unforgiving nature of the Glen. Do they really need those blue bushes right there? Unfortunately, that would have been a harmless spin into the grass at most other circuits. The Glen could be the best track in the NE, as long as you're on the pavement. I imagine they charged you for armco damage, too, didn't they?
Old 07-06-2012, 05:23 PM
993PET
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
This is a good lesson for many, many corners. We're always told to try and drive it straight off, but sometimes we forget to drive off as straight as possible. The downhill at Lime Rock is the same as here. People put two wheels off, then try and get the car right back on track. The key is to be patient (and have some big *****) and drive it with two off for a while until the car settles like Mike in Chi said.
Turn 9 at Mid-Ohio, the right hander over the hill going into Thunder Valley is very similar in this respect. If you put outside wheels off at the exit your only chance is to drive straight through the grass! Ask me I've done it! Patience is everything in these situations, however sometimes that's easier said than done.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:42 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
That turn, like many turns, doesn't like you to be giving steering input at that point in the corner. If you go wide there you let it go off and drive up the grass with the wheel straight. There is actually a good car's width of grass there, been on it a few times...
Yep, been all 4 on grass till almost turn 9 several times.....

I am glad he is OK
Old 07-06-2012, 07:12 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts

John H:
T8 is actually one of the easier turns to master at WGI. VR is totally right. I'll paraphrase what he said - maybe this will help:

Its vision.. The car goes where you look. If you look AT the turn, you will creep in and probably also turn in early: On any track..

Use left side visual references to control your vision which will help to maintain your line and avoid the creep. For example, the white line that goes down the left side ends with some extra paving to the left of the white line just around the ideal turn in (Doesn't matter what you think the ideal turn in actually is). Look for it. Other similar details. Look at things around the turn in. Anything to avoid looking to your right at the Apex when thats not where you want to go yet.

Don't look at things that can move!

Don't look AT the Apex before you turn in. It hasn't moved in years. This can be a very fast turn when done right.

This also applies well to T1 at WGI.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:57 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dan212
John H:
T8 is actually one of the easier turns to master at WGI.
I have never mastered any turns on any track, let alone done it easily... Someday I hope to be that good though.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:05 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts

Gary

You are right.

I should have said.. Do more better at
Old 07-06-2012, 08:12 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dan212
Gary

You are right.
I should have said.. Do more better at
And here I thought it was just me...
Though there are people out there that are masters, just not me...
Old 07-07-2012, 10:14 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

Thank yoou for sharing this tip.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:07 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by 993PET
... missing the apex and running wide at the exit trying to keep the car on the track. Heavy impact across the track to the inside is often the result. JF
Not a racer but have done many laps at the Glen--this exact same thing used to happen in T10 before they paved the runoff area.....I saw it happen twice in one weekend.

At day's end, it's your health that counts--glad you're OK.

Gary

Quick Reply: Watkins Glen racers, what you should know