Sponsored by:

V8 Supercars - the best?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 08:06 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default V8 Supercars - the best?

I love all forms of motorsport...love that Grand Am Rolex , conti. Alms, World Challenge, Spec miata racing, 2 to 4 wheels on a track or dirt and much love.

and while i love and admire and respect so many of the drivers that participate in the US-based series, i must say, i think the V8 Supercar drivers are just outrageous.

Those races are typically nose to tail 30 deep lap after lap after lap. They chomp and chew up cruves like noone's business; they all seem to have just amazing car control and go through turns tighter nose to tail than any other series other than Spec miata racing ..and they have just a few more HP.

i enjoy racing in a few series. dont get me wrong. much respect.
i just think those aussies are on another planet.
i wonder how rolex drivers would do in the v8 series???
Old 07-01-2012, 08:48 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

that is the only race series I watch. all the rest are kind of boring.
I thinkmu shold race their a few time!!!
Old 07-01-2012, 09:29 PM
ukrbmw
Pro

It is pretty wicked and I have to agree that is some of the most amazing, equal racing you can catch!
Old 07-02-2012, 01:08 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Watching the races I was thinking a V8 falcon or a Holden would make an amazing streetcar. Then you start looking around and you realize they just don't build these cool V8 powered euro style sedans here in the states. We get these big overstuffed Chrysler 300s mustangs or Cameros and most those come with V6. Their cars are like stuffing a V8 in a ford focus. So theres a gap in the notion of taking a US street based platform and go road racing. When you do the same in the states it really starts looking just like GrandAm. Corvette, camero, mustang, BMW, Audi, Porsche, are the marques/cars available here. If it does turn out that they bring the Aussie cars here Im afraid it will quickly become a silhouette series and loose it's soul. Really too bad I love the series and it is amazing racing but can't figure how it will translate. Ford tried to do bring the falcon here in 2012 but dropped it. Chrysler is talking about trying to campaign a 300 (yea right) in Australia.... Misses the boat on every level...
Old 07-02-2012, 04:43 AM
Dubai944
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't you guys get the Chevrolet Lumina in the US? They sell in Dubai and are just rebadged Holden Commodores.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:13 AM
fanny bay r1
Burning Brakes

NASCAR done right!!!!
Old 07-02-2012, 07:24 AM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

I think the now defunct GTO was a rebadged holden.

V8supercars= real racing!!
Old 07-02-2012, 08:57 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Yes, your Pontiac GTO was designed and built down here as a Holden Monaro...with a few less cosmetic frills as well.

I really like the V8s too and agree that there isn't much to rival the sheer competitiveness between drivers and teams. They are looking at homogenising the series next year by introducing what they call the Car of the Future in which there will be many shared parts and they will become even more of a Silhouette series. Nissan is already coming back and Chrysler is mooted also.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:25 AM
jittsl
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All Australians are brilliant drivers, goes without saying.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:36 AM
SoClose
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

The 2009 Pontiac G8 GXP was a left hand drive HSV with a Pontiac front end and rear spoiler. We had HSV send up the original panels and badging. It is hella fun to drive.
The GTO was based on a Monero but I believe had several Pontiac bits- suspension was one change, I believe.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:22 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

I had a student with a GTO, supercharged V8 gobs of power but again it was a coupe and only made a few years back, the us luminas don't look anything like ROW options.ford has the SHO tarus but a V6... Really too bad supercars are taking on the COF formula, NASCAR here we come...at least it will stay on road courses

It is great racing that i qush we had here (unmolested) It's all best summed up in the Daryl Waltrip ride along in Tasmania, he was screaming like a little girl...
Old 07-02-2012, 10:24 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

IMO, Aus V8 SC and the DTM have the best races and drivers in the world. Part of what sets them apart is their ability to drive 'Flat Out' and pass without crashing and punting everyone out of the way. Well oiled teams and a good rule set help make this series one of my favorite to watch. I wish we got them all televised.

GA has gone down the road of 'crashing and taking out your opponent is racing'. Though, this year they seem to be cleaning things up a bit and that has renewed my interest, especially in the Conti Series.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:27 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by J richard
It is great racing that i qush we had here (unmolested) It's all best summed up in the Daryl Waltrip ride along in Tasmania, he was screaming like a little girl...
That was funny as hell.

I don't believe they were ever planning to run the series here. Just one race/yr at COTA like they do a Abu Dabi.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:30 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

One of v8 super cars best drivers has but one win in five years of the sprint cup.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:56 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
One of v8 super cars best drivers has but one win in five years of the sprint cup.
IMO, by comparison, driver talent means far less in NASCAR...

Quick Reply: V8 Supercars - the best?