Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone watch NASCAR?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 07:03 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

I enjoyed this race...funny Clint Boyer basically a roundly round guy wins it! Great driving....
Old 06-24-2012, 07:06 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Nice pass by Stewart to take second.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:41 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

I saw one of the drivers wave when another one let him by... ...seriously.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:43 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

And while I'm busy stirring things up, Danica had a great race yesterday at Road America. She ran in the top five almost the entire race, and was in 4th on the last lap when Jaques Villeneuve punted her. What impressed me the most was how she gave Max Pappis a run for his money.

NASCAR needs to do more road courses.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:53 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
Ha ha ha ha.

That twitter.com #nascar page was abuzz with how bad the coverage was. They phoned it in until the final 20 laps. Very exciting battle at the end there.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:57 PM
Steward B.
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Searching the Internet it appears that NASCAR fans don't care about lap times. Was able to find that Carl Edwards was fastest in practice at Road America with a 2:15 and change. No one else faster than a 2:16
Roughly the same as a 7 cup but my bet is they make their fast laps significantly differently!
Old 06-24-2012, 08:08 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,666 Likes on 859 Posts

I saw that, too. Does Carrera GT know this?

And while I'm busy stirring things up, Danica had a great race yesterday at Road America. She ran in the top five almost the entire race, and was in 4th on the last lap when Jaques Villeneuve punted her. What impressed me the most was how she gave Max Pappis a run for his money.

NASCAR needs to do more road courses.
Si, jefe!!
Old 06-24-2012, 08:42 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Really comparing lap times from a Sprint Cup car and other race series cars is not all that meaningful to me. Those Sprint Cups look like a handful to drive on a road course.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:20 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

I found the same thing relative to the lap times, but it must be anticlimactic to show a guy on pole at 79mph and compare that to oval speeds. a purpose built tube frame car with 11" slicks and 750hp...gotta think they could make it handle.

Thats where I think that running more road courses would make for an all round better car and series. Keep hoping the spectacle of the aussie cars rubs off on the good ol boys and makes it interesting.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:01 AM
onefastviking
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Really comparing lap times from a Sprint Cup car and other race series cars is not all that meaningful to me. Those Sprint Cups look like a handful to drive on a road course.
I've driven a NASCAR road race car on a road course, yes it was a last years model at the time about two years ago, and it still remains to be the most amazing car that I have ever driven, PERIOD ! Yes, I hold it higher than a Porsche Cup car. - Hey who was that ? Did I really just say that ?

The things I found that car doing were a amazing, just being able to stick like it does and put the power down, with as small a tire patch as it has, was nothing short of amazing. I changed my attitude towards those NASCAR guys after having driven one of their cars. I found myself pushing myself in the car lap after lap thinking that there was no way it could handle the corners or more throttle but it just kept on doing it.
It does take much more skill than you'd realize. As well, when you look at the cars and see the R&D and technology that they have put into those "Good Ol' Boy"-"Stock" cars, they might as well be F1 cars. I'd venture to say that more wind tunnel time and $$$$$ is spent in NASCAR R&D than in F1.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:05 AM
onefastviking
Race Car

Originally Posted by J richard
I found the same thing relative to the lap times, but it must be anticlimactic to show a guy on pole at 79mph and compare that to oval speeds. a purpose built tube frame car with 11" slicks and 750hp...gotta think they could make it handle.

That's where I think that running more road courses would make for an all round better car and series. Keep hoping the spectacle of the aussie cars rubs off on the good ol boys and makes it interesting.
The power they make has them able to break the rear tires loose at any time down the straights even. They handle amazing, especially when you consider the weight to power to tire patch available on the car.
I never understood what the announcers meant by the drivers having trouble putting down the power in NASCAR, then I drove one and broke the rear tires loose with a little too much throttle application in 3rd or 4th gear going down a back straight. Now I understand.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:20 AM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by onefastviking
The power they make has them able to break the rear tires loose at any time down the straights even. They handle amazing, especially when you consider the weight to power to tire patch available on the car.
I never understood what the announcers meant by the drivers having trouble putting down the power in NASCAR, then I drove one and broke the rear tires loose with a little too much throttle application in 3rd or 4th gear going down a back straight. Now I understand.
what did you drive, and where?

I'm considering doing the NASCAR school at Irwindale (old Busch series cars, I think) but not sure if it's a realistic experience or one of those "hey, you went 100 mph!!!!" deals when the car is nowhere close to its limit.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:36 AM
onefastviking
Race Car

Originally Posted by GuyIncognito
what did you drive, and where?

I'm considering doing the NASCAR school at Irwindale (old Busch series cars, I think) but not sure if it's a realistic experience or one of those "hey, you went 100 mph!!!!" deals when the car is nowhere close to its limit.
It was a friends car that was dyno'd at 750RWHP and gobs of TQ, although I forgot that number, it was a road race chassis and was a retired car. It was at MSR Houston, a member road race course just south of Houston, Texas.
Year to 2 year old stock cars are readily available for 25-100+k depending on who's old car it was and what it's current setup is.
Since it was my friends car and we were comparing lap times to each other driving it back to back I got to push it as much as I wanted to,we were well into the triple digits. - It was funny because both of our impressions were the same regarding the so called "Stock car".

I understand the "stock car experience" programs are good if you've never really done any racing or big speed, but for most of us that already race it may be less than what we'd really like to do. Ask lot's of questions regarding what you will get at the experience ride and drives to make sure it is the experience you are looking for so you won't be disappointed. I think those cars run lesser or de-tuned motors so they are more profitable for them, and 500hp de-tuned is still plenty to scare most individuals.

Here are some examples of some cars available for sale. You can find cheaper cars but they are not always as well put together as what Gene offers, you get what you pay for in other words.

http://www.genefeltonrestorations.com/forsale.html
Old 06-25-2012, 03:00 AM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by onefastviking
It was a friends car that was dyno'd at 750RWHP and gobs of TQ, although I forgot that number, it was a road race chassis and was a retired car. It was at MSR Houston, a member road race course just south of Houston, Texas.
Year to 2 year old stock cars are readily available for 25-100+k depending on who's old car it was and what it's current setup is.
Since it was my friends car and we were comparing lap times to each other driving it back to back I got to push it as much as I wanted to,we were well into the triple digits. - It was funny because both of our impressions were the same regarding the so called "Stock car".

I understand the "stock car experience" programs are good if you've never really done any racing or big speed, but for most of us that already race it may be less than what we'd really like to do. Ask lot's of questions regarding what you will get at the experience ride and drives to make sure it is the experience you are looking for so you won't be disappointed. I think those cars run lesser or de-tuned motors so they are more profitable for them, and 500hp de-tuned is still plenty to scare most individuals.

Here are some examples of some cars available for sale. You can find cheaper cars but they are not always as well put together as what Gene offers, you get what you pay for in other words.

http://www.genefeltonrestorations.com/forsale.html
I agree about the "stock car experience" programs for people that have track experience. the cars at Irwindale are detuned for longevity. still since it's a short track, and I've never driven an oval, might be interesting.

and yeah, I'm familiar with Gene Felton and see quite a few old stock cars for sale on various websites, very tempting a few have shown up at various track days/NASA races out here and they're actually decently quick. and LOUD.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:09 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

I've watched the Sprint Cup cars test at Sonoma on the normal/full track and they're FAST. IIRC, they were running about the same lap times as I do in my 2011 GT3 Cup. On a more wide open track they should be faster... :O

-mike

Quick Reply: anyone watch NASCAR?