Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 GT3 converted race - Which PCA class?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 07:55 PM
TRT41
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Steward B.
I'd advise finding a well set up car that's already being raced competitively in PCA CR.
There are a ton of them for sale, at good prices, all the time.
You may have to go a ways to find one but you will be paying probably 30 cents on the original owners dollar.
Having built and sold a competitive stock class car and purchased a competitive gt class car, I've been on both ends and have seen it happen
+1

you might want to hold off on the purchase until you get a better idea about which class you'll compete in. Just trying to help you spend less time and money. As stated above, by Steward B, plenty of options are available.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:14 PM
Big Al HURT123
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Gt2. I can get it to stock easily at minimal cost. I figure this car will give me room to advance. Ive spoken to several people about this specific car and decided to go for it. Hope to see you all out there soon. Thanks
Old 05-19-2012, 08:26 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Al HURT123
There are tons of cars mostly 964 and older which I was considering. I had deposits on 3 different cars over the past 2 months and they all had major issues. Hard to find a nice and relatively clean one.
They're no bargain used race cars. Imho
Old 05-20-2012, 01:44 AM
Big Al HURT123
Rennlist Member

No bargains. But sometimes with a little luck your timing can be just right to swoop in and get the car you want at a deep discount. Timing is everything. I am hopeful that luck is on my side this time around.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:54 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,222 Likes on 1,253 Posts

You could just sign up for NASA.

They weigh the car, put it on the dyno and there is your class. Nice and simple.

Then if you want to run in a "slower" class, just de-tune the motor.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:06 AM
Big Al HURT123
Rennlist Member

Ya NASA and pboc are both very ez. The one thing I found odd at a nasa event was that some how a stock 996 cup was is in the same st class as a 600hp vett. The rs had no chance.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:57 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,222 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Ya NASA and pboc are both very ez. The one thing I found odd at a nasa event was that some how a stock 996 cup was is in the same st class as a 600hp vett. The rs had no chance.
600hp at the rear wheels on the NASA dyno?
That would be SU class (super unlimited). Not sure why a stock 996 cup would be in there?
Old 05-20-2012, 03:24 AM
Big Al HURT123
Rennlist Member

Not sure why. But i also looked at the gts class and it seems the gts5 is really broad. you can have light 996s with 996 cups and 997 cups based on stock specs. That doesnt seem fair either.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:31 AM
Surfbum
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

99-05 996 cups as well as 2005.5 - 2009 997 cups are in GTS5
2010 - 2012 997 cups are in GTSU because of the 3.8

I just finished a 997 Cup S that has RSR rubber and massive brakes to run GTS 5 next year at the Nationals.

It's none of my business but have you considered a spec class? You might enjoy that more knowing that everyone is driving virtually the same car and you dont have to worry that you might be out gunned.
I have spoken to guys that drive the spec box and spec 996 cars and they seem to be having a blast.

I also drive in the Pirelli Drivers Cup with a 997 Cup that are stock and has to have PMNA sealed motors/ECU's. Its a very level playing field and you get a pretty good way of meausring your progress against the other drivers.

just my $.02
Old 05-20-2012, 11:36 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure why. But i also looked at the gts class and it seems the gts5 is really broad. you can have light 996s with 996 cups and 997 cups based on stock specs. That doesnt seem fair either.
Fair is an ambiguous term when it comes to racing. I personally think NASA's creation and subsequent promotion of their weight/whp classes has elevated the level of fairness in amateur racing. Policing these classes became simple, just weigh them and throw them on a dyno. You could argue the spread is too wide for the classes and I wouldn't disagree but that's mostly a function of class size.

As for your specific point, I run the lightest 996 I know of at 2600 w/driver on fumes. At that weight I could have 290 rwhp (wish) and stay in GTS4. The 6 or 7-cups (except the 3.8's) run in GTS5. As for your Corvette example, there's no way that car can run within the same class parameters as a stock 6 or 7 cup in GTS. I race T1 Corvettes all time in my ST2 class, but they're only pushing about 385 to the wheels at 3200+ lbs. A 500 whp Corvette trying to run in GTS5 on R compounds would have to weigh 3,000. lbs and would get eaten alive by any decent cup driver.......

Old 05-20-2012, 12:05 PM
M_Weining
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts
Default GTS Series creators

Side note to give credit where credit is due:

I was a couple of racers (Denny Voss, Mark Barr and Vaughan Scott) that came up with hp to wt concept and developed the rules. They just happened to select NASA as the group to race with since they had competed with NASA in other series.

http://www.theracesite.com/print.cfm?form_article=6419

The transition from racer run to NASA run was not as smooth as one would have hoped.

And yes, NASA was wise to allow GTS to run with them.

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Fair is an ambiguous term when it comes to racing. I personally think NASA's creation and subsequent promotion of their weight/whp classes has elevated the level of fairness in amateur racing. Policing these classes became simple, just weigh them and throw them on a dyno. You could argue the spread is too wide for the classes and I wouldn't disagree but that's mostly a function of class size.

Last edited by M_Weining; 05-20-2012 at 12:17 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 05-20-2012, 02:58 PM
Big Al HURT123
Rennlist Member

Surfbum - I have seriously considered 996 Spec. (boxtsters not my thing). The problem is I don't believe that specc 996 has caught on here in Florida. I'm yet to see one and heard at this year 48hr there were only just 3 or 4 of them. That said if I could find one that is all set up I would probably buy it as I think its a nice "affordable" way to get started racing within the porsche marquee and it can run in other classes too. I'm also sure it will catch on eventually. But to buy and build one doesn't make sense for me considering the cost factor involved and the fact that the car I'm considering can be made to run pca stock or preped with some basic low cost mods I think it’s the right choice for me. Plus if I ever decide to move up I have all the parts to get back to gt2. One of the post here earlier made the most sense to me....it suggested that for the next 2 season not worry about how competitive I am but rather run the car as is have fun and to just get comfortable with the idea of racing a car. By then I can decide to keep the car as is (maybe gt2 will work for me) or make the changes to stock. It seems to me that with this car I really have a lot of flexibility to move in the classes to suit my needs. Plus IMHO, I believe the 996 gt3 motor to be more robust than the regular 996 motor which again I think is a more appropriate set up for me. Lastly its closer to what im use to; my gt3 rs.
With respect to the car you built please don't bring it to Florida...I don't want to be anywhere near that beast But I hear you load and clear. I can only hope if I do run a few local nasa events within gts5 there will be other cars closer to mine. Thanks and good luck at nationals...one day I'll get myself there.
With respect to the vett and 996 in the same class. I was mistaken. for some reason the 996 cup was running in st1 (maybe 2). I know the owner of the cup and the vett was from breathless in hollywood florida. The race I saw was Jan 2012 at homestead. 996 had no chance should have been in gts5
Old 05-20-2012, 03:29 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I believe the 996 gt3 motor to be more robust than the regular 996 motor which again I think is a more appropriate set up for me.
Transmission too. You made a good choice. They're pretty indestructable drive trains, I woudl suggest changing the LSD clutches out immediately as they're no doubt worn out (all the OEM clutches wore quickly) and replcing them with Guard's clutch pac. Not expensive and a working LSD makes a tremendous difference in how that GT3 handles and brakes. I wouldn't do anything else, but updating your LSD is the smartest investment you can make and it's not expensive. Enjoy.....
Old 05-20-2012, 04:07 PM
Big Al HURT123
Rennlist Member

Jrgordon - sent you a pm
Old 05-20-2012, 04:22 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 94 Posts

Weight aside, depending on the modifications, you could run in K. A friend has a GT3 and because he put one of those Monster carbon fiber wings on he started is in K. Then he figured he might as well regear it. Runs in K. He gutted his car and is still not quite to the minimum weight.

If your car is REALLY 2700 (thats impressive), add your own weight and some fuel. At most you would carry a tiny bit of ballast. Less if you carry a cool suit box. If your tranny hasn't been regeared thats a handicap, but not overwhelming. I think you will get creamed if you go into one of the GT classes 3 or 4 without regearing the tranny.

If you are going to run in K, you might as well put a cup wing on. Doesn't have to be an RS carbon fiber wing.

But what do I know?

Quick Reply: 2004 GT3 converted race - Which PCA class?