Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Racing & Drivers Education Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum-65/)
-   -   3.8 RS Wing suggestions (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/694067-3-8-rs-wing-suggestions.html)

sundog 04-29-2012 11:56 PM

3.8 RS Wing suggestions

I am looking to put a 3.8 RS wing on my 1991 NB carrera 2. There are so many versions out there. I would assume that the lightest option would be the integrated wing/lid. And it would probably be better for the airflow as well.

Any suggestions as to vendor? Fit, Quality, etc.

Short term DE use, long term convert to Club Racer.

spare tire 04-30-2012 01:58 AM

Short term is fine whatever you do. Trying to club race with a wing that is not stock will bump you into a class of cars that you cannot compete against. Crazy super light weight hot rods.

KaiB 04-30-2012 07:43 AM

Getty has what you want.

Above is also very true, save your original or run prepared.

Or GT4, tehe.

J richard 04-30-2012 10:25 AM

Getty or GT racing both have good pieces. Integrated is the way to go for lightness, consider CF, it's still a lot of plastic and the weight is in the wrong place. You will need a front splitter to balance the aero. Don't go too fancy as they have short lives on the track. I used the small GF vertical one from GT, get a couple and paint them and drill the same mounting holes so they can be swapped easily.
This setup will make a big difference in mid-high speed corners. Adjustability of the center element is important, drill/mount the endplate carefully, you want a full range. Eventually you may opt for the endplates and big element for racing, as was said keep the stock lid until you settle in a class.

autosea 04-30-2012 01:27 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The parts coming from venders are crap. They are using tech from the 60's. PCA is a club for arm chair racers but yet they have come up with a multiplier based on 110 hp per ltr. Costs wise to race at that level weight becomes a factor to optimize . total weight of the deck lid should be the total Square yards of the surface of the lid multiplied by 4.5 ounces which is the weight per sq. yard of the carbon and then double that because skin on either side of the foam core which weighs 1lb for a 4x8 sheet. Then add 50% weight of the carbon for the resin and is the weight . For the wing same except it is two halves so the total will have to be doubled.

autosea 04-30-2012 02:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I might have used a bit of the drawings from a GT3 RSR on the wing

autosea 04-30-2012 02:16 PM

Notice the 1 piece Kevlar taillight lens with the LED bulbs that show thru the cloth.

sundog 04-30-2012 02:30 PM

That is some very nice work.

I'm not ready for that level of work yet. I'm still getting the flavor of this. As an older man, I'm not looking for any trophies, just a fun time out with the other racers. There's still more time to be gotten out of the driver, than the car for now.