Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any good cyclists out there going to LRP, WGI, NJMP Club races, bring bikes,training?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 11:47 AM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any good cyclists out there going to LRP, WGI, NJMP Club races, bring bikes,training?

Rick Deman and I brought the bikes last year to the LRP race and got in a phenomenally good training ride after the last run sessions of the day.

Rick is a strong successful road racer on a bike, and i have half a dozen state championships in road racing and time trialing over the past decade, though now i just train hard, no racing.

I usually bring my road bike to all the races to which I attend. I plan on heading out for a 90minute-ish training ride at days' end at each of those events.

If there is anyone out there who'd like to join, shoot me a PM and we can cooridnate a time at days' end, though most likely it would be 20minutes after end of the last run group.
Lime Rock has some amazing roads for a good 30 to 40mile end of day ride.
NJMP is pretty good, flat but nice also.
and watkins is ridiculously awsome. i grew up in the Ithaca area and raced for Cornell for a few years. awsome terrain in taht neck of the woods.

id imagine the pace to be average, that 220 to 240 watts tempo thing, nothing out of hand. it would not be for beginner, but outside that, im sure we can make it work.

bring the bikes! nothing like a great workout after a hard day in the car.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:41 PM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was thinking of bringing the Pinarello along but the wife has nixed it saying my day at the track in enough.....

I'm not anywhere in y'alls league though!
Old 04-19-2012, 03:37 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chris M. is a monster cyclist and did the duathlon at WG (bike portion is on the track) last year during the race weekend. I'm not sure if he is planning to bring the bike back up this year or not.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:22 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spg993tt
id imagine the pace to be average, that 220 to 240 watts tempo thing, nothing out of hand.
Originally Posted by f1rocks
I'm not anywhere in y'alls league though!
I'm not in that league, either (and won't be there, obviously). I was initially interpreting this thread to mean that you would ride the track, and that's something I've been hoping to do at every track I've driven. Maybe this year...
Old 04-19-2012, 09:28 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

That duathlon was a hoot last year. You can do the whole lap on track without touching your brakes.

My wife and I were in Watkins Glen last year for the week preceding the race and did several rides in the area starting from town. I'll let you guys know if I bring my bike this year. I'm no time trial champion but am a triathlete and typically do about 20mph for a full Ironman and 22-23 for a half.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:12 PM
Racerrob
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I would love to ride at the Glen but the fact that you guys do 30-40 at the end of a track day tells me I am in no shape to join you

I have done some laps at the Glen, gives one a nice perspective on the track.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:09 AM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pontifex4
I'm not in that league, either (and won't be there, obviously). I was initially interpreting this thread to mean that you would ride the track, and that's something I've been hoping to do at every track I've driven. Maybe this year...
if the track will let us on, i definately would love to ride it.
i love love love riding the track, its an amazing way to figure out the camber the cndition of the curbing, the sand on the surface, etc.

some tracks permit it, others dont. NJMP ha some alloy fencing aroudn the entire thing, you cant get on anywhere.
i did about 5laps of sebring each morning this year at like 6am with a riding headlamp. its amazing what you see and learn at sebring. some of the sebring woudl jolt you off the bike, and you truley get a sense of how whacked out turns 17 and 1 are.
mosport is another awsome track that lets you on (or better stated at 6am, has openigns to get on).
etc.

but on track could be great also. i think climbing those S's a few times could be great training.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:34 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

FLAT? who rides on flats?
Old 04-20-2012, 01:34 AM
pontifex4
Drifting

mosport is another awsome track that lets you on (or better stated at 6am, has openigns to get on).
It's my home track, and one of these weekends, I'm going to do it!
Old 04-20-2012, 07:56 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

I've know that Jim Hamblin and Jimmy Lewis with run/bike after race days.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:08 AM
camlob
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rick Deman and I brought the bikes last year to the LRP race and got in a phenomenally good training ride after the last run sessions of the day.

Rick is a strong successful road racer on a bike, and i have half a dozen state championships in road racing and time trialing over the past decade, though now i just train hard, no racing.

I usually bring my road bike to all the races to which I attend. I plan on heading out for a 90minute-ish training ride at days' end at each of those events.

If there is anyone out there who'd like to join, shoot me a PM and we can cooridnate a time at days' end, though most likely it would be 20minutes after end of the last run group.
Lime Rock has some amazing roads for a good 30 to 40mile end of day ride.
and watkins is ridiculously awsome. i grew up in the Ithaca area and raced for Cornell for a few years. awsome terrain in taht neck of the woods.

id imagine the pace to be average, that 220 to 240 watts tempo thing, nothing out of hand. it would not be for beginner, but outside that, im sure we can make it work.

Is 220 ave wattage? Thats my FTP
Old 05-03-2012, 10:30 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Check this out fellow cyclists; a Martini Racing liveried Specialized Shiv.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:15 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Originally Posted by Chris M.
Check this out fellow cyclists; a Martini Racing liveried Specialized Shiv.
I am not worthy of that!
Old 05-04-2012, 09:02 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I was nearly arrested for riding a lap at WGI, I wouldn't suggest it. Some redneck security guard in a pickup truck went ballistic on me a few years ago.

Quick Reply: Any good cyclists out there going to LRP, WGI, NJMP Club races, bring bikes,training?