Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 Open diff vs. LSD

Old 04-22-2012, 03:34 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The LSD will make a bigger difference than the shorter 5th (I have both) but if you're going to put one in I would suggest getting a Gaurds LSD

http://www.guardtransmission.com/index.html

You won't be sorry you spent the coin.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:00 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by smlporsche
The LSD will make a bigger difference than the shorter 5th (I have both) .
That is depenant on the track. If you are racing another 944 on a track that uses 5th gear you will get beat easily by car with a short 5th. What will happen is right at 100 mph when you shift to 5th the car with shorter gear will simply drive right by and there is NOTHING you can do to stop it. It may not look horrible on overall lap time, but in practice you will beat badly.

If you don't need 5th gear then... Well then that is very different.

As for the LSD impact. Good suspension tuning and drive skill can make up for alot. I won alot of races with an open diff and short 5th gear. I dailed in my chassis for the open diff and adjusted lines for it. In my case near all my tracks used 5th gear to some degree and I could compensate for the diff, but not for lack of gear. In 2009 I ran the fastest practice lap at NASA Nationals at Miller Motorsports park using a short 5th open diff box. I also led half the laps in 34 car field and nearly won. I finished 2.5 seconds out of first in 4th place after 40 mintues. The top 4 cars had a mixture of factory LSD, Guard diff, phamtom grip and open diff. All the cars did have a short 5th however.

I have since moved to a LSD box and found little to any improvment in lap times. Driveability is better though since it is a little easier to drive at qualifying pace as the diff gives better stability under trail braking and allows me to optimize the chassis a bit mor for the different turns. I used to have really adjust it to minimized corner exit wheel spin and that compromise would impact balance else where.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:15 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Joe illustrates a real problem in a spec series. "cheater drivers". While everyone else is distracted by the cars performance, these guys are spending massive amounts of time developing unfair advantages by making improvements to the driver. This includes things like faster reaction time, racecraft and concentration. Not to mention attention to detail and extensive seat time. This is exactly the kind if thing that can ruin a spec series. We've all signed a petition to protest Joe, he has to go in for a full physical including a treadmill dyno,l and we are considering that he will have to put on 50lbs by eating big macs, drive with a tennis ball under the accelerator and with one hand in his pocket at all times...we really need to clamp down on this kind of cheating...
Old 04-23-2012, 11:46 AM
JerryW
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by J richard
Joe illustrates a real problem in a spec series. "cheater drivers". While everyone else is distracted by the cars performance, these guys are spending massive amounts of time developing unfair advantages by making improvements to the driver. This includes things like faster reaction time, racecraft and concentration. Not to mention attention to detail and extensive seat time. This is exactly the kind if thing that can ruin a spec series. We've all signed a petition to protest Joe, he has to go in for a full physical including a treadmill dyno,l and we are considering that he will have to put on 50lbs by eating big macs, drive with a tennis ball under the accelerator and with one hand in his pocket at all times...we really need to clamp down on this kind of cheating...
Agreed - and we have a couple in NorCal that need the same scruitinizing
Old 04-23-2012, 12:30 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

We've all signed a petition to protest Joe, he has to go in for a full physical including a treadmill dyno,l and we are considering that he will have to put on 50lbs by eating big macs, drive with a tennis ball under the accelerator and with one hand in his pocket at all times...we really need to clamp down on this kind of cheating...
Me??? How many races have I won in the past few years?

BTW.. I just don't think you like me any more Jim after chasing you in your Boxster...

Old 04-23-2012, 08:13 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

ROFL! This is classic. Every region has them
Old 04-23-2012, 08:45 PM
JerryW
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Updated the Spec Rules Discussion page with it - Too good not to make sure everyone knows.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 944 Open diff vs. LSD