Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Racing & Drivers Education Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum-65/)
-   -   How much time to keep a 944-spec car up? (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/681393-how-much-time-to-keep-a-944-spec-car-up.html)

Configur8rs 02-19-2012 11:46 AM

How much time to keep a 944-spec car up?

I'm doing some research towards getting a dedicated racing car, looking to purchase at the end of this year. Budget is around $15k, max, for the car/spares. I've got another bucket of money for the trailer so, say, $20k for the entire package. I want to try a few different cars of different types this year while I work towards a license.

I'm looking hard at 944-spec cars. They're in the budget and they're a Porsche. But I'm worried about the amount of work I'll put into keeping one going. Obviously that will depend on what I end up with, but I'm trying to get a feel for what other folks are doing, how much time, what types of work they've done recently on their cars.

I can't count on any help for maintenance, and I travel a lot for business (like, constantly). I unfortunately don't get a lot of "garage time", so a relatively low maintenance requirement is a high priority.

Also thinking about having a decently-size competitive class. I'm in southwest Missouri - closest track is Hallett with Topeka and MAM within six hours' drive.

Any feedback?

multi21 02-19-2012 04:25 PM

"More than you thought it was going to cost" is the only advise I can give you. I bought my 944 spec about 1 1/2 years ago based on friends recommendations and it's really been a fun car to drive, but let's face it, its a 27 year old car and things break.

The parts are cheap enough, but you really need two things:

Time
and
ability to do your own work to make it "affordable" whatever that is.

I like you, travel a lot for business and am not able to work on my own car so I just know that after each race weekend there is a 75% chance I'll be dropping it off at a shop for some kind of work and have to pay shop hours. I consider myself lucky if nothing needs to be taken care of after a race weekend.

Now Joe P in Arizona is the exact opposite. He is all in as a DIY and even broke down his expenses in Excel spreadsheet format.

Guarantee that 99% of us don't add up the expenses because it's too painful and don't want to know.

Also consider how many times you will have it on track. Honestly, tires and brakes are very very cheap and are not a high wear item on this car. Repairs such as wheel bearings seem to be common and sometimes "stuff" happens.

Your budget is right in line with expectations. Maybe a little high on car and little low on trailer. Having a Featherlite open trailer with tire rack has been a wonderful experience.

cello 02-19-2012 04:40 PM

To get an immersive experience thru a race season, read Cris Brady's Blog here: http://alpinemotorsports.blogspot.com/ .. Go back to Dec 2011 and before and you can read on a season of 944 Cup/PCA racing. Cris is hands on so you can see what he does/has had to do. Plus, his Blog is downright entertaining and funny. Cris (Cris Brady) posts here every once in a while so maybe he will chime in.

Configur8rs 02-19-2012 04:43 PM

Pete - I appreciate the response. I was thinking that a trailer with tire rack is a given. I looked at Featherlite's site, didn't see anything with the track. Is that an option or standard configuration?

GuyIncognito 02-19-2012 04:47 PM

how much time do you have? that's how much. ;)

where in SWMO are you? just curious, I'm from STL originally.

multi21 02-19-2012 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Configur8rs (Post 9291130)
Pete - I appreciate the response. I was thinking that a trailer with tire rack is a given. I looked at Featherlite's site, didn't see anything with the track. Is that an option or standard configuration?

You're going to have a hard time getting a new Featherlite for 5-6K. This is just my opinion and others will disagree, but the ideal first trailer would be a used Featherlite 3110 model that is 17.5" long. The tire rack is an option when buying new, but I found one with one install when I bought a used one. Start looking now because they are not a dime a dozen.

A tongue toolbox and wench is good and fuel jug holders on the trailer is a nice touch.

Configur8rs 02-19-2012 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by GuyIncognito (Post 9291136)
how much time do you have? that's how much. ;)

where in SWMO are you? just curious, I'm from STL originally.

I'm in Springfield.

Yeah, what I'm worried about is just not having *enough* time, between my travel and caring for the acreage I have. I guess I'm just a glutton for punishment.

I'm also looking at Spec Racer Fords and shifter karts as a lower-maintenance option, to run for the next 2-3 years while I build up some experience.

M_Weining 02-19-2012 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by cello (Post 9291125)
To get an immersive experience thru a race season, read Cris Brady's Blog here: http://alpinemotorsports.blogspot.com/ .. Go back to Dec 2011 and before and you can read on a season of 944 Cup/PCA racing. Cris is hands on so you can see what he does/has had to do. Plus, his Blog is downright entertaining and funny. Cris (Cris Brady) posts here every once in a while so maybe he will chime in.

You need to factor in that the only luck Cris has is "bad" luck. He's won the Delaware PCA "broken wheel award" so many times he is no longer eligible for it. His stories are always a great read. For some of his earlier adventures go to http://www.crisbrady.net/track.html & http://www.crisbrady.net/speed.html & http://www.crisbrady.net/944NA-23.html

93 FireHawk 968 02-19-2012 06:39 PM

I run a track only 968 and although the acquistion cost is less than newer Boxsters, Caymens and Cups it can be pretty expensive over the course of the season. Wear items alone can add up and you're always going to break something at the track even with impeccable maintenance. Normally aspirated 944's are cheaper and more reliable than Turbo's. My recomendation is to buy the newest, best prepared car your budget allows. Make sure there are impeccable maintenance and upgrade records to ensure it's been well maintained. I suggest you buy a car that can be serviced by a local race shop unless you have time and above average mechanical skills. I do most of the routine maintenance on my car but use a shop for the "heavy lifting" when time and true skill is lacking. Keep a decent slush fund for the unexpected repairs, there going to happen.

As for a trailer, I have a Trailex and love it. Not cheap but high quality construction.

Good luck.

cello 02-19-2012 06:42 PM

:evilgrin: Mark, are you telling the OP that Cris's 944 experience is unusual ??? Are you a betting man? :evilgrin:

:D

Point taken tho. I posted it bec/ Cris' Blog should be read as its fun and has good Beer recs to boot; and yes I read the back issues too... ;)

multi21 02-19-2012 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Configur8rs (Post 9291299)
I'm also looking at Spec Racer Fords and shifter karts as a lower-maintenance option, to run for the next 2-3 years while I build up some experience.

Karting is a great way to get up to speed very quickly. In fact, when you drive a kart and then get into a car, everything seems like it's in slow motion, BUT Competitive karting is not much cheaper. The optimal word is "competitive". Two stroke engines are finicky, new tires for each race weekend are necessary to be "competitive".

I bought my 944 for less than I could buy a new 125cc kart with good chassis. Blue printing engines, specialized parts etc. really add up in karting.

If you're going to go to the track for practice days, no problem, but the race bug will bite you and pretty soon you'll be looking at the local club schedule....

PM ltc, I'm sure he had horror stories, but I've known guys that have spent small fortunes on their kids "hobby"...

J richard 02-19-2012 07:46 PM

Well...

I've run shifter karts, 911s, 964s a 944spec, Gt3Cup,and most recently put the final touches on my spec boxster. I have considerable experience with air-cooled Pcars, less with the wet ones, but like you I don't have the time to do my own work anymore. As much as it pains me, because I do enjoy it, I send it to the shop...

None of this is cheap, and it does take considerable time; how much of either becomes a personal decision.

Sticking a piston in a shifter can run you $2500, bending an axle $500, crash? Gearbox? Tires $200 a set, but two sets for a weekend... Ironicaly very close to 944spec costs.

But after several seasons with the 944 and several replaced/rebuilt motors (almost all died due to the #2 rod, with very little warning, some go years, one went in one weekend on a fresh rering, I think attention to detail and refreshing everything to factory is critical) it turns out that the famous $600 replacement engines are really more like $2500-$4000 depending on who does the work and how carefully it is done. If I added up the number of blown motors in the 944 ironically I'm at the price of a nice finished spec boxster...

So now we'll see how this next step works out, ims, accusump, baffle, all done, so far I'm very happy with it but the field here is thin to nonexistent. During the build I was sourcing parts, turns out, Ironically, that many of the same parts are of GT3/cup lineage...and the same price.

So the irony is: its more cost effective to buy a Cup and pay for track support, cause that's where you'll end up anyway...

M_Weining 02-19-2012 07:52 PM

Cello: Cris' "bad" luck pre-dated his 944 experience. However, his current ride my now be a contributing factor, who knows.

One given is that I always enjoy reading his posts and hearing him tell of his track and car repair adventures. Quite the driver in the rain also.

Configur8rs: For SRF info you might want to pm RennListers Potomac-Greg or Circuit Motorsports.

gums 02-20-2012 10:43 PM

I'd say that Pete and Joe (Firehawk 968) have given you realistic advice, and from solid experieince. My experiences with racing have taught me that the initial outlay is relatively inconsequential; more important is what it takes to campaign it. That's the money you'll lose. For instance; if a car requires race fuel in this day and age; forget it! To that end, no question; 944's are getting old. Parts are relatively cheap, but they're often used salvage parts. They're still very good value for racing, with very satisfying performance, but for a little extra I'm much happier in the upper 944 class (Turbos, S2, 968) over spec, faster and I think safer, too. Lastly, a quality aluminum trailer holds its value even better than the car. Don't scrimp on that.

APKhaos 02-21-2012 12:10 AM

The 'hidden' factor in 944 race classes is that many [most?] of the cars had 100K miles + on the clock before they were re-purposed as race cars. Start with everything beat up and it almost inevitable that things will break. Still, they are a great introductory race ride and the 944Cup paddock was one great bunch of guys all helping each other out when it came to getting the cars ready to race.

FWIW, the SRF is probably a less expensive and more reliable platform. Great SRF racing almost everywhere in the country too.